Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

This imp is of unknown age ( and probably quite aged).

In the bottle: ..Doctor's office? Wait, there is some rose in the background.
On my skin: Fresh spring rose! It really smells like fresh real rose from the garden. There is, a couple of minutes in, another note as well, which smells old? Gronding it, must be the leather. It doesn't really smell like leather to me however, more like a cabinet with fresh roses. It is slowly turning (20 mins in? maybe? ) into a wet smell of undecipherable components. Yes it has roses and I am guessing the other note is leather but it just smells like .. wet, reminding me of an actual whip. I can't explain it very well. XD It still reminds me of something old too, though.
Drydown: Something old that I'd find at my grandmother's house?

Ordered an imp to try earlier this month

In imp and wet on skin- beautiful roses full in bloom that are of the red variety. To me, it smells like there's a fair bit of stem in here too. I've never had a leather blend before so can't distinguish what that smells like I'm afraid.

Dry on skin- this 1 really doesn't change much at all which isn't a bad thing, it's not got a lot of throw, more of a soft close skin scent which I like.

Overall- this 1 I will use and love, may order a bottle in the distant future. Somehow though it does remind me of a perfume the body shop used to sell and can't remember it's name for the life of me :(

hell yeah, truth in advertising, that's red rose and leather alright. it is pretty yet sinister at the same time and definitely does not make me think of old lady rose perfume. there's not that much throw but it's pretty long-lasting. I loooove it.

Edited by inhumation

Mmm...it's fresh, but sultry, and very delicious :wub3: I was wearing it today and the hubby came in from work and demanded to know what smelled so good and why before he even asked me how I was :lol:

In the imp: Exactly what it says on the tin: rose and leather.

Wet: More rose than leather, but the leather is definitely present and reads as black leather to my nose. I don't know how Beth does it, but the rose note really does have a damp quality to it. It actually smells like a damp red rose. I'm not always fond of leather, but I am enjoying this scent thus far.

Dry: The leather is much stronger on the drydown, but the damp red rose note is still the dominant note on my skin.

Verdict: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I don't think I need a bottle of it (as I already own a lot of rose scents that I like more than this one), but this is nice.

In the imp: Oh, beautiful! Why have I not tried this before? Such a gorgeous, post-summer rain rose. GET ON MY SKIN.

Wet on skin: Immediately it reminds me of a single note rose perfume oil I got with a pot pourri kit as a little girl, which is neither a good or bad thing, just a very, well, rose thing! It does seem quite sharp in places, ever so slightly like an expensive soap an elderly relative would have that you'd sneakily sniff and wish you were allowed to use. The rose is most definitely announcing itself loud and clear, but o leather, where art thou? Hiding in the background, too shy to say hello it seems. Because, really, I'm not picking up any leather so far.

Dry on skin: Still not getting the leather, but it's early days and that rose is so dense that it may as well be a single note on me. Morphing even soapier now, but not in an unpleasant way. Soft like how perfumed soap bubbles or lather smells.

Later that day: The rose is still kicking butt and taking names, but I'm getting an ever so slight leather presence now, albeit a very gentle, sweet leather. I'm finding it to be very sweet overall actually, but softly so and it is certainly quite beautiful. All hints of soapyness have completely gone now too. This is seriously feminine.

Conclusion: I think this one's going in my let-it-age-and-test-again pile. However, I started baking while wearing this earlier and the smell wafting in from the kitchen really mingled beautifully with it, so perhaps layering with a more foody scent would be just what it needs to take it to the next level for me. Still, I was looking for something more sexy and domme-y, and on this occasion I didn't find it with Whip.

Edited by ThreeFates

In the imp: Pretty much only rose; alas, I'm not getting any leather. The rose does have a lovely just-after-the-rain quality to it, though. I second dementia_divine - HOW does Beth get the smell of damp?

Wet: Maybe just a touch of leather (or maybe that's me trying to smell the listed note instead of what's actually there), but it's still very rose-dominant to the point of being a single-note.

Dry: Huzzah, the leather actually shows up! IDK if this is just me being suggestible to the title and/or copy or what, but this really does bring to mind stiff, black leather. At first it's about equal with the rose, but as time goes on, it even eclipses the rose.

Wet: Yep, Roses and Leather

Dry: Lots of rose, a little leather. Nice, but I don't know if I like it a well as other rose blends.

Wet and dry, I got a subdued (damp?) rose, but only the faint echo of leather. My imp was from a forum purchase, without an age, so I'm going to reserve judgement. Whip gets a lotta love on the Rose Apologists' forum.

Rose is my ampy death note, I usually hate it. Maybe it's the mixture with leather making it less perfumey and girly, but I don't mind this (never thought I would say that about anything with rose in it). It's a non offensive non old lady rose, and the leather seems to balance it out and get stronger over time. I don't think I'll be running out to get a bottle, but I can see myself using the imp from time to time.

Unfortunately there was no leather for me, just a wet slightly soapy rose. Very pretty but not what I had hoped for.

ETA: Retested and now this is PERFECT. Pure lovely red rose, with black leather.

Edited by roseus

Um, wow, the leather is very much the undercurrent in this rose. It's mainly rose with a hint of leather, but that's what makes it so fun. There's prominent rose, but a closer whiff and it's this naughty, a little dirty bit o' leather. Definitely worth a bottle.

I've been trying out rose-heavy scents to try and finally find the right one for me.

In the imp: When sniffed directly from the mailbox it smelled like a big red rose with a strong touch of leather. After it's been resting for a couple of days it smells very different. For half a second it's a big rose, and then it goes super strong soap! There's the leather trying to break through but the soap is STRONG.

On: Not even a rose soap, it's just plain and white. Leather is typically a very strong note but not even that can break through here.

30 min after applying and we're still a big white soap.

Over an hour later the soap FINALLY gives up the spotlight and the rose comes out stronger. I'm however not really a fan of waiting over an hour for a scent to become wearable.

Truth in advertising - rose and leather. I smell the leather much more strongly in the bottle, but the two notes are well balanced on my skin. I'm digging the leather note, and I love BPAL's rose notes, but somehow this one is just not quite working for me right now. I'm enjoying it but there are other roses I like so much more, and I'm tempted to just go and put one of my favorites on instead.

I'm excited to try more oils with leather notes, though. Expanding my horizons with each new imp!

I like both rose and leather in a scent so I expected to enjoy this one. And if I had been prepared to be wearing a scent that is only rose, I might have enjoyed it, but I had expected there to be leather also. I smelled some leather in the imp, but once it hit my skin it was just rose.

The Book's older (and more adult-natured) sister, borrowed from a friend while I compare rose blends.

The Whip gives a lush, deep red rose with the bit of dampness the notes mention, and what smells to me like worn, cracked black leather. I don't think this is the new, shiny whip just brought home from the specialty or cheapo Halloween store. This whip has seen some use.

The Whip may not be for me -- its rose too dark and heavy, its leather too black -- but I'm enjoying it nonetheless, and appreciate the chance to check it out and, especially, compare it directly to The Book.

I had an imp of this that was all rose for a few minutes, and then nothing but leather.

I like leather, I just dont like smelling like leather single note. I always wondered if I had just gotten a weird imp, because it was nothing like the scent I read about in the reviews.

So I tried this again recently. It was such a different scent that I actually thought there might have been a reformulation or mislabel. There is leather. But its light. Like fresh cut roses in a leather pouch, and if you keep sniffing, you will pick up hints of soft leather. Leather is there, but it brings out the rose, and rounds out its sharpness. It seems to change as you keep sniffing it.

I love it, but its subtle, and not the BOOM in your face all leather I was expecting. Im really glad I tried it again! My bottle is 2 years old and the rose is still a little sharper then I like, but I am hoping some more aging will soften the edges and deepen the leather note a bit more.

Edited by maudlinrose

Imp: WOAH rose. air freshener rose
Wet on Me: ugh amping rose.
Drying Down: not getting any leather. my skin is amping this into epic proportions.
Dry: sigh. I keep hoping eternal I'll find a rose that works on me. but I keep amping rose notes to high heaven and they come back to me as rose air freshener. I never got the leather and that makes me sad.

Incredibly realistic red rose, verging on fruity--just as I like them! The leather is surprisingly subtle and soft, and the overall effect is much more ladylike than I guessed from the name and description. It reminds me of another scent in my collection with florals over leather, which is very buttoned-up until I start sweating and it turns into a growling beast. (I tested that going out on a run, I swear! ;) ) It makes me think this could get pretty animalic with heat, which would fit more with the description. I love this and will definitely need a bottle.

This was my first full bottle purchase and will always be my favorite.

Perfect, un-old-lady-ish, rose. I do catch the hint of leather, but only a hint.

Love this.

Woahhhh, rose! I'm so iffy about rose. It often goes soapy and smells like dried flowers, very Victorian. This... does smell dry and Victorian. But I'm trying to evaluate it as a rose blend, and in that sense, it's quite nice. I don't detect any leather, but I bet that's what's making this blend feel more approachable to me than normal rose blends.

Where I'd wear it: On a Steampunk comedy of manners adventure

Rose! Big, fleshy, and yes, damp red rose. Wet, Whip was all about the rose. I hesitated on this scent for a long time because leather can be such an an iffy note on me, and when I first put it on, I couldn't even tell the leather was there. But as it dried down, a warm, gorgeous leather began to make itself felt. This has become an instant favorite. It may be the most beautiful BPAL rose I've tried, and then the leather emerges and the pairing is just luscious.