Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Bottle (Imp): This smells a bit like animals. Not necessarily in a bad way, just like animals. Maybe with a hint of something else thrown in. 2nd Try: Animals and flowers. That's what I'm smelling.

Just On: It smells like curing leather. And flowers. Maybe roses? (Remember, I don't read descriptions beyond seeing if I think I'll like it, so by then I've usually forgotten what's in it, and I don't read any reviews in the review section until I've reviewed it myself.) Hmm, not sure about roses. But it's curing leather and drying flowers to my nose. 2nd Try: I'm getting almost all roses this time, with a faint hint of leather. It's not so bad, but I really don't care for flowers.

An hour or two later: Flowery. That's just about all I smell. I think it's rose, but I'm not very good and identifying flowers, as I have a thing against most of them. I smell like dried roses. 2nd Try: It's all perfume-y roses, and it's not agreeing with me much. It does smell like an expensive perfume blend, and a lovely one... for someone who likes roses.

Around 6 hours: Now I smell like powdery dried roses. I wish I was getting more of the leather scent out of this. It's not the good sweet powder I get from some of the other scents, it's more like powdered up dried roses. I'm still sort of guessing on roses, but that's just what comes to mind. 2nd Try: All roses. Ugh, it doesn't like me.

12 hours: I don't smell much at all now, so it has faded away to a barely detectable hint of scent. 2nd Try: I'm left with the barest hint of roses.

Overall: I think it's just too rose-y for my skin. I did look at the description again, and it's no wonder I smell roses. I'll have to try it one more time before I decide if it will be swapped. 2nd Try: I really don't know if I'll be able to keep this one. I just can't deal with that many flowers.

After reading other reviews: Apparently I'm not the only one who gets all roses, all the time out of this one. Unfortunately, I can't deal with the roses on me, it's way too overpowering.

Ooh... roses and leather. Two of my favorite scents. You've gotta pull me out of any leather store I enter. I love that smell. All I could imagine when I thought of this scent was how leather would smell after being in a room filled with roses. Mmmmmmm.... :D

In the bottle: Ooh, it's roses. Big, juicy, falling off the vine because they're so full of scent roses. I'm not catching really anything else, which makes me sad because I *WANT* to smell that leather. :P

Wet: I guess my skin amps up roses to the nth degree. All I can smell is roses.

1 Hour: The roses are still there, but they're getting that dry, soapy smell that Moon Rose became.

4 Hours: This isn't wafting anymore, like it did when it was still drying. The powdery scent is going away. The roses are still strong if I stick my wrist under my nose, and there's another scent there now. It doesn't really smell like leather to me. Just something else. Maybe that's the note, though, as I haven't really tried too many of the other leather scents.

Ooh. Dark rosy start. I like that initial whiff. It smells very like the essence of rose-infused rosary I got at the Vatican when I visited. Once it's been dry awhile, the roses fade to the background and the leather comes out in the waft.

I would have never thought to order Whip on my own, at least not for a very long time, but I received an imp as lagniappe from the lab and, having just had my first hint of the leather note with Severin, I tried it right away.

In the bottle, this was frustratingly familiar, the kind of scent that hits you like deja vu. There wasn't a whole lot of leather at first whiff, so I hoped it would come out on my skin.

First on, it smelled like ROSE. Just like that. In all caps. It actually took about an hour for the rose to really settle down enough for the leather to come out, but come out it did. It's the perfect bad-ass girl scent - it's the olfactory equivalent of red lipstick and a leather corset.

The final drydown smells like...don't laugh at me...chocolate. Somehow, the rose and leather mingled together become absolutely edible.

My only complaint is that initial ROSE phase. I'm going to try to get my hand on some more leathery scents to try to ease it out of that stage a bit more quickly. Otherwise, this is a huge winner.

I adore Whip, the imagery aint too bad either :D

ok, it's mainly rose on me, but with a darker edge, not in the same way that black rose is dark, I guess it's the leather though I cant really smell Leather on it's own.

yummy though, who new I actually do like rose scents :P

I've been looking for a rose that I like, and this is it! Other roses have given me instant migraines, been too sharp, or too heavy, or become soap. This is just beautiful, rich rose. The leather lends a nice base, but it is the rose that dominates. Not the headachy rose, no soap and not too sharp. I really like this. The only thing is, I don't know if it likes me yet...I wore it and got a small ache in my sinuses. Hopefully unrelated, as it is a beautiful scent! :P

I smell the leather (just a hint) in the imp, but applied on my skin this is all rose. Granted, rose usually conjures "cheap perfume/matronly ladies" in my mind, but this is a little better than that. :P It's a deep sort of rose that I'll have to give another shot to, perhaps even layer it over some DeSade.

I LOVE this. Wet it's primarily rose, then the leather takes over for a few minutes on me. Fifteen minutes later, however, I smell like a perfect blend of both. I need a bottle of this, as soon as possible.

much less fruity than wanda. i don't smell *damp* rose, exactly. it's a drier rose on me. a very gentle fragrance. not much leather come through on me.

I really like this.

a lot more subtle and gentle than the name would have you believe.

a lovely red red rose floral with warm leather, more like the leather of saddlery than of bondage straps.

really nice and warm

In the bottle:

Rose, but....it's odd. Not in a bad way, it's just not the usual impression I get from rose scents, it's not that prim and proper tea rose that gives me headaches.

On me:

I'm surprised by this. This isn't too rose to me, on me it's rose and leather quite equally. The leather offers a nice warm, grounding base to the rose so this doesn't become overwhelmingly rose. It's a little sweet in a way, I can't pin down what's giving me that impression but this is really not what I expected from this scent, and yet at the same time, it's flat out rose and leather.

Final note:

I'm really glad the lab including this as a gift imp in my last order. I do not particularly care for rose scents, and thus far I've never really found one I liked (except for GothRosary's Tea and Sympathy). In my last review of Lucy's Kiss, I said I doubted I would ever find a rose blend that would be for me, and yet here is Whip and I quite like it. I wouldn't buy a bottle of this, because I just don't like anything floral that much, but I will definitely finish off my imp. And that's saying quite a lot for something with rose in it.

Ah! What a wonderful blend- it is very seductive. It is not a scent for the timid; it makes its presence known. To my nose, it is almost all rose- I have to really search for the leather note, but it is there. This is not a delicate rose, but a vivid, grown up rose for wanton ladies. Another beautiful rose from BPAL.

The damp red rose sent my heart a flutter, but the leather just didn't utter the right notions to my nose. So unfortunately, it was quickly snatched by my mother-in-law. Told me that it work well for her in the future. Ok, not for me, but it was a nice scent I just couldn't do the leather.

Unbelievably fantastic. Huge wet rose and a faint trace of leather. Normally I don't like leather, but it blends beautifully with the rose.

Whip is thus far the greatest rose blend I have tried.

whip

at first: this lab included this as an extra. i mostly smell a very wet rose, with just the slightest hint of leather.

on: super floral, which i wasn't expecting. definitely very pretty. i'm just getting a gorgeous rose. very green and wet.

2.5 hours later: the rose is softer now and drier. there's just a hint of leather behind it.

4 hours later: a very soft rose. the leather is gone.

overall: i really like this. i wish the leather were a little more pronounced, but i'd rather have too little leather than too much. a definite keeper.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Rose.

In the imp/bottle: Rose. Nothing but rose (there's a shock).

On skin, wet: Rose, rose, rose! If there's rose in any scent, it overwhelms everything else, Whip included. I sniff nothing approaching leather, unfortunately.

On skin, dry: Rose! Wet, damp, trampled red rose. Very lush, but almost decaying.

Conclusion: Another Nothing-but-rose scent. I had such hopes for the leather.

Edited by Aredhel

Whip mostly smells very sophisticatedly english on me, if you know what I mean, with an unexpected dark undercurrent of leather. As much as I'm determined to try every scent and reviewing them, I'm still not keen on wearing rose blends as a perfume. It is a nice scent, but roses are not my thing.

In bottle: smells exactly like the description, the roses are not powdery at all and the leather is very warm and not too masculine

Wet: roses (a little powdery) and leather

Dry: the rose comes out more and goes powdery on me…sadness. The leather is barely noticeable through all of the rose. Maybe if I layer it with something...

Initially, when in the vial, I smelled neither rose, nor leather. It was a strong, pleasantly acrid scent not unlike the ozone scents I've sniffed. However, upon application, this comes out as almost pure rose. I say almost because I thought it was straight rose, until I realized I had an actual bouquet of roses on hand to compare with.

The fresh red roses were a cool, bright scent, but "Whip" has an antique feel to it. If roses stayed fresh for generations, and you climbed up the attic of a victorian home to find a vase full of them in a room where everything is covered in sheets (Kind of ...creepy, actually...), this would be something comparable. "Whip" has an added layer that makes it palpably warm and kind of sexy, but that in itself doesn't smell like leather in a literal sense, but what the idea of adding leather to the romantic ideal of rose is.

Holy Abstract, Batman. Okay, how about I add that, if you're looking for a leather scent, you might have better luck elsewhere. If you're looking for rose with a dirty little secret, "Whip" might be the cat up your alley.

WHIP:

From the bottle: Rose. and a slight leather smell. mmm. Very good combination. It is a sweet leathery scent. nice.

On me: Mmmm. it's lovely. sweet rose, and just a tid bit of leather.

Two hours later: still the same. i'll have to buy a 5ml. no doubt. this is unbelievably and it's a leather scent that a woman can wear.

i have a love/hate relationship with rose. some scents containing it smell incredible on me (london), while others do not. i really wanted to love whip, but this is one of those rose scents that does not agree with me.

it smells exactly like what it says- roses and leather, the rose coming on strong, and the leather in the background. something about this rose smells slightly cloying on my skin though.

i think if there was some spicyness added, it might smell better on me. i really wanted to like whip, but my skin just doesnt agree.

:P

rose, rose, fading rose, soapy rose, just plain soap.

no hint of leather on my skin. nothing detected except rose. i like rose, but much prefer two, five & seven's crisp, slightly green rose. not this powdery, soapy floral that's barely recognizable as rose.

too girly for me. i'm sure i'll find it a good home elsewhere.

I swapped for this in my hunt for a rose that I can adore.

In the imp it smells like rose, rosy, rosy, roses. Maybe there's something dry underneath, but basically the rose scent beats that down.

On my skin it's roses, but now the slight dryness I sniffed in the imp can be defined as the leather smell that I recognize from scents like Severin. It's a scent like rose oil spilled on the raw side of a cowhide bag.

As it dries the rose grows ever stronger and mighty and the leather gets muscled into the background. It becomes more of a skin scent.

This is is a rich deep intense rose scent. It's very floral, not juicy sweet and wet like the rose in Persephone, or candied rose like Rakshasa. It' s more like one of the rose notes in Two, Five and Seven, just a tad dry. I was hoping that this might be a sexy, musky rose, but it's too floral and dry for that. Like an uptight woman with a forceful personality and a taste for expensive bags.

It's lovely, but I think I might swap it, since there are rose scents I enjoy more.

In the vial: Rose, rose, soap, rose, and more soap. Yes, it's a rose-scented bar of soap.

Wet: Rose, rose, soap, rose, and... you get the idea. However, it's not as strong on my skin as it was in the imp. Where's the leather? I was really looking forward to the leather in this, but I don't smell it at all.

Dry: It hasn't changed much on the drydown, except to get even softer. There is a small hint of darkness and dryness coming through now... is that the leather? Yes, perhaps it's a leather jacket that has been washed in rose-scented soap! For the record, I'm most definitely not getting the impression of "agony and ecstasy" that the description boasts; this isn't at all the dominatrix scent I thought it would be.

An hour later: Ah, there's the leather. But it's new-car-upholstery leather, not whips-and-tassels leather. And the rose seems to have run off. But the soap? Still alive and kicking. Hard.

Overall: Too soapy for my liking. Also much too soft on the leather, and not quite the sort of leather I'm interested in smelling like. This has already been swapped.

Wet on me this is very soft roses. Dry on me it's soapy leather, it fades very quickly and never has much waft.