Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

I lurve Beth's roses, so had to try this one too!

I get a very sexy rose from this - it must be the leather sexing up the rose note here. I know this is a weird description, but it's kind of like dressing up for a date with a very special someone - where you've bought a new leather purse, new shoes, and dabbed on some rose perfume. The leather stays in the background mostly but I get hints now and then.

But yeah, this is my new "date night with my Mr" scent. :P

Out of the bottle, this blend is almost totally red rose. This is the same beautiful red rose note as in Rose Red, so it's of course gorgeous and strong. On my skin, it's still mostly rose, but when I'm looking for it, I can detect a hint of black leather. I have always steered clear of this one since I'm not big on leather, but I would classify this as more of a rose floral than a leather scent. It's beautiful, Rose Red goes S & M!! :P

Whip is a very interesting blend. Usually, if there are two scents, one will overpower the other and leave no trace. But, I smell my wrist on the left side, and I smell rose. I move over to my right side, and I smell leather. It's a scent that manages to co-exist.

:P

Thanks to nursekins for the imp.

Imp: Very fresh and true red rose.

Skin: I love the "damp" quality that this definitely imparts. I love roses, but in terms of rose perfume, it has to have a certain dewy or spicy quality in order for me to want to wear it. This is a beautiful rose note.

Drydown: The leather never really becomes prominent, which is a shame because I love the leather in Spanked, and was hoping for a different twist on the same sexiness; but I do get the suggestion of leather, like finding a leather-clad man in a rose garden at midnight. . .and maybe he's got a riding crop with my name on the handle. :P

Imp: Pure red rose

Wet: freshly picked red rose, and I can get a hint of the leather underneath. But's that's all it is, a hint.

Dry: Doesn't change all that much from it's wet stage on my skin. But now the leather gets a little deeper as it dries. It's a little faint now, but the scent is awesome, it makes me feel like I'm walking through the rose bushes in our backyard. I just wish the leather note was a little stronger.

Overall, a keeper. It's big bottle time!

Whip starts out all rose on me. Eventually it settles down into something I can live with. It doesn't really smell like leather though....I guess the combination of notes sort of blend to become their own single identity. The rose is still there but the leather blends with it to create something unfamiliar but nice. I don't know....I'll keep it around, maybe I'll find a use for it....or I may end up swapping it.

I love leather, but this is almost entirely rose on me. It appears to be the same clear rose as the one in Rose Cross -- this is the earthly variation on Rose Cross's celestial frankincense. It's a bit sharp on me now, but I know that in two weeks or so it'll be quite lovely. I just wish the leather came out at all...maybe I'll get the effect I was going for layering it with Dee?

Rose.

Still rose.

Yup. Still rose.

My, what a lovely delicate flower! Too bad what I was looking for was leather.

---

EDIT: SO glad I tried this again. After over a year someone frimped me some of this. I wanted to wear it yesterday, and was reduced to lying down and tipping the vial upside-down on my neck to get the last drops of it out. The leather cuts the sweetness of the rose and makes it fresh. It goes /everywhere/ -- I wore it to class, to a semi-casual dinner, to a rave on NYE. It's a very subtle scent, but one that I think I need a 5mL of.

Edited by myoubi

In the imp: This is a very deep rose. I can't smell the leather as a distinct note (i.e., I would not have been able to tell that this was leather without it being in the list of notes), but I can certainly tell that there is something providing a bit of darkness to the rose. It's not a powdery darkness like Black Rose, but something different.

Wet: I expected that the rose note would be strong at first, and it is.

Drydown and wear: However, the leather tames it rather quickly, and the rose never becomes obnoxious. This is one of my favorite BPAL roses so far.

In bottle: Ooo, good balance. There's a lot of rose, making it almost traditional smelling, but I can really make out the leather, too. That's really nice.

Wet on skin: Very leathery, sweetened by the rose. Almost musty-toned, very nice. The dusty leathery tone stops it feeling too light and sweet, though the rose is still very feminine, and indeed damp - like bruised petals. A traditional smell twisted by the mustiness of soft leather. Exactly as it says on the tin.

Dried down: Mostly rose, which tends more towards the powdery as time goes on. The leather twists it just a bit, but it's almost impossible to make out after a while, leaving it very floral.

Decision: I'm keeping the imp, for random occasions when I feel feminine, but I don't think I'll buy any more.

In the Imp: Rose

Wet: Heavenly, strong, red rose scent

Drydown: a little fainter than the wet scent, otherwise the same

After 9 hours: The scent has faded, but I still get faint whiffs. Still very strong when I sniff my wrist.

Alas, no leather. I've been comparing the scent to my leather coat all day, and the most I got from the perfume oil was a hint or two of leather early on. I haven't tried enough different BPAL scents to know if I either a) amplify rose, or :P absorb leather, so YMMV. I have a few other rose scents in my 1st set of imps, so I'll try to pick one favorite and swap the others.

Well worth trying if you like the scent of roses at noon on a sunny day in the garden.

Whip was a scent I was really curious about and have been meaning to try for a while now, so I ordered an imp of it with my last order. I had no clue how I would feel about it though, as it sounded like something I'd either love or hate. Actually I neither love nor hate this. It isn't an unpleasant smell, but it just really doesn't stand out from the pack for me. It seems like one of the ones that's better in theory than it is in reality.

Now... I love the rose. Roses and me are like :P so a rose note in a BPAL blend gives it automatic points with me. However, I have so many rose blends by now that new ones have to really be something special in order to make it on to the bottle list. This one doesn't have that special something for me. I'm not really crazy about the leather in this at all. I don't hate it or anything, but it doesn't add anything special to the rose scent to me. It's just kind of... there. :D The scent as a whole blends together nicely after it dries down a bit, and it smells fine, but I'm definitely not in love. I might pull this one out for a change now and then, but I definitely don't need a bottle. It just isn't "me" enough for that.

Edited by glass_cat

In bottle: just as the description says. Leather and rose.

On me: As if I drug my leather jacket through a bed of roses before putting it on.

I wore this for the first time last night, and when my SO came home, he kept sniffing me, saying "ooh, you smell good."

He's now going to request I wear this more often. :P

Yesterday, I took one whiff of this imp and put it away from me. Smelled like.... vomit.

BUT, I understand from many here that a scent can be completely different on the skin versus in the imp. So today I put it on after washing off the powdery remains of Fallen.

Definitely not vomit-y on my skin. Velvet, roses! And fine leather. But it isn't that sickly rose scent I get when I spray rose water in my hair. If I close my eyes I feel as if there is a huge, gorgeous red rose in front of me. I just may order a 5 ml.

So lovely :P

Oh, WOW! I love love love this one. In the imp it was rather sweet smelling, though not unpleasant.

Wet the rose dominates, but not in a sickly sweet way. it's actually very nice. As it dried the leather definately comes out and the roses become secondary.

Wouldn't be my every day scent, but definately one that I would wear when I want to feel sexy. It's not a light "I want to be seduced" scent, it a definate "I know what I want and will take it" scent. :P

Hubby loves it. LOL

Will most certainly be buying a bottle of this. In fact, I think hubby already plans to. :D

Edited by Femme_Fatale

In the imp: Smells like the description – a dominant note of damp, robust red rose, with an undercurrent of new black leather.

Wet/Drydown: Mostly rich, heady, red rose. The black leather gives it a spicy swarthiness to the rose, though it could be a little stronger.

Dry: Dries down to mostly rose on me. The leather fades a bit, but never goes away completely.

I really like this blend. I've had people tell me it smells really nice and sexy on me, so that's good. I adore both roses and leather, and while I wish the leather note were more prominent, the hint of it is still very sexy and naughty. I'll definitely be wearing this more.

I just LOVE this one. The roses are the way they should smell, and the hint of leather is devine. I like to wear this one when I'm writing. It's just sinful.

I am sending for an Imp of Wanda to try before I decide to buy a big bottle though - since they are kindred scents.

As I received this as a frimp from the lab (squee!) I decided to write down my impression of Whip before I read what the notes were. Here are the results: Whip smells like golden cologne spilled over a red fruit roll-up.

Now, I'm highly suggestible, so once I read that Whip is supposed to smell like leather and roses, that's exactly what I smell. This is a nose-to-arm-gluer. I like it. =)

In the bottle - it's all about the rose.

Wet - all rose. Sweet and wet rose, dewey and strong. But there's something else underneath - can't smell the leather, but there's *obviously* something under there.

Drying down - more of a balance.

Dry (and still, after 7 1/2 hours) - Much more balanced. The leather isn't exactly recognizable, but it's there, and it causes the usual sensory reaction that leather does. The rose is still sweet and wet and strong.

It's funny - the throw is more leather than rose, but the up-close is more rose than leather.

I really like it!!

(New member, with a first review! Sorry if I'm just repeating what others have been saying.)

I got this for Christmas from my boyfriend, and between then and now the bottle is halfway gone. It's that good. Rose rose rose right from the start and it'll stay there hanging around you for hours. (On me it gets sweeter as the day goes on, like a big fat wet rose in the morning and then dried up seedy rose potpourri at night.) The leather doesn't really show up, except to mellow the rose out a teeny bit. Like twenty huge roses pressed into a leather-bound book.

One point worth mentioning:

If I rub it in to my wrists/wherever, I get the smell of roses and...tires. Maybe the heat from rubbing it makes the chemicals change or some scientific explanation I don't understand. But that's the only low note and it's totally avoidable if you don't press/rub it into your skin.

My first BPAL scent and I'm in love!

I don't really get any leather out of this. But the roses do smell... sleek, somehow, so I think the leather is subtle but there. I'm normally not a fan of the rose scents, but as rose goes, this is one of the better ones. It smells like naughty roses. The best kind. :P

Whip comes to me as a frimp...thank you Labbies!!!

It's a pretty straightforward scent..roses and leather...although I have struck out with Loviatar maybe this leather scent might like me. We shall see...

Initial sniff from imp:Lush dewy rose...similar to RR and under it is the leather. It lends itself as as more of a supporting note at this stage..even when I cap back the imp the luscious and dewy rose still hangs in the air. I don't usually wear rose in fragrance but this does smell lush.

Applied wet on skin:First it's all rose..and then..the leather note comes up from the bottom. This leather note is behaving a bit better on me..maybe because of the rose??? It still plays second fiddle to the rose at this point..but the leather isn't the warm leather note of old books and comfy chairs..no..this is definitetly naughty leather...black and shiny and a bit dangerous.

Couple of minutes on skin:Rose is warming up a bit now..not powdery or anything like that..still retaining that lushness..but along with the rose warming so is the leather. At this point it's a good combo..I don't love it but I am not hating it either...the leather gives the rose a bit more of a wicked slant...kind of warms it up in a "spanked" sort of way.

Five to ten minutes on skin:Rose is muting a bit and the leather is a bit more in the forefront..although it kind is a bit more softened...kind of melds with my skin and the rose..but not invisible.

Forty minutes later:Soft rose..no powder to speak of...my skin chemistry just absorbed this fragrance.

Lasting power...not very good on me and throw was actually soft. The strongest it projected was in it's wet phase.

Bottom Line:Whip is an interesting version of a rose fragrance..the leather gives it just enough toughness to make it a bit edgy. I will enjoy my imp but I won't go splurge for 5ml..the throw on this was just too brief for me to warrant going to the next level..but it was fun to try.