Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Leather and rose--an interesting combination. The rose note in this starts out beautifully, but the leather quickly stomps all over it. And a little leather goes a long way; on me it's SO strong that it almost smells like a new car, or a leather jacket. Too much leather! I don't mind a wee bit of it but this is much too overpowering.

Have you been naughty? :P

I really enjoy this scent, but only in certain moods. Most of the time, I'm a Rose Red, Smut or Alice kinda girl, but sometimes I just gotta have Whip. The leather isn't overpowering, but it's definitely there on my skin, and moreso in the imp. To me it smells almost more like a soft brown suede, a wet leather instead of dry, stiff black leather. I get flashes of the leather when I turn my head or run my wrists past my nose, almost like a switch passing through the air.

There's almost no throw on this one, but it's the kind of scent you should be smelling up close anyway. :D

a rare rose that doesn't go old lady powder on my skin--and a leather that i can tolerate! this is pleasant enough even for a dreaded floral...but i think i'll stick to rose red.

In vial: Wet rose, heady. Leather.

Wet: The rose in this is lovely, rich and gorgeous. The leather is a little dirty smelling.

Drydown: I get a LOT of rose on this, with a measure of leather. It's lovely, but I don't think it'll displace Peacock Queen as my favourite rose scent.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this!

This is one of the roses from 2,5,7 kissed by a touch of leather. I really like this blend.

The leather seems to ground the rose so it doesn't amp itself into madness. Delicious I tell you!

Ferret scale 8/10

Imp: juicy rose

Wet: pretty rose

Dry: uncomplicated pretty rose. I'm not sure I *get* the leather...

I like :P

Imp: First sniff all I get is rose, but it's not the really fresh, blooming rose I expected, just an artificial perfumey sorta rose. Then the leather takes over.

Me: Whether it's wet or dry makes no difference- the instant this stuff touches my skin, it turns immediately to a very realistic portrayal of burnt plastic. Yech.

I got the same thing as browneyes: no leather whatsoever in this scent, just an extremely perfumey rose. i should have known since rose likes to over-power anything else on my skin and become quickly faux rose smelling. whip isn't cloying but the rose scent just won't go away and I DO NOT like straight rose scents. :sigh: guess this means the two of us will not get along. that's why it's wonderful the lab includes frimps--it means you have more chances to learn what does and does not work with your chemistry.

Rating: 1/5

Edited by Lunaratu

In the bottle: ATTACK OF THE ROSES. Big, thick, red, full bloom roses. Not tiny little wussy rosebuds, but ROSES.

Wet on the skin: The roses assault my nostrils. They declare war on my senses. Everything smells like a garden. I am magically outside, somehow, from my bathroom, in a full rose garden. Every blossom is open and spread. IT IS ROSE O RAMA.

Drydown: The roses have declared a cease fire. Leather is moderating things -- something that keeps the thick, gorgeous roses in check, a thick, warm scent now mingling with the roses. We peacefully coexist. Even get to like each other.

Definitely a keeper, but you have to prepared to make an impression with this scent. Seriously.

Whip is one of my favorites so far! I don't really smell the leather, but I know that something darker is there. I mostly smell beautiful red roses in full bloom. It's very strong but not in an overpowering way. It doesn't smell sexy to me, just very pretty and romantic. It makes me feel elegant, confident, calm, and optimistic.

Edited by MissNightshade

Wow...I was very impressed by this scent! I am not a rose fan - it usually ends up smelling foul on my skin. But there are a few roses (and only BPAL ones at that!) I can wear - such as the one in Alice and now the one in Whip (not sure if they're the same note or not). I put it on and my DH was all over it! He loved the way it smelled (so did I!) and made sure I knew it! I think it's the combination of the beautiful lush wet rose scent and the mild shiny black leather scent that makes this scent a winner. I will have to put this on my list of bigger bottle buys for the future!

YOU KNOW WHAT? I THINK THERE MIGHT BE SOME ROSE IN THIS HERE BLEND.

Hee.

Whip shouts out, "ROSES! ROSES! GET YER FRESH RED ROSES HEEEERE!" in the vial and first on my skin. As it dries, it picks up a syrupy note. I swear, I smell actual pancake syrup. The Lab's leather is always weird on me, but this is the first time I've gotten syrup from it.

Okay, okay, as it dries, it becomes more leathery, but there's still a drop of sweetness in there. The end result is nice, a balanced blend of red roses (similar to Rose Red but without the greenery) and rough leather. I like it. It's not as overpowering as I thought it would be at first -- the loud rose quiets down as it balances with the leather, and it has moderate, but not headachey, throw.

Overall, I think Whip is a pretty good scent on its own, and as a "layering note". I will keep the imp around, but I'm not sure whether it's worth a bottle yet.

Edited by karen

first sniff: Wet rose with a very faint note of dry leather underneath.

wet: Lush rose that's kept from being too sweet by the leather, which is really starting to come out on my skin.

dry: The bloom is off the rose...it loses it's lushness on my skin thanks to the leather, which really wants to take over (not that the rose lets it).

I actually do like this blend - but as has been mentioned before in this thread, it's something I have to be in the mood for before I put it on. My mate finds it intoxicating on me, though, so I'm sure I'll probably end up ordering more when I use up the imp. :D :P

While I'm not a floral lover, I do love rose. Rose is a chameleon, it can be pure, vintage, romantic, dark or sexual.

Whip is that latter for me. Rose and leather - simple and just so good. This is *real* rose, deep and womanly and wet. I absolutely see a dark red rose covered in water droplets. The leather never overpowers, and on my skin, really shows itself during the dry down. Dry it's just the faintest whisper.

If you love rose, this is a gorgeous blend. It's a cool, calculating kind of sexy. Adore this.

:P

Frimp from the lab. :P

In the imp: Rose soap

On Skin: Damp, fresh cut roses. Wow, I'm not a rose fan but I think this smells gorgeous!

On Drydown: I'm surprised at how this hasn't amped up tremendously on my skin. Again, the fresh roses with dew on them and perhaps a tiny little hint of something else.

Verdict: I'm not a rose fan and I've tried SEVERAL rose blends. This one however is gorgeous, and I love it, thereby again solidifying the notion that in the BPALworld, even if a scent description doesn't seem like you, it can totally be you.

And score another win for the Lab imps. :D

I generally don’t like rose blends but this one is so lovely! A very fresh, not-too-cloying type of rose. There’s something else in it that I can’t identify but overall am very pleased with this blend. Duh me, it’s the leather! I can now fully detect it, what a gorgeous addition.

I really wanted to love this one, but unfortunately the leather is too strong and gives me a bit of a headache. It's really a pity, since the rose in this is really juicy and a tad on the sweet side. If you get headaches from blends with a strong leather note in them, then I would be a bit wary of this one.

Spicy & leathery. Now it’s just leather. I discovered something new today — I don’t want to smell like leather.

Imp: All wet rose. A fairly gentle rose, too...

Wet: Still gentle rose.

Drying: Ah, there's the leather...it starts to come out as this dries. Slightly powdery rose with the barest hint of lightly tanned leather. This remains mostly a gentle rose with only occasional and slight sniffs of leather.

Overall: This lasts for 5-6 hrs on me, and I have to applaud the rose's ability to stay rose rather than turning to powder or soap. This is a gentle, pretty rose blend.

This has a wonderful rose burst at first, a fresh and simple rose (smells the same as the rose in Persephone). There is also a definite leather scent that is quite nice. Not like old horse saddle but maybe leather purse. They blend really nicely and if it stayed that way on my skin, I'd be buying a bottle. but of course my skin chemistry has to ruin everything, and turn the loveliness that is Whip into dirty ashtray. Sigh.

I wanted to try this why?

I don't like rose, and leather always overwhelms me in BPAL blends. Still, the description was so alluring I wanted to try it. Finally got it as a frimp and did.

It is all rose, wet rose, but as usual smells less like a real rose as it does rose perfume which I don't like. and yeah, some leather too, though for once I found a scent that overwhelms even leather: rose.

Too bad I don't like it.

Red rose isn't a great note on me, and sure enough, Whip is "meh" on my skin--I give it a 2 out of 6.

My foodie-loving friend gives it a 1; my clean-and-spicy friend gives it a 2.5; and my rose/spice/patchouli-loving friend gives it a 4 out of 6 (which is a really high score for her; she's hard to please). I was afraid the leather would turn her off, but she says she gets no leather from Whip--just rose, and she likes the rose.

imp: i don't smell anything like leather, just strong roses.

wet: almost a rose soap smell. there's a sort of citronella scent behind the rose that makes me think of guest soaps.

dry: by the end this has a rich, deep, sultry rose smell. once upon a time this would ahve been my most favourite oil ever, but this scent probably isn't right for me anymore. too bad, it's a lovely blend.

In the imp: The rose is strong but already has a tendency towards my nemesis Dove Soap ca. 1975.

On the wrist: I can’t smell any leather at all. This is a straight rose scent, that turns into my nemesis early on and stays that way. Drat. Never mind.

Edited by CrazyDiamond