Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

In the imp: Lush, red roses.

Wet: Damp, lush, red roses with something darker in the background.

Drydown: Wow! The leather came out fairly strong in the drydown. It's like smelling rose petals scattered across leather.

Final thoughts: I was a little unsure about this in the wet stages, but this is really nice. Definitely a slinky scent. This is also the very first leather scent I've tried so I wasn't sure what to expect. It's nice. Definitely keep the imp. Mm-hm.

Oh my oh my oh my. *faints*

The first time I wore it, it was a perfect balance of rose and leather. Well-worn leather with just a touch of body heat lingering on it, and slightly wilted red roses.

Today it's more strongly rose, but it's still gorgeous. I may layer this with either Wanda or De Sade to play up different aspects of it.

This one's going on my big bottle list...

There's not much that I can add - Whip is a perfect combination of lush rose and saucy leather. It's a really fresh and modern combination, and when I wore it last night I felt it struck a great balance between girly and sexy.

Sniffing directly from the imp, this strikes me as a very clean, masculine fragrance. Like one of those “Mountain Spring” type scents marketed at manly men who want to smell nice.

Out of the imp it goes straight to rose (which is a happy development by my estimation). This is a powerful rose, though. Sadly a bit more synthetic than the rose blends I’m used to, but not unpleasant. I’m starting to smell the leather which is actually making the floral pine-y on me.

After letting it dry and “sink in” for a while, I’m sad to report that this is more soapy than I can stand. Not drastically so, and it might be wearable for certain occasions, but it just doesn’t strike me as a scent that I’d choose to represent me. Win some and lose some, I guess.

now this is sexy!

damp dark red roses.....gorgeous

as it dries it gets a very light touch of leather that just adds to the sexiness!

Oh, wow! It's rosey, all right, but in this deep, elegant, womanly way, not fusty and grandmotherish. Oddly, it makes me feel like someone's mother, but in a way that says, I am Woman Incarnate, nurturing and beautiful and stunning to behold. I really like this one. It made me come out of the woodworks and do my first review!

this is heady humid roses with a hint of leather. i got this as a freebie with my order and wasn't sure what i would think of it, but i love it.

It starts with a clean, neat rose note, strong and quite true, with a very subtle leather undertone.

It's more inocent than what I expected, but as time goes by the leather grows up a bit, making it more interesting.

I really like it, but I wouldn't mind if the leather was stronger... I'm pondering to layer it with some De Sade.

This is 9 years ago when I was 16, my now fiance was 21, and we were madly in love, in a bottle. This is his worn leather coat that smelled of him, cigarettes, Drakkar and of course leather. This is me wearing that coat, smelling the deep red roses he used to send to me. This is pure memory.

This is also now, reunited after 7 years of being apart, him burying his nose into my neck to smell Whip, and loving it. This is the new leather coat he bought me for Christmas and the lovely red roses he sent me last week just because.

This is getting a 5ml order next week :P

I love the smell of leather; I used to inhale so frequently in the tack room that I must have seemed like I was snorting something.

Roses and leather sounded perfect.

Unfortunately, all I got was rose, strong, demanding rose. My skin seems to love it and pushes it right out center stage.

I like rose well enough, Ophelia is one of my favorite florals, but the rose in Whip is too brazen.

Maybe I can mix it with something else…

i was very excited about this one, hoping that it wouldn't be as overwhelmingly masculine as de sade, and i'd get more of the rose than the leather. sadly, it was not to be. this one smells, on and to me, like black leather compared to de sade's brown.

swap pile for this one..

Hmmm, I can barely, if at all, smell leather in this one. I really have to start huffing at my wrists to get any mention of it. Whip, on me, smells like tart attar of rose. I love the way attar of rose smells and Whip is making me feel happy...but I want the leather too.

I received this in a swap, so maybe it has aged?

Ok, after about an hour, the tartness has worn of and NOW I can sort of smell the leather, though it is faint. Ahhh................

Overall, I like Whip :P

I ordered this in hopes the leather would balance out the rose. Becaue a lot of the rose scrents on my stay uber rose.

In the bottle it smells very rose with a smal faint hint of something hiddng the the background.

Wet: It smells like this cheap rose oil that I used to wear in high school. It reminds me a lot of high school, but that's something I'm really looking for.

As it drys the Rose it still over powering and no leather.

I wanted this one to work as badly but all I got rose over powering Pagan book store cheap rose oil. Thi one will get swapped and find a good home.

Slightly winey dark roses...I can only detect the leather at late drydown. This is like a slightly darker Rose Red for me, and a good substitute for those who must go without :P

I cannot freakin' believe I'm the first one to use this!

:D

This turns me into Wanda's punk li'l sister!

:P

(I likey! :D)

In the bottle Whip is all roses, but it smells just like the description on me. Heavy on the rose and light on the leather. I really like whip.

I schlepped my imp box over to the mother in laws and suprisingly she really liked Whip too. In an effort to enable I ended up giving her my imp. Considering how much I like it, and that she isn't one of my favorite people I though that was pretty darned generous of me, but now I need to get more. :P

:P Here goes a new top 10 member!

To me this is all tearose, It reminds me a bit of (old) London but with a kick. The leather is not prominent on my skin but it is there to give the scent power. It smells very expensive somehow.

I can see myself wearing this a lot.

ETA: after 6 hours when the scent has almost faded, on my skin there is vanilla! Soft, nice vanilla!

Edited by quinkel

This smells exactly like leather and rose. :D In the imp and on wet, the rose is dominant. :P However, as this dries, the leather comes out and adds a bit of dustiness and...well, corruption to the rose.

It's not really my kind of scent, but I'm glad I got to try it. Thank you, lab, for giving me this as a giftimp. *hug*

In the bottle: Rose!

On: Wet, this smells very much like Rose Red to me; it's a purely bright rose scent. Drying, however, I smell something else in the background. I know it has to be the leather note, but it doesn' treally smell like leather per se - it's more a warm skin scent.

Overall: This is absolutely beautiful, and this is coming from someone who generally doesn't like rose blends. I'm glad I took a gamble and ordered a bottle, because I love this.

This is one of the only rose scents that I have ever *loved*. It doesn't smell bitter or sharp like most rose notes do to me. It smells like dark wet roses bleeding over a strip of leather. The leather is definitely a perfect background scent.

ETA:

Whip smells totally different now compared to how it did in 2005/2006. I get powdery, light rose from this and almost NO leather now. My older bottles aren't and weren't ever this powdery, and had an equal partner in the leather. My 2011 bottle and latest frimps smell like powdery rose and blah, and fade within about an hour. A lot of scents that I loved years ago don't smell at all the same now...

Edited by Little Bird

I am definatly getting a big bottle of this!!

on me it starts with a light dusky rose scent which fades into a yummy saddle-leather smell.

since my skin amps up leather to 10000 times stronger, I didnt like as much at first, but then I started putting it on my clothes instead of my skin and its fantastic. yum yum yum!

(if i do put this on my skin ill add a little london to keep the rose around, becasue the blend of rose and leather is devine!)

ADDED June 1:

this is quickly becoming one of my all-time favs

in bottle: smells like the description, wet juicy roses and a whipcrack of leather

on skin: my skin amps up leather like crazy, when I put this on my skin all the rose vanished and I was left with just a wet leather smell, not as overpowering as

de sade, but still pretty strong.

so I put off trying it again for a while until i had the idea to put it on my clothes instead of my skin...i'm so glad i thought of this, I've had more compliments on this one than any of the rest combined, the lether balences out the rose perfectly and it dosnt smell remotly "old lady" ish (alot of people have this problem with rose scents)

upon drydown it smells like huge dripping wet bouquets of roses in a tack/saddle shop. freakin' delicious, and if applied to clothing it stays yummy for like, 2 days, my mum sniffed me today and told me I smelled wonderful, its the whip on my sweatshirt from 2 days ago!

Definatly buying a big bottle of this!

Red roses. And they are very very red. The scent of a fresh, perfect deep red rose, with a very subtle touch of leather.

I adore this scent, and am quite thankful that this was in the lagniappe (or should I say Labniappe?) of the last order. Thank you, Lab! :P

What a lovely scent. :P

In the bottle, I can’t smell much of anything.

On my skin, it is mostly a beautiful, wet rose. Like Rose Red, but less green and even wetter to my nose. On me, I get no soapyness at all, which is a good thing. :D

The leather is definitely a undertone in the blend. It is present though and balances the blend nicely. A very sexy blend, perfect a night on the town.

ETA: i think this scent would go great with Dead Man's Hand!

Edited by tropicalstorm

After an unfortunate mishap with a leather-scented car air-freshener, I was a little wary of something with the smell of leather. But this was light, and lovely. The rose was not overpowering. It was cool, and smelled like a rose from the garden, rather than a florist's shop. The leather added a sense of warmth and maturity to the rose smell.

They blended together perfectly, which I appreciated. Neither one overpowered the other. A medium-weight scent, good for either day or evening.