Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

In the vial, putting it on aaaaaaaaaall the way through drydown hours and hours and hours later, this hardly changes at all.

It's mostly rose. In fact, that's the main note. It's a velvety rose, not a sharp note like a tea rose, but kind of fuzzy and soft. The leather note is so so so subtle.

You can tell there's something else going on other than the rose, but the leather is barely there and only just noticable. If you knew it was leather, you could probably pick it out, but if you didn't know the specific note, it just kind of blends with the rose and adds another dimension to it.

This lasted incredibly long & well also.

This was a generous freebie from the Lab, which I've actually been eager to try, as I'm very fond of the leather note that BPAL creates. I'm a raving fan for Severin, and I enjoy De Sade, so the thought of a feminine leather scent was definitely in my interest.

I think my skin likes to amp up leather, and so I enjoyed good showings from both the fresh rose note and the leather. The scents blended really well, managing to be both elegant and feminine while also assertive and strong. Because of the duality, Whip seems like something I could wear for any sort of mood. It seems to be one of the rose blends that really suits me.

During the trial period, I didn't put on too much, so around four hours after application, Whip is really faint at the moment where I applied. The rose has maintained its freshness, but the leather note has vanished, probably left sometime at around the two-hour mark, I'd guess.

All in all, I really enjoyed Whip, and I'd love to get a big bottle, as it seems like a rose scent I could actually wear often. Since I normally base my scent choices on what I'm wearing that day, I don't often get to wear the more refined, feminine rose blends I have in my stash, but Whip seems so casual that I can wear it with whatever sort of outfit I'd have.

Definitely a treasure found along my adventures with my Rose Quest :::huzzah!:::

-doreen

I'm a big rose fan so I've been trying to test out as many rosey scents as I can gather. I was a little hesitant about the idea of leather in this scent but on me, I don't notice it at all. This becomes a really wonderful fresh rose scent. Not dry like London or green like Pride. Just lovely, lovely roses. I ordered a bottle straightaway and I'm waiting impatiently.

First sniff, rose and leather! Exactly like the description ^^

I really love rose, but it just doesn't smell good on my skin. I wish it would, but it's just not "me".

I really love the way this one smells, it truly a gorgeous scent (and lasts a long time!) but unfortunatly I'm going to ahve to say no to this one. However, my mother smells beautiful in rose, I think this is something she's going to really like. :P

whip.jpg

I used to put London and deSade together and wondered why Beth didn't have such an obvious combination...well she did. Whip is a very good blend and I think if I didn't know about London, I would have fallen for Whip. However, I prefer the roses in London to get together with the leather in deSade. Just personal taste talking here.

I'm so sad about this one. I love roses and my skin loves roses. This sounded like a kick ass Wanda type fragrance, and since I love Wanda, I couldn't go wrong.

In the vial it smells just like what the description says, leather and rose. It's absolutely scrumptious and seductive. Unfortunately for me, the "Curse" hit and this dissolved into baby powder almost immediately.

I want new chemistry! :P

I had really high hopes for Whip; I had already ordered a 5ml, unsniffed before I got this imp.

Whip makes me think of my wedding day (no, really, and not in the way you are thinking!). I was married at Yule 1995, and this reminds me of the car ride to the reception after the ceremony. Laughing and feeling high from the excitement, me with my huge bouquet on my lap (36 Fire & Ice roses), my new husband wearing his big leather overcoat over his tux. Driving in the deliciously warm car, through the dark and freezing cold night, to the brightly lit hall where our friends and family were gathering to celebrate with us.

The leather adds a richness to the rose, it is only detectable as a note when I sniff my wrist directly. The waft is rich red rose. The rose note here reminds me of the rose in London. Both are very red, to my nose.

Overall an awesome and evocative scent; I'm SO glad I ordered a bottle. It will be an excellent winter special occasion scent for me, due to the associations; I can't imagine wearing it in warm weather.

Well, this is kind of nice. I know this is just blasphemy of the worst kind, but this kind of smells like... Exclamation to me. You know that little round bottle that looked like an exclamation point? I used to wear that when I was a teenager, and I loved it.

Whip smells very young to me, I suppose because I'm reminded of the above perfume. It's perfumey and a little bit... commercial? I think it might be the leather that adds an odd plastic note to the rose.

It's a bit richer when dry, but the first 30 minutes seriously make me feel like I just left the Walgreens with my new bottle of exclamation.

whip, on me, is straight up rose perfume. a sharper, dryer rose than some of the other rose blends i've tried.

i love the smell of roses, but i'm not fond of rose perfume. this will be swapped.

I got Whip as a frimp in my last order. I don't think I would have ordered it, because I can't imagine what leather smells like in perfume, but I hate the smell of leather shops. This, however, smells so much like straight up fresh cut roses I couldn't imagine the much touted LE Rose Red smelling any rosier. Its a beautiful, true scent, and 5.5 hours after application it is the same as when I put it on. Really lovely, but I kind of feel like it wears me, rather than me wearing it. I feel like its a scent I have to live up to, if that makes sense. I'll probably give it another wear before deciding if its a bottle purchase or not. Regardless, I will certainly enjoy the imp either on my skin or as a nice 'where's the rose bouquet?' room scent...

Hmm... Maybe I need to give some leathers a whirl afterall...

Ahh, Whip. The perfect example of how my body chemistry hates me and wants me to suffer.

I ordered an imp of Whip and tried it immediately. It was wonderful--a soft red rose with just a hint of leather. I ordered a 5ml.

After my bottle came in, I wore it to work and...no rose. I mean None At All. Just a soft black leather scent. It smelled like my new purse. Nice enough, but not what I signed on for. I was in the grip of Aunt Flo, the red hag, so I chalked it up to hormones and tried again a week later.

This time it was acrid shiny cheap leather and still no rose. :P I have no idea why this happened but my bottle and imps of Whip are off to swaps. Grrr.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love this scent. I got this as a frimp and was skeptical because rose doesn't work well with me.

In the imp: There was a sharpness that tingled my nose, but then calmed to reveal the rose and was less pungent

Wet on Skin: The sharpness remains. The leather almost took on a lemon note, but it faded as quickly as it hit.

On the Dry Down. The perfect balance of dry rose and spicy. The leather note really warms up the rose and when the rose comes out it's so close to an actual rose that it's a bit overwhelming.

I was very surprised by Whip. I was expecting to be overwhelmed by the leather, but it's so subtle here that it's just at the very edges of this blend. It actually seems to make the rose seem 'fresher' or 'crisper' in some way, more defined, like outlining red in a thin line of black. It's very wearable, and I think this would even make a great work scent.

Oh, I almost forgot the obligatory:

:P

Whip.jpg

My first BPAL love... :D

A friend sent me an imp and I instantly fell in love and she surprised me with a whole bottle!! I hope to never run out. This has become an almost daily scent for me to wear. So much so that now my watch smells insanely of Whip... < drool > :D

I'm not a huge overtly flowery fan but Whip is fabulous... not to mention that my husband seems to have an affinity for it as well. Which is good... I was hoping he'd finally graduate from his love of my 9th grade perfume Vanilla Fields. :D

At first whiff this is definitely a rose not for the faint of heart. This is no gentle tea rose garden scent and I love it that way. This is a dark, fierce, passionate rose. Reminscent of sexy knights and their leather horse tack after a violent thunderstorm.... rode hard and put away wet....

After drying, it's a definite long-lasting scent. I can wear this for hours and still smell it wafting around me. It's a rich, deep dark rose scent that is absolutely heavenly.... or sinister depending on my mood. :P

This is vaguely remiscent of stella.

this smells like a very elegantly leather gloved hand is cradling crimson dewy crushed rose petals...like you went for a walk and picked up the juiciest darkest velvet rose you could find--maybe so darkly red that it looked black and crushed it in your leathered gloved hands and inhaled as you continued to roam around on your very crisp chilly walk..

very heady and voluptuous.

I love the smell of roses. Love love love.

But I can't wear many blends that have them as the dominant note because the rose either stands out too sharply from my skin, or just smells off somehow.

Perhaps it's the addition of leather, but this is probably one of the most wearable rose blends I've tried so far. It really seems to sink into my skin, leaving behind a very subtle rosy glow.

I'm glad the Lab tossed this one into my order. :P

In the bottle: a very sweet, wet, voluptuous red rose. I love this rose!

Wet: there's a greenness and a dryness that come up right away with the rose. And salt, and leather. For a moment, the rose is pushed to the background.

Drydown: the rose is back and she's sumptuous. Wet, and lush, and deep red, with some green. This mixed with the slightly bitter and dry scent of cool leather. And they fight, and fight, and fight, neither ever winning, but it's such a fascinating fight to sniff. Sometimes the rose is lusciously red and inviting, sometimes it's bitter green, sometimes the leather wins out.

Overall: I understand why I had so much trouble finding an imp of this - nobody wants to give it up! This is extremely sexy. I forget that I love rose, and then when I try it on, it fits like a glove. A black leather glove. Oh my god - big bottle, now! :P

In the bottle: Yep, there's the rose. A hint of something else, but mostly rose.

First on the skin: Damp rose and leather cuffs. Very fresh, makes me think of a rose garden right after a rainfall.

15 minutes later: The leather and the rose have twined together, blending into one very gorgeous scent. Lush red roses, with strips of black leather twisted around their stems, winding around the thorns.

After an hour: Deep lush rose with hints of darkness. This has settled into a very smooth, lush scent on me. Very comfortable for me to wear. *adds Whip to the big bottle list*

Whip

In the imp: fresh, wet, juicy rose. Maybe a dark leather undertone, but mainly rose.

Wet on skin: freshly bloomed, moist, slightly green rose with just a hint of De Sade's leather.

Dry on skin: what a glorious rose! The rose note in here is so genuine, very fresh and fully bloomed, almost dewy, but also warm and slightly fruity with a nice tart bite. There's a leather note under that rose, it adds it's sexy depth to the scent, enhances the rose nicely. But for now, the blend is predominantly rose with just a slight undercurrent of leather.

After a while: still a fruity lush rose, but with a bit more leather now. This is a polished black leather note, like De Sade. The rose is quite nice on top of it.

The drydown of this scent is reminiscent of cologne. It's like a rose cologne, or a perfume-y rose scent. Quite fresh and light. I don't get very much leather now. I do get a lovely scent wafting from me, it's got very good throw.

Verdict: this is another lovely rose blend. The rose in this scent is fresh and moist, slightly fruity and warm with a slight tang. It rests upon a fairly subtle bed of leather, which to me reminds me of De Sade's polished black leather, though it may be a bit softer. The drydown is almost like a perfume scent-like a cologne scent, which is pleasant, but unexpected. I love the fragrance that wafts around me though during drydown though, different to the wrist scent. It's nice, but I'm not sure it's my favourite BPAL rose yet.

Ditto on most of the other reviews: Whip really is fresh red rose and black leather.

Wet on the skin, all I can smell is the rose. After about 15 minutes or so, the rose and leather begin to take turns wafting by my nose. The two seem to be perfectly balanced, but then again my skin doesn't have a tendency to amp up rose notes.

Whip was a frimp and I probably never would've elected to try this on my own; however, I'm keeping the imp and considering a bottle.

I opened an imp of this up ( it was the scent i was most excited to try, and it did not dissapoint) and got a wiff of a lovely red rose, that was all.

I put it on. and my skin amped up the leather a bit, but it still smelled like those wonderful roses.

After a few minutes it went very soft and sweet on my skin, it smells wonderful

I really like this scent.

I'm getting flashbacks of high school, standing in the local punk-rock store, buying my first pair of Docs. Rather than being shocked, my dad smelled them and said how great the leather scent was and what a well-made pair of boots they were. This is a good thing. It's that beautiful leather, softened by the rose just for me.

Apparently, rose scents hate me. Which is unfortunate, 'cuz I love them. Talk about unrequited obsessions...

Whip turns soapy on me almost immediately. It's not as bad as the soapiness I get from Rose Cross or Persephone, but it's definitely there. It may be tempered by the leather, although that never comes out as a detectable note... more of just a background warmth. This is wearable in that I don't feel I might DIE if I don't wash it off (as with the other aforementioned scents) but it's definitely not right for my skin. Poo...

apparently, leather is a very strong scent on my skin! the rose, wc is lovely and present (with a bit of darkness from the leather) in the vial disappears instantly when it hits my skin. instead of wet roses and leather, i smell of wet leather.

Frimp from the lab:

OMG... I wanted to love this blend so badly, but the rose note ruined it for me once again...

Leather notes love me, but in combination with rose, Whip starts to smell like dirty gym socks and urine... *yuck*

Off to the swap pile...