Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Dripping Mountain

Terebinth resin, jasmine absolute, and snow magnolia.

Magnolia, jasmine, and a whiff of pine resin. Okay, hold up.

This is the first time a magnolia and jasmine blend didn't just HULK OUT into some horrible monster of a blend and death match my nose into submission by smelling of wet wool and cat pee.

This smells like creamy magnolias (yes, I know what they smell like, my MIL has a magnolia tree in her backyard), whiffs of delicate jasmine bloom, and underneath this pine resin. 

It's more of a skin scent, I'd say medium throw and wear length.

But hell and damnation, first magnolia-jasmine blend not to turn into a monster. BRAVO.

Jasmine from BPAL pretty much never shows up on my skin (or if it does, it's a weird dusty kind of smell), but I love white florals in general and I was hoping I could get something lovely from the magnolia (a beautiful blend BPAL doesn't use as often as I'd like).  I also am a big fan of pine + florals.

This scent has a weird, cucumber salad smell in the bottle in which I can't detect pine or any flowers at all, but on the skin it's all pine and a very soft floral.  I do think I recognize the magnolia from The Bride, but here it's cool and not very strong.  I wonder if there's actually a snow note in here; I could swear it smells a little bit snowy and minty.  But then again, there is a lot of pine and they have a few snow notes with pine in them.

I don't know how magnolia ages, but this is largely pine with some hints of magnolia on me.

ETA: So giving this even just a couple more days to settle, the magnolia is much stronger!  It's never strong - it's a very unobtrusive scent - but I like it very much.  A very happy addition to my small yet beloved Piney Flowers family.

Edited by PrinceofcatS

At first, this is pine resin heavy with a hint of white floral, but the floral notes come out more as it dries and it is gorrrrgeous.  Oh my.  I agree with zee zee that the final effect of this one is that of a real magnolia, wet with a little dew.  The pine resin in the end is really more of a suggestion, like a scent on a breeze.  

The first whiff on me is just of the pine resin. For some reason, I'm getting a little pine, and also a lot of something odd that reminds me of yew berries.

That settles down quickly, though, into a faint, gentler pine. Magnolia and a mild jasmine come forth.

From that point, the blend is a very pretty, soft white floral, though it doesn't last an hour on me.

This is a graceful, delicate whisper of jasmine that stays close to the skin. I'm impressed that these three notes harmonize so prettily together, and especially pleased to find a jasmine fragrance that doesn't scream of cloying soap after I apply it. I'm not sure whether to spring for a bottle of this one, but definitely feel fortunate to have my imp and might try to swap for a little more.

Uhhmmm the pine resin is pretty damn relaxed? Its mostly magnolia. Without referencing, I smelled white tea and lemony incense like under the mosquito netting. Some might say "that's symptoms of a smelling seizure. Head straight to the perfume hospital" but I say pfffhh I'm fiiinnneee lets have another.

Mmm. Sweet magnolia almost honeyed. I love this. Its green and fresh and watery without being "aquatic".

Snow dripping down a mountain and into a grove of blooming magnolias. Cool magnolia is very present in this one, with a shimmer of light jasmine and something green, but honestly I was hoping for a ton of terebinth pine from this (love that note!) and there's very little of it here. Which is great news for the floral lovers, while those who want RESIN might be a bit disappointed.

Very fresh, very late winter-early spring.

In the imp: A light, cool, almost watery scent. Is this BPAL's snow note?? I'm actually pretty unfamiliar with this note, but it does kinda remind me of Pink Snowballs, the only other snow note I have. Otherwise, I'm getting mostly terebinth pine (I think? definitely resin/sap, not wood) and omnidirectional white florals. I wouldn't be able to identify them as magnolia and just a whiff of jasmine without knowing that's what they are beforehand. 

Wet: This gives a very early-spring impression, like icemelt swelling a stream or grass and flowers just starting to peek out from the snow at the roots of a tree, but at first it's so well-blended that I cannot for the life of me pick out any distinct notes. After a few minutes, the magnolia makes itself known, and just a breath of jasmine, subtle but distinctive, arrives shortly thereafter. Terebinth pine is a note I'm also not super familiar with, but if that's whatever is rounding out and grounding the florals, not overwhelming them but giving them another dimension, then sign me up!

Dry: I'd say that by now the terebinth resin (lighter and less abrasive than other pines) is dominant; the florals are soft but still present. The jasmine might be eclipsing the magnolia, but again, it's so well-blended that it's hard to tell. This is a wonderfully subtle scent overall; it wears close to the skin but I get the most lovely, elusive whiff every so often to remind me that I'm wearing something gorgeous.

I haven't worn this since I tested it after arrival, because I had a feeling aging would help it immensely. My instinct was correct! Reviewing with over a year of aging at play. 

In the bottle - This, in the bottle, smells like something that would have been at home in The Last Unicorn collection. A light but somehow also deep/dark floral, with something cool and a little aquatic about it.

Wet - It goes on like in the bottle. Gentle jasmine and magnolia are evenly mixed, gently wafting closely about me along with a cool, watery pine. 

Dry: When I first bought this, it went on a little too strong and a little too soapy. So, I stuck it in the drawer to age and promptly forgot about it, naturally. Even though it was alphabetically organized along with the rest of my bottles. Anyway, it's been aging about 1 year and 3 months, and the floral notes are MUCH more manageable than before. Florals can sometimes be hit or miss on me, and this went from miss to hit! When dry, it's a gentle, fuzzy blanket of magnolia and jasmine (jasmine slightly more forward than magnolia) over a cool stream of pine resin. It's fairly close to the skin and unobtrusive on me; a scent for when you might be brushing past people in a crowded hallway or career conference and want them thinking well of your personal hygiene. That almost makes it sound boring, but it's not! It is very pretty, and I'll definitely be moving it into rotation for when I want a good springy/summery floral!

Bought back in 2019. I could have sworn fig was in this one. The jasmine absolute & snow magnolia gives it a sweet, slippery, wet impression. Though it is a floral, I really couldn't tell! The Terebinth resin gives it a nice clean, air quality. I've made body lotion out of this one before. Would highly suggest!