Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Teakwood, sweet myrrh, beeswax rosin, and driftwood.

I smelled this at the the Dirty South Lunacy, but didn’t get to skin test. In the bottle it smelled light and sweet, but I wanted to do a larger test area than I had room on my arms and wrists after trying out so many new scents from the Lupercalia collection, so I did not skin test that day. 

My decant came yesterday in the mail, and I did a full test this morning. So far this is my favorite from the release. The beeswax is most prominent on skin, and in the background there is the softest floral note. I do not enjoy florals very often, and tend to find them too prominent in scents, but this is so light, that I am thinking it must be the driftwood which I read can smell slightly like Sandalwood as a scent note. So, not a true floral, more sandalwood.  I suppose this could be called a powdery note as well, however, it’s so ethereal, so blissfully soft and so pretty that I would own a thousand powdery scents if they all emulated this. 

It has medium throw and wear length.  ETA: medium throw, but it’s eight hours since I applied and still going strong. 

This morphed a lot on me.

In the bottle: sweet, beeswax, dry wood.

Wet: SWEET BABY POWDER, LORD HELP ME.

Dry: after about a half hour the powder dissipates and I'm left with a dusty (think mummies of Mexico City dusty), warm, slightly incensey, dry, spicy wood scent somebody rubbed some beeswax on. One of the woods is similar to sandalwood. The myrrh starts to peek out again over time.

It reminds me of a hot, dry day at the beach when you've had enough and come in covered in sand and smelling like the sun and driftwood you were sitting on.

Medium throw.

I was interested in trying this one because of the beeswax rosin. Well, the beeswax rosin is present throughout wear, but it's delicate. I get a lot of teakwood from this, which ended up being too sharp on me, just as I feared it would be. The driftwood note (I can see this being like a somewhat salty sandalwood) is the second most prominent woody note, and the myrrh ends up being a powdery variety after several hours of wear. It ends up being like a woody cologne on me backed by some powdery myrrh.

While I appreciate the beeswax rosin, I prefer The Mountebank and Thieves' Rosin over this one, as it has more oomph in those blends. The teakwood was a bully on me for too long for me to want to wear this again, sadly, even though I enjoy the other notes.

BPAL's beeswax and honey notes have a tendency to go horrible on me, but I opted to give this one a shot anyway as I've been craving a good teakwood blend lately for some reason. Happily the beeswax rosin behaves nicely here, blending well with the myrrh to lend a musky incensey sweetness. But the real star here is the woods, of course! They're old and dusty, well-worn by time and use, tinged with salt. I get the impression of pews from an old beachside church, reclaimed by the ocean, washed back ashore and carved into some sort of religious symbol to be sold to raise funds so the locals can restore the church to its former glory.

I don't know how often I would wear this as it's pretty intense wood and feels a bit more masculine than I typically go, but it's hitting my sweet spot right now.

Huh. Smells a lot sweeter on me than other reviewers?

Wet: got Marc Jacobs for Men, if anyone remembers that lovely discontinued scent *sob*. Lots of teakwood and smells strong like Antikythera Mechanism.

Dry: beeswax rosin-warm spicy and gummy, sweet resinous myrrh and a sexy teakwood. It does have a drier parchment feel in this phase but not overwhelmingly so. Pretty damn accurate scent.

Better than I thought it would fare!