Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Fallen

... A regal scent, glowing darkly, elegant and patrician, but unfathomably desolate. Cherubic white sandalwood and golden musk with a dark halo of amber, a breath of imperial florals, unbending woods, and the shadow cast by vetiver and violet.

This smells exactly like a floral version of Blood Amber at first. Very pretty.

Sadly it turns really powdery on my skin as it dries down- possibly the floral note?

The musk in Fallen is very pretty, but not for me.

Fallen

In the imp: soft, angelic, slightly musky florals with gentle sandalwood.

Wet on skin: ah, here comes something a bit more sinister…I get a hint of piercing dry woods now mingling with the white flowers, and I also get violet now.

Dry: hmm, this is an unusual scent, but it seems fitting. You get a sense of something heavenly and yet something dark lurks underneath. Lovely light flowers with musk and a hint of sweet amber dance on the top of the scent, but then a harsh, almost burnt, woody scent hits your nose. A dusting of violet covers the scent. An intriguing scent that seems fitting, but I’m not sure about this harsh woody note yet. Maybe it will calm down. I’m not getting vetiver yet.

After a while: that harsh wood note calms down-it’s still there but it’s softer and mixes better with the scent. Now I get this lovely soft coating of amber, musk, sandalwood and flowers, with the darker notes simmering underneath. The vetiver isn’t amping up like there’s no tomorrow in this, but I do get a hint of it. I like smelling like Lucifer…now I never thought I’d say that! The soft, gentle musk-sandalwood-floral scent reminds me of another BPAL-is it Ave Maria Gratia Plena? I’m not sure but it’s lovely and it gets stronger in this scent, and I can hardly smell the dark notes after a while.

Verdict: I really like this scent, and angelic, luminous scent with a dark side. At first I wasn’t sure of it-there was a harsh woody note that freaked me out a bit, smelt burnt and odd on my skin…but that fades, leaving behind a gorgeous halo of scent-a delightful mix of soft flowers, velvety light musk, sandalwood and amber, a radiant white scent that seems heavenly and gentle…though the darker notes lurk underneath, they don’t disturb the supposed purity of the scent. This is a very pleasant and light scent, though I’m not sure I would get a bottle because of that strange burnt wood note I got at first, but the drydown is fantastic. I’m keeping the imp.

This is hard to classify, because it's woodsy as well as perfumey and a bit floral. I can smell the sandalwood on top, and it's undershadowed by a dark, mysterious floral note, which must be the violet and vetiver. Normally I'm not a fan of either of those two notes, but they seem to work well with this one. I can't detect any of the amber, but since it's supposed to be "dark" it probably just blends so nicely that I can't pick it out individually. I think this would nice on a male or female. I think I will definitely keep my imp.

:P :D

I was so hoping this one would work out! It started out all perfect and violet and sweetly ambered and wooded, but then the vetiver came sneaking it's bullish way into things, and that was the only bit that stuck around. I bet this one would smell quite lovely on a man, though, and usually I'm all about smelling rather guy-like, as some florals make me want to beat up a cheerleader somewhere, but alas, Fallen was simply not to be. So sad. :D

I found this scent to be a very nice, sweet floral with an incense- like undertone. On me it was soft and pleasantly surprising. It fades pretty fast, in about half an hour it was almost gone. I might need a big bottle of this.

- FALLEN -

In the bottle: Soft florals, warm amber with a hint of violet.

Wet: lovely! Soft, warm, woody, violet.

Dry down: As this dries, the sandalwood starts to come forward in the blend as the amber and musk recede. They are still there but it is just a hint. The sandalwood is giving the violets a sugary smell - mmm! No vetiver, and just a hint of woods - I don't know what kind of woods though.

Conclusion: Once again, this is just lovely. I am a relieved that I don't get any vetiver whatsoever because most of the things that have vetiver in them = stinky skin on me. Not this! This is a warm, sensous, earthy violet (perfect for me - Taurus is my sign) If you usually don't do vetiver, Fallen deserves to be given a chance. The throw is perfect and this lasted on my skin well beyond 4 hours.

at first: i can smell the amber, musk, woods, and violet. very pretty and soft.

on: dark and a bit smoke. possibly some dark fruits.

half an hour later: hot and dark. a lot of dark notes and a bit of spice.

1 hour later: spices and woods.

2 hours later: sweet amber, woods, and something powdery.

overall: this is a very beautiful and full scent. unfortunately, i don't think it's for me.

In the Bottle:The blending on this is amazing. Everything seems to move and mingle together. It reminds me of a scene from the movie “From Hell” where the Ripper is silhouetted against a darkened street. His cloak billowing behind him, the moon full and pregnant with danger. It seems dangerous, potent and thrillingly sensual.

Wet: Oh it stays the same on my wrist, deep, dark, sexually charged and violent. I can tell it’s going to go bad though already. It’ll be going to the husband.

Drydown: Violet and wood.

Perhaps it's the sandalwood or some other type of wood, but this smelled like a lighter version of patchouli on me, with nothing else. I don't get any florals at all.

A clean, pale scent in the bottle, like a floral wreath – I think I'm getting musk, too, but I can't tell for sure. That might be the sandalwood. This is a very blended scent, complex, and in the bottle the layers haven't separated. Again, very clean and light, yet definite and assured. It's not a loud smell, but it isn't shy either. It's an unfailingly proud scent.

On my skin, lovely and female while wet, and as it dries it . . . changes. Turns. It goes from cool and white to warm and golden as the musk comes up and the sandalwood begins to smolder. I'm not smelling the amber, which is a shame, as I love the smell of it. I'm not getting the vetiver either, which is also a shame, as I was hoping for more of an edge.

Dry, I get a little of the edge I wanted; there's a hint of something sharper and more masculine, probably the vetiver, and the sandalwood is getting smoky. The smell is darkening, blackening at the edges. The amber at last makes a late entry, faintly, even as the scent is fading.

This is really a beautiful scent. It's a bit light on me – I prefer a scent with some bottom, and I like sexy, earthy scents, but I might get a bottle of this sometime, for those nights out when I want to smell cool and distant and proud and not quite so smolderingly sexy.

It ends up a bit smoky and musky, but also powdery in a pleasant sort of way. This scent is so complex and layered that I'm going to have to come back to it repeatedly to make heads or tails of it. Like a song you just can't listen to once.

The overall effect is of a phosphorus flash of light, followed by flame, followed by a burn-down that leaves only crumbling ashes. The Fall is an apt metaphor. This is the scent of Lucifer in all his unbending pride.

Oh...

is angelic and precious and...

smells exactly like my beloved granny did :D

wise and simple

powerful and fragile

:P

and that's the point: I adore fallen, but I definitely wouldn't wear it

I couldn't, it simply isn't me

:D

pity

Edited by bacca

In the bottle: Flowers! Not sweet, innocent flowers... as mentioned in the lab's description, this smells regal, refined.

On me: Oh, it is so gorgeous! I'm not getting a lot of woody notes, but the flowers and the amber really go all out!

... for half an hour. After that, it vanishes without a trace, not even powder is left. WHY?!? :P

Edited by Diva Urd

Damn my floral-amping skin! The description of this one sounds really good to me, but on me, it's just violet, violet, and more violet. There are faint shadows of other things in the background -- mainly other florals -- but for the most part it's just The Violet Show. Hard to believe this is supposedly a men's scent -- it smells like an old-lady floral on me.

And yet... Eventually, the violet fades, and it dries down to a realy nice musk-sandalwood-amber scent with just a hint of floral. Maybe that's what it would have smelled like to start with on someone else. I guess this is one of those ones like Snake Oil and Penny Dreadful where the eventual result is nice, but it takes its time getting there and what you have to go through in the meantime isn't really worth it, at least for me.

Grade: C

I was afraid to try this, as my skin really amps musk. The rest of the ingredients work well on me, so I gave it a shot.

It was far better than I'd hoped for.

Wet, the sandalwood, amber, and musk are fiery-bright while the vetiver gives it an underlying darkness. The blend is beautiful, glowing, and arrogant, on the verge of streaking downward like a comet.

As it dries, the vetiver gets stronger and colder and the woods (patchouli maybe, or cedar?) come out, grounding the blend. The musk turns sharper and very feral while the amber and sandalwood retain their sense of heat. The Morningstar has gone to earth to lick his wounds. Wafts of violet give this a wistful edge and the florals keep any sourness from the patchouli and vetiver at bay.

Fallen is refined, fiercely passionate under an aloof exterior, somewhat melancholy, and very dangerous--exactly how a fallen angel should smell.

Another big bottle purchase.

Edited by PirateMaggie

In the bottle: spicy, warm, smokey and sweet

On the skin: Normally I can't tolerate sandalwood and musk in huge doses, but this is so light that I like it. The amber blends and warms it more. it smells more woodlands then floral. It's not heavy, and it doesn't throw far, but I like this. It was a frimp from the Lab, and the first frimp I'd gotten that I fell in love with without having ever been interested in it.

I really want to mix it with Brimstone.

Scent in bottle: I'm mainly getting sandalwood from the bottle, with some other things at the back that are too faint and well-blended to pick out.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Yum! But what is it? Some nice musk and amber, I think, and violet, and the sandalwood's still there.

Dry -- It's so pretty! Amber, musk, sandalwood, some floral and woody notes, all so well-blended that I have a lot of trouble picking them out. This musk likes me -- I should try to figure out what other things have that in it.

Conclusion: Shiny! Luckily, this is not at all in the category of "disturbingly well-named BPAL scents".

In the imp, to my nose, Fallen is a sweet perfume scent. It's one of the more perfume-y BPAL oils I've tested, with a sweetness that keeps it from being generic. Wet, it has a familiar smell, something I classified as "chewy" in my notes that I think is a combination of sandalwood and violet. It's full of earthy florals. That sounds gross, especially the chewy part, but it's really catchy.

Dry, though, it does what most sandalwood does on my skin and turns into a powdery incense that really doesn't work on me, although I can smell the violets underneath that, which makes me really wish it would work. It's an interesting scent, though, even if it's not entirely my thing.

One word, LOVE. This oil did for me what O promised: musk and amber and patchouli, throwing in the floral, making me joyful and sexy and sniffing my wrists again and again and again... Many people seem to not agree with vetiver; it is wonderful to me. Sandalwood was one note I never got. But who cares!

EDIT: After applying it on my wrist at midnight and sniffing it again at around 3 pm the following day (another reason for me to love it) I do finally get sandalwood.

On order for 5 mL, thinking it should have been 10. Want more! Can't live without it in my nights!

Edited by indicolite

Why did I put this on my swap list again? Trying it before I mail it off, and...

Lovely. The sandalwood, lilies and amber make it regal but sweet, the musk adds sexiness, the dreaded violets and vetiver add support without ever becoming icky. Clean, elegant, not a huge throw, but beautiful and dignified while still being warm.

I may have to get this again.

The first time I tried Fallen, I fell in love. Not for the first few seconds - actually, at first, I hated it. I don't remember why, seeing as that was three months ago now. But I do remember that it quickly morphed into something delicious. It was almost like a calmer version of The Lion, which is pure spice on me. It reminded me of my mom's signature perfume (Avon's Imari, I think), so I sent her my imp to enjoy.

I began to miss Fallen, so I finally ordered a bottle. Sadly, it smells completely different on me now! It's all light florals and powder. No power at all, like it was before. I hope I was just having an off chemistry day, because it smelled so good the first time around. :P

Bottle: florals, especially the violet, and a hint of wood.

Wet: the violet remains in front, the woody notes have receded. a hint of amber.

Dry: a decadent, definitely purple, set of heady florals. no vetiver, for which I am grateful, but also little of the amber and no musk, which I had hoped for more.

Later: still no musk, a hint of the amber..mostly the purple florals. pretty, more feminine that I would expect for Lucifer, tho.

I love this - I liked it in the bottle, I liked it more on me. The only thing is the throw isn't very good on me - the scent doesn't stay on my skin. This is one I'd love to try in a scent locket because I would love to smell this all day (even though I do prefer how it smells after applied and right after it dries).

This is much warmer and sweeter than I expected it to be. It's kind of heavy. Floral for sure. It's very nice. I'm pretty sur I'm getting amber in with the flowers.

Normally, my reviews are much more detailed, but...

In the bottle, I get sandalwood and florals, with a hint of amber. Very classic perfume-y. However, it takes application to my wrist before this one comes into its full glory.

Anybody else remember Ciara? The high-concentrate, 200 strength, department store variety?

This is what Ciara wants to be when it grows up.

Fallen has none of the powdery fustiness of the above-mentioned commercial formal fragrance. There's also none of the gigantic, overwhelming throw that it so often has. Fallen stays warm, regal, and compelling. After an initial wet sharpness, none of the notes becomes predominant; it stays beautifully blended from application to maturity.

It's supposed to be a gender-neutral blend (and I'd love to see what the rub-off smells like on male skin), but on me, it works beautifully. Fallen is a sophisticated, evening-out, hair put up, tickets to the ballet and candlelight dinner kind of fragrance.

Definitely an addition to the big-bottle list.