Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Fallen

This is our song to Lucifer, Lucis Ferre, Heosphoros, the Morning Star, the Brilliant One and the Son of the Morning. He is equated with Samhazai, the Heaven-Seizer, and Azazel, one of the 200 Fallen Angels of Enoch. The essence of overweening pride and unearthly angelic beauty. A regal scent, glowing darkly, elegant and patrician, but unfathomably desolate. Cherubic white sandalwood and golden musk with a dark halo of amber, a breath of imperial florals, unbending woods, and the shadow cast by vetiver and violet.

Fallen was a wee giftie imp from the Lab. I'm very grateful to have the chance to try it.

When it first hits my skin, all is well. I get a waft of incensey-sandalwood, which is really nice. So far so good. But then, uh oh...here comes the musk. Musk doesn't like me. I wait out the drydown, hoping that the muskiness will dissipate, but alas...it sticks around all the way through the flowery bottom of this blend.

The description of Fallen really grabbed me, but the musk is more than my skin can take. Damn. :P

On me, this becomes a nice sandelwood and musk with a bit of florals that give it lightness, very nice with great staying power. :P

On me, sandalwood + musk = dragon's blood. Seriously, Fallen is almost like single-note dragon's blood on me, but with a touch of creaminess and faint floral. This seems perfectly appropriate to me, since I associate Lucifer with serpants and dragons. I like it, but when I'm in a rich/dark mood I tend to reach for Tintagel instead. But I wanted Fallen more for DH anyway, and I think it will be lovely on him.

The only thing that could make me try this was that I'm on a mission to try all the scents. Otherwise I'd have avoided this like the plague as it has sandalwood and vertiver in it. Yup insta-powder and insta-rank on me (neither of these notes appreciates me much.) Predominantly sandalwood with a touch of floral this was powdery, soft, nd more fallen angel than Lucifer on me. Ah well. Off it goes.

In the imp: light floral with a hint of vanilla.

On the skin: a really warm, honeyed floral. Jasmine... honeysuckle...

As it dries the light musk comes through. Oh, this is a really sweet and gentle floral. Feminine, but not too girly for me.

(edited, because I posted the review for a different scent here at first!)

Edited by fathom

In the bottle: Something strong, almost masculine. And something that smells like apples? :D

On Skin: I still have that pungent musky sort of smell. More of the florals are starting to peek out. I don't know if this is me yet but it is a truly gorgeous smell to sniff. There is a woodsy smell to it now.

On Drydown:Still very masculine and very earthy. I really enjoy this scent but it's definitely a boy scent in my mind. I get whiffs of the florals now and then and its such a tantalizing combination. This is powerful and beautiful, with a certain degree of arrogance with just enough softness to pardon the arrogance.

Verdict: I'm going to slather this on the boy now. Excuse me. :P

I cant pick out the floral notes that reviewers prior have noted but I do get the musky dark sandalwood and something definitely "uncommon" a real different kind of scent. Rare even. I like it and would like to have a bottle to soak in as it has me completely captured. I also can see where this could be a masculine scent as well but nah, think I will wear it instead :P

Well, this is not working on me. The "breath of imperial florals" must contain jasmine, which becomes very heavy, cloying, and burnt-smelling on my skin. I can smell the wood and violet, but the jasmine smell is overwhelming them and everything else. It smells a lot better in the imp than on me: a spicy, sweet wood blend with violet.

I was curious to try this because it has many notes I like or love --- florals, violet, sandalwood, vetiver --- and one I don't like, --- musk, but I'd never tried golden musk. Alas, the musk did dominate so I won't get more. I''ll use the imp though when I want to wear something dark, rich, and complex.

The musk and amber stay in the forefront of this the whole time and the flowers (white flowers, I expect) are nearby in the background. I don't get much violet or any vetiver at all. For a brief time amber and sandalwood are at the top and that was really lovely, but alas it didn't last long.

Sadly, this didn't work for me. It was identical to Blood Amber, which is strange, because every scent but amber is usually fine on me. Ah well.

Fallen

In the imp Fallen is the color of fall leaves after they've crisped brown. Dark golden honey.

I was hesitant, thinking this would come off as too floral or light on me, but, thankfully, no problem with that. :P

Immediately after applying: Deep amber bedding down with warm gold musk, trailed by sandalwood. No signs of those 'imperial florals' or the additive 'violet'(for which I am very very glad of). This is a very majestic, detached sort of scent, the shadow of one who was forced to leave and lead a life of dissonance, a being caused to live an unfathomable existance apart. The sketch of a displaced form that is entirely of another place and time but inexplicably draws the mere mortals in like cattle. :D

Golden musks were prominent on me, cloaking the amber and feathering the sandalwood. Any vetiver went unfortunately unnoticed, but I'm very thankful this turned out so evoking a scent.

Short impression: Instant angel among humans factor, expecially if you're frequented by those 'off' days where you feel displaced from other earth dwellers :D . This will strengthen the "There's something inexplicably intriguing about (you)" reaction from strangers on the street...

Throw: 6/10(strength of scent, intensity level that was most prominent throughout wear) --and isn't this odd? Second application of fallen lasted longer than first---faded some around hour 1 but stayed steady past this stage for about 6-8 hours! Strange...

Impresses me to no end(alright, some end):8 and a half/10(not another point because throw is medium warm here).

Urgency in which I must buy this(!!):8/10. (8 because I have some suppression due to lack of funds) :D

Purchase of 5ml is more than likely in my immediate future :D

edited for adding of smiley icon where proper.

Court

Edited by Shollin

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Interesting.

In the imp/bottle: Sandalwood, musk and amber.

On skin, wet: Musky sandalwood and thick, warm amber. Beneath those, something floral. Woodsy, but floral.

On skin, dry: Nothing. This has no staying power on my skin.

Conclusion: This is very interesting, but not something I could see myself wearing. I do, however, think this would be great for scenting a room.

Edited by Aredhel

Fallen

On me this is a sweet, flowery, definitely "feminine" scent. It smells like a pretty average ladies perfume, slightly soapy. I might detect some musk and/or wood, but not enough to make it "masculine". I can't really pick out any individual notes.[/color]

Edited by Caltha

In Bottle: Floral musk.

On Skin: This is a very soft floral scent. The violet is strongest and the golden musk and sandalwood give it beautiful depth. I wish I liked florals because the beauty of this one is amazing, so dark yet so elegant. I get a blue/purple tone from this, like shadows in the mountains, very pretty.

Bottle (Imp): Wow, this totally confuses my nose. I have no clue.

Just On: It's not really dark, but feels dark, and not really.. I just don't know.

An hour or two later: Ouch, this has that cat pee thing going. Not strong, but enough to make me wrinkle my nose. I'm gonna blame vetiver, but I could be way off.

Around 6 hours: Or not cat pee. That didn't last long, which is good. Now, I'm thinking musk.

12 hours: Okay, it settled into a fairly nice, not quite powder scent. When I got up the next morning, some 19 hours after application, I had that beautiful amber powder scent.

Overall: This one morphed a LOT, and went through a brief really yucky stage on me. It must have amber to get to the glorious powder stage at the end, but I'm not sure I want to wait through all the rest to get to that.

After reading other reviews: I didn't really get all the good stuff out of this. I waver over doing it, but I think this has to be put on the can't wear list.

This is a very bold, assertive floral/amber/musk scent that evokes an image of rich, dark purple for me. However, whilst it goes on strong, it doesn't last very long for me at all. Nevertheless, a lovely rich scent with a lot of interesting, well-blended notes.

In the bottle: ? It's sweet. Why is Fallen sweet? It's very floral.

First on: Musk, myrrh (?), sandalwood, this is more along the lines of what I was thinking. It's very lovely, but there seems to be something creating a generic perfumy scent with me. Hopefully it goes away.

Drydown: Unfortunately for me, it's returned to that floral state. It's a really nice floral, not too sweet, not too strong, it's a light floral that has depth. I'm just not much of a floral person.

In the bottle - Mmm. Sweet and floral, but warmer than some of the lighter scents (like Ophelia). I can't really pick up anything in the bottle /but/ florals. It actually smells much like a lot of BPAL in the bottle. (So many things smell so similar...)

Wet - Hmmm. Nice enough, I suppose. The floral notes warm up a lot on my skin, which is probably the amber talking. Amber and....honeysuckle? Jasmine? I don't know. It actually smells rather like a less-offensive storebought perfume, like Poison or something.

Dry - As it wears on, the florals largely go away, leaving what I would assume is the musk/amber/wood combo. It's still a little 'store-bought' seeming, but it's less cheesy.

Final opinion - Another for the 'not bad, but I don't think I'll keep it' pile. There's stuff I like better, that's less overtly perfumy. It's not horrid, but it's not particularly noteworthy on me, either.

ADDED 10/27/06:

Mmhhh.. This is one of those scents that I tried, didn't make an impression, got another frimp later, retried, and fell in love with. Might've just been a 'bad skin day' the first time around, or possibly that its bottle-stage really isn't all that staggering.

In the bottle, it just sort of smells kind of perfumey. This is usually a turnoff for me, as 'perfumey in the bottle' usually means 'soapy on the skin'.

Aaah, but this is not soapy. Not at all.

Now, I like ambers, as a whole, but unadulterated AMBER tends to end up smelling like powder on me. It's NICE, but I don't really want to smell like Little Old Lady. Good for after the bath (I have an amber-based lotion I got from Victoria's Secret that I use after my shower) but not for daily wear.

This, however, is an amber with all the little old ladyness stripped out of it. It's fairly consistent from wet to drydown as being primarily amber, but the sandalwood sharpens the edges a little, and then there's the vetiver. I tend to amp vetiver into a sharpness that I don't honestly mind but a lot of people think smells of Simple Green (which isn't exactly the kind of thing to make me want to wear it a lot.) This blend, however, keeps it in check, and instead it remains a warm, wonderful amber that has enough else in it to keep it in the realm of 'golden' without being the least bit foofty. It's sweet, but not sickeningly so, and it doesn't scream PERFUME or SOAP at all. It's also nice in that the duration seems quite long, but you don't end up getting sick of it after an hour or two. This is definitely a win for the imp, and when it runs out, probably a bottle. I find myself reaching for the imp a lot, even over LEs like Jacob's Ladder.

Fallen could have been one of the BPALs that got away: it had been on my wishlist almost since the very beginning but I never got around to order it. So last time I placed an order, I decided that it was high time to give it a try.

I guess that my eye got caught by the musk, the amber and the violet, three of my favourite notes. I was a little nervous about the vetivert (it usually turns downright nasty on me) but I should not have worried.

For on my skin, Fallen is perfectly unoffensive, unobtrusive, dare I say it? -unremarkable.

From the description, I would have hoped for something with much more personality. It is not a bad scent on me by any means, it just lacks oomph and character.

It would probably make a nice bath oil, but I think I will give it as a "beginner's imp" to one of my friends who needs a non-threatening introduction to BPAL

Fallen

in vial: musk

wet: violet and musk

dry: amber and powdery violets...this is actually not too bad on me, considering violets usually hate me...lasts about 4 hours

verdict: not as bad as I expected (I always expect the worst from violets), but not for me...off to swaps

In the Imp

Perfumey. It smells like those random department store perfume vials your mother, grandmother, aunt, etc. always wore. Bad start.

On the Skin

It is much more refined and it smells as if it is unfurling upon my wrist. I think the musk note is giving me the wrong impression from the bottle, as it is starting to share the stage with other soft scents. Overall, even with the musk, this is a very delicate, quiet combination. Either it is or my body is willing it to be, but it is taking on a female quality to it.

Dry

The musk remained the strongest note throughout my experience. It resonnated from a soft bed of indistinguisible florals to create a very femmine scent. I am not a musk person, and yet I cannot find a reason to part with this one. I love it, and that is saying a lot since I am really not a musk person. Everytime I think this one will go to the swaps, I smell that unique blend and how lovely it is. It is very well balanced and if you do love musk then this will be a slice of heaven for you.

The sandalwood and musk are prominent in this one at first. It's heavy and woodsy to me. The musk has that hairspray smell going for it, and it's already giving me a headache. The sandalwood fades and perfumey florals come out to play. Did I mention that this is giving me a headache?

After about an hour, all of the other notes fade and this turns into a powdery violet perfume. Baby powder and violets.

I'm sad that this doesn't work on me. I really wanted to be able to wear a perfume called Fallen, when I was in one of my moody/self pitying moods. It would have gone along perfectly with my teenage angst, lol.

Both in the imp and just applied~Spicy floral (almost generic) perfume. Goes through a short period of woodsiness(is that word??) that's quite lovely. There's a touch of creaminess to it for a few minutes and then...jasmine :/ Jasmine with what feels/smells like cedar(YUM) trying to come through. Can it be?? Jasmine has lost the battle?? =)

Fallen is quite nice...I'll have to give it a couple of more tries to make sure that the jasmine is going to mind it's manners before I decide for sure on this one. But yeah, so far so good.

In The Bottle: On no my skin will ruin this, it smells so good too but I know that musk and violet and BlueStar don't mix.

Wet On Skin: It was worth a try but my skin just amps the heck out of musks and violets oh cruel fate.

Drydown: My body chemistry ruined this scent well before it dried so I washed it off.

Such a yummy scent but my body rejected it like a baboon heart. Stupid body. :P

sweet spicy sugared violets..

like those sugared violet drops in cute gilded boxes.."pastille de violettes!"

i like that candied purpleness.