Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Wasn't too much in the imp. Smells rosy kinda? Nice! Need to try again!

Rose and leather are two notes that amp on me and eat up everything else, so I was interested to see what this blend would do. This is a strong, sweet rose and an old, soft leather, and they balance each other very well. This set off a friend's allergies; it is a very strong blend but I like it quite a lot.

Despite my great dislike of rose scents, I decided to order this oil based on several of its reviews. I imagined a deep, sensual, heavy red rose that I could love, mixed with a touch of delicious leather. I imagined a scent that would evoke a mental image of sadomasochistic love, of pain and beauty. Unfortunately, despite my stack of hopes and dreams, it smelled like rose. It’s just a rose. I guess no matter how nice a review of an oil is, a rose is a rose is a rose. That being said, I’m sure it’s a lovely rose scent for those who like it. I just can’t do it. I didn’t pick up any leather in vial or on my skin. It is a red, red rose. Smells like a fresh one, though!

I wanted to love you! :cry2:

Leather was taking lead, with rose peeking.

Not bad, but slightly too leathery at the start, would prefer it a little tamer.

ETA: Okay, I think I'm starting to like this. :P

Edited by ScentedDreams

Whip

Holycrapsoamazing. It's so simple and lovely. The rose is so fresh and the leather is so so so sexy.
:thud: *swoon* :thud:

4.8 out of 5

In imp: Is this leather? Intriguing, kind of inorganic. Can't quite place it, so I guess this must be the Lab's leather note!

On skin: About the same as in imp. The rose seems to peek out now and again (I still haven't learnt it well though), but for the most part I can't tell the leather from the rose, or quite associate this scent to anything else. (But my olfactory memory is rather dismal anyway, I've forgotten how leather jackets -- and roses -- smell.) Rather artificial. Ends up being flat and "one-note" compared to other blends I've tried -- it is a simple scent after all.

Verdict: Not too interesting, and I'm not sure if I like the leather note. Will have to try more leathery blends, but Whip won't be staying.

Whip is one of my favorites because of the feel I get from it - the classic beauty of the rose with the je ne sais quoi of the leather. I get a lot of florist's shop from my fresh bottle, but that's totally OK with me. The leather adds edge, but with my chemistry, it doesn't come across as "ummm.... does she smells like leather?" as much as "hmm... what's that lurking under those fresh roses?" and I quite like it that way.

This is the kind of rose I was hoping for in Harlot, but never got on my skin. It's rich and sweet without being too overpowering.

The leather is present, but subdued. It's a base note holding the rose in place, not sounding forth much on its own. This isn't like when I left my leather gloves in my purse next to an imp of Two, Five, and Seven, the leather smell doesn't come through as much.

I'm also getting a touch of powdery sweetness when I bring my nose right up against my wrist. I like it, but then, I love sweet smells and a bit of powder.

I'd class this as being like Rose Cross on me, strongly rose with just a little bit more underneath to make it somehow even better.

Of all the BPAL blends I've tried, this ranks in my top five worst. I'm not really a fan of rose scents except in very select cases, and usually only when the rose is in the background. My skin amps rose a lot. This was no different. It smelled so awful on me, in fact, that I spent about 10 minutes scrubbing my wrists with dish soap -enough to make my fingers start to prune (AND I SWEAR I COULD STILL SMELL THE ROSE). I didn't detect leather or anything else, just overpowering, soap-y, sachet-y rose. I smelled like Crabtree and Evelyn gone wild. Not good.

I'm new to BPAL and the first bottles I got for myself included Whip. On me, the wetness of the roses really stands out for a while, but it's a fresh smell: it reminds me of cool mornings with the dew heavy on the flowers. However there's a richer scent underneath that grows bolder with time. It resolves itself into the leather, still balanced with roses. I have smelled other BPAL oils with (I think) leather notes in them, but I didn't enjoy them. I enjoy this. I really don't feel the "agony and ecstasy." I find this scent relaxing, with delightfully naughty implications thanks to the title. But others may disagree. ~_^

I adore rose and leather scents and amp both of them so I had high hopes of this scent. When sniffing the bottle I smell a rose in a garden centre. The garden centre smell being a slight whiff of green plants, compost, garden supplies, concrete etc. No leather, just garden centre rose. It's very strong. I put it on and this doesn't change. I tried wiping it off but the smell still lasted all day! I can't believe that the leather didn't come through, I can only assume that I amp both separately, but when they come together rose wins the battle. I like rose scents but not this one, it's too strong and crisp, nothing sweet or romantic about it at all, purely botanical.

In imp: floral, faint rose, watery leather

On Wet: a nice rose scent

On Dry (after a couple min): rose balanced with nice soft leather, and a faint scent of rose hips or crush rose petals

The leather becomes more prominent as time goes by, the scent drys down into a faint roses and watery soft leather.

I really like this scent, the leather in this smells like a soft buttery tanned leather of my handbag. It's really nice, but it's a scent that does not last long my skin.

I will admit I was leery of this one, and rightly so it seems. I was hoping for a strong leather with just a hint of rose and got pretty much all rose. It’s a nice rose mind you, but rose isn’t something I seek out, merely tolerate depending on the blend. I wish the leather had been more insistent on getting top billing on this one.

In the Imp: An interesting leather note, not harsh at all, with rose underneath.

Wet on Skin: very odd

While Drying: This seems to be the same rose from Rose Red - I get that weird old-used-chewing-gum scent, but the leather keeps it from being overly nauseating… rather, I assume it is the leather note - it doesn't smell like the other leather notes I've come across so far (probably a good thing - few of the others have worked for me).

After a Little While: The 'damp' is definitely coming through… it hovers on the border between fresh and dank. It is a bit tingly to my nose. I'm not sure if there is a hidden note in there giving that impression, or if it is triggering a mild allergy. The throw has a nice, but slightly fake, rose scent, but I dislike the skin-close scent because it is a bit sour and musty. The throw is significant. Had I remembered that there was rose in this, I would have used a lighter hand when applying it for testing.

Later: Not soapy, exactly, but smells like the lingering traces from washing with an expensive rose-scented soap. Fairly pretty at this stage, but still not really my style.

Whip earns a 2.5/5 on my skin... maybe as high as 3/5 for the final drydown.

Whoa. Wet: the red rose leaps out, but quickly followed by the black leather. The black leather seems to take over for a minute but it's unfortunately just burning off.

Drydown: non-powdery red rose. Awesome. and a little black leather. This is really strong and will be great when I'm really in the mood for it. Easily identifiable and sexy.

This is a very sharp scent on me. Very, very strong rose (but then, I amp rose like CRAZY), with a spiky softness (oxymoron much?) beneath it that must be the leather. This isn't a soft rose, or a powdery rose, or a green rose, at all. This is all-rose-all-the-time, bright thorny red rose, and it isn't shy of telling you that. The leather is barely distinguishable as a distinct note, but it definitely interacts with the rose to create something...unique.

I love this scent, but it is definitely not an everyday type scent for me. I generally prefer soft, warm, fuzzy, or juicy scents in my everyday rotation - and Whip is none of those. The only time this baby gets the love it deserves is when I go to the club or the renfaire. I'm happy with my imp, but I won't be getting a bottle.

Whip was a scent I was really curious about, but again, didn't have the balls to order on my own. I figured that I wouldn't be fond of it bc I'm not that into rose scents but, boy, was I wrong. I'm so glad it was frimped to me bc my curiosity has been satisfied.

Out of the imp: HELLOOOOO LEATHER! I really wanna know how Beth does it. After the leather, the rose comes out strong. For some reason, I really wanted to prove myself right in assuming these two scents wouldn't work together but they do, quite harmoniously.

On my skin: A simple, pure/clean scent combo The rose is clearly ringing strong, but the leather balances it out so nicely. And oh my god, this scent is so sexy on me.

Final Verdict: I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want a full size bottle. In the mean time, I'm sure Whip will prove quite useful to conjure the naughty vixen within me ;]

My first review!

I ordered Whip as one of my imps in my very first lab order.

The rose note in Whip is much more delicate than I was expecting. Though delicate, my overall impression of the rose is that it's big and healthy. For some reason, it makes me feel like I'd want to chew on the petals. I think this is the leather note lending a sense of "texture" to an otherwise simple fragrance.

As for the leather note, it's subtle and my chemistry keeps it in the background at all times.

I was expecting a brazen, deep scent from Whip, but I'm quite pleased with the fresh and full fragrance that it actually is.

Whip is also a nice hair fragrance; simple and organic.

My associations:

Color: Diluted pink.

Mood: Impulsive.

5/5 stars. My first favorite BPAL.

Edited by Rho

This is a real surprise for me. I'll be honest, I tried the imp for the concept, not the rose. I'm not a big rose fan- the smell of roses is objectively beautiful to me, but just not how I picture myself smelling. I don't know- it seems so delicate. I like Rose Red, however, and it seems like I'm liking the lab's rose notes that are described as wet or dewey.

On me, neither scent predominates. I don't really particularly amp rose or leather, but many of the reviews said this was all rose to them. On me it is like those persistence of vision images? Where the image goes "redgreenredgreenredgreen" really fast and your eyes get kind of dazzled? Like that, except I get roseleatherroseleatherroseleather. Well, make that in all caps and you'll be closer. This is a blend with some THROW. And still going strong after 8 hours! I found a bottle in swaps, so I'm thrilled!

I wanted to love Whip, I really did. However it's turned into a rose single note with a sharp powdery backdrop.

DO.NOT.WANT.

Imp -- yep, that's black leather. new black leather, like a jacket or a sex toy. there is some crushed rose back there too.

Wet -- the roses are stronger than in the imp. But the leather is making them smell rubbery. Boo.

Dry -- the throw of the rose is great, very rich and heady and red. But I hate the leather. It smells like a really cheap leather jacket from 14th Street or cruddy cheap sex toys. Makes the roses acrid and rubbery. Soon enough this was nauseating. Had to wash it off but it didn't go down easy.

Oh well, another for the swaps.

Soft black leather with touches of red rose. Neither one overwhelms each other, they just meld together beautifully. The leather is tough, and raw and masculine. The rose is lush, velvety and heady. Together they strike a perfect balance. :wub2:

Imp: Roses, roses, and more roses. Lush and gorgeous!

Wet: The leather is still in hiding, but the wet roses are all over the place! This is a sexy yet refined scent that demands to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, it's also giving me a headache.

Dry: Ah, there's the leather. It's as if the leather is wrapped around the stems of the roses. This is a fantastic scent for a night out and especially a night in, if you know what I mean. A little bit goes a LONG way, though; a little too much and you'll be reaching for the aspirin.

I'm not sure how often I'll wear this, but it is a beautifully-crafted scent.

I love this scent already. So glad I got a bottle.

On the first sniff of the bottle, all I get is rose. It reminds me so much of when I was younger and the tea roses growing in the backyard that would come though in the evening. That's the same scent I get when I first put it on. I'm wondering when I'll smell leather, if at all. But, it's a pleasant dark, richer smell. For a moment, as it's drying down, I get a quick hit of lemon in the roses, like someone was putting it in a glass, which goes away and doesn't return. But, for the most part, the leather seems to blend in with the smell of the rose. This is all able to be smelled very strongly without it being next to my nose.

When it's completely dried down, I'm still faintly getting the rose and leather mixing together quite nicely. And it's not getting soapy, which I was worried about also. Last time, I tried a rose scent, there ended up being the soap scent in the background.

I keep sniffing my wrist at odd moments to get more of the scent.