Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Whip

Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Mmmmmmn, who didnt like the description of this one.
:P

In the vial, it smells very faintly of anything, you can smell a tiny floral background to it.

On the skin initially the rose comes out first, smelling very clean and fresh. Its not until you can smell the leather lying underneath the rose though that the blend deepens. As the rose settles down, the leather note comes out more prominently and balances gently with the rose. The leather brings a slight sweetness to the mix, and the smell of myrtal comes to mind (from Wanda!!!) making a fantastic combination of something not quite as heady as Wanda but more rosey. This is ecstasy indeed, I love rose scents, and I think between Kurukulla and this I have two new favourite rose blends!

I knew I would love this. Dark red velvety rose over black leather, as the description says. Whip is drier and less heady than Wanda, not so girly, but still sexy. It's like Wanda's punk little sister.

I agree with isyche, wanda's punk little sister. The rose and leather mix so well that I don't really pick one out over the other unless I search for it. it's this sweet, deep, sexy, throbbing scent, definitely brings about some naughty thoughts of the less than vanilla variety. :P I guess it does it's job well then.

You know, I was going to buy a bottle of Whip for my mother, but now I'm not so sure.. She loves rose scents, and while I got her a bottle of Rose Red again, Whip is a completely different kind of rose.

Rose Red is a perfectly crisp tea rose. Whip, on the other hand, is huge red roses, dozens of them in vases around the room, all fully bloomed and starting to droop. They're heady and almost over-ripe, and they are simply gorgeous.

The leather never shows itself fully to me. I know it's there, because there's a heavier note to the rose than it would have on it's own, but it's never obvious. Don't think saddles or leather gloves - think of a very, very good german leather briefcase with suede inside, and stick your nose into it. Hold your breath long enough to grab one of the roses in the room, and breathe in one more time.

Whip is all about the rose, but this is a woman's rose, not a girl's. In fact, it's a lover's rose, vibrant and full of passion; no rosebuds here, but wide open, fully bloomed, and just past their peak after a gracing the hotel suite of a lovers' reunion.

This is the rose scent that I can wear. Not innocent, not springtime in a bottle, but big and bold enough to match my Scorpio intensity, any time of the year and for any occasion.

Rose Red. Moon Rose. Havisham (wich indeed smells rosy to me). Black Rose. Maiden. All rose scents. All lovely. Whip is the perfect rose scent. I will never be without it and my search for the signature rose has come to an end. Perfect.

On me, Whip is almost all rose. I can detect a hint of leather, mostly within the rose, if that makes sense. It's not a seperate scent, it's just present in a slight change to the scent of rose. The rose is very strong and I agree that it's sort of dry, at least to my nose. I want to like Whip, but I really wanted more leather, more balance. It's my skin's fault though, I'm sure, as my chemistry tends to amplify and sharpen roses and most other florals.

Whip is EXACTLY as the lab's description says. Wet roses and leather. It almost steams with rose-scented fog.

It's lovely, and this is coming from someone that doesn't really like rose scents. My skin also tends to grab on to rose notes and not let them go.

To me, it smells like the oil version of Demeter's Belladona spray.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

Preconceived notions:

I actually ordered an imp of Whip about a week before I got an imp of it in my latest order from the Lab. I love leather scents, so I was pretty curious about this one even though I don't really care for rose. I'm hoping the leather in this is strong and the rose is reasonably soft.

First sniff:

Wow, that's rose alright. This smells almost identical to (Old) London right out of the imp...almost pure rose, but not the powdery variety, the kind that smells like a fresh-cut rosey rose if that makes any sense at all. I don't mind this sort of rose as much as the powdery variety, so this isn't too bad, although I'd prefer the lather to be much stronger.

Wet on skin:

The rose is still predominant, but I'm starting to smell the leather now, hiding in the background. I'm sure it's just hte name of this one combining with the rose scent, but I can't help but think of those beautiful but not terribly functional rosebud floggers when I smell this. It's an odd combination of sweetly feminine and no-nonsense aggression that I like a lot in principle, although I'm not sure I can tolerate this since the rose in this is so strong.

Dry down:

The leather is coming out a little more now although it's still not as strong as I'd like. I'm actually starting to really like this. I definitely wouldn't wear this every day or even very often, but this could be a good scent for those rare moments when I indulge my inner Dominatrix. :P

The bottom line:

Although the rose in this is much stronger than I'd like ideally and the leather isn't near strong enough for my tastes, I'll be keeping this one for special occasions and may try to layer it with De Sade to amp up the leather note. :D

Whip is not something I expected to like, nor would I have ordered it myself (as I don't really care for roses or leather). But the lab was nice enough to include it in my last order, so I tried it and was quite surprised. It's a very forceful sort of rose - not mild and meek (like Magdalene), vaguely churchy (like Spellbound), or soapy (like Black Cat). It smells like rose petals picked straight from the flower and crushed up. This seems to be the sort of rose I like. The leather never really surfaces. I like this one enough that I might consider a larger bottle at a later date.

Whip

Pure rose. No leather here. It's just sweet ROSE!! It's not as green as the rose in Rose Red but this is practically a single note.

I used to think I loved rose blends but now I am not too sure. This is too much for my poor nose :P

I got to try Whip thanks to the lovely Red Hot Mama :D . When I first started trying BPAL, I tried a lot of rose scents that didn't work on me, they went sharp. But I kept on trying and now I realize it was never the rose in those blends that was the problem, but some other note. Well, there isn't much in Whip besides Beth's beautiful whole rose (stems, leaves and petals) and it's lovely. Very close to Rose Red, just not quite as chilly. And the leather barely shows up, maybe just a hint several hours into the drydown. This one is strong with a lot of throw for the first half hour, then settles down to a quiet whisper that lasts about four hours and never goes powdery. Wonderful :P !

Not much leather here, at least that I can detect.

Roses, glowing roses. =)

I am not gigantic on roses; however, this one is light enough that I don't entirely mind.

I can detect some note underneath, not spice, just something in the background hideing behind the roses.

The picture popping up in my mind:

Two dew covered roses laying on a shelf on a piece of brown suade. One thorn clearly has a drop of blood clinging to it, since whomever placed them down as an offering was not cautious enough to avoid the bite.

Delicate beauty, yet strong and protected of itself.

Unfortunatly,

when worn to visit my mate, he said it smells like his sister!!!!!! *tweaks out* I guess she has some perfume which smells smiliar. :P

Oh well. I like it at least other than the sisterly comment!

:blinks: I was a little frightened of this as De Sade was a little bit too hard black leather and Wanda never really worked on me. But how could I resist leather and roses?

In the vial, vaguely rosey but not much there.

On me, tons of lush, drooping red roses, in full bloom and just starting to droop. The leather isn't really a full leather scent at first, just a deep undertone that softens and grounds this and make it utterly gorgeous.

The leather comes out a little more as this dries down, but its still gorgeous, soft and supple black leather under rose petals. Black leather bustiers and beds of roses. I put this on in the evening to test and I could barely sleep because I kept catching this gorgeous heady sexy scent. Definite keeper.

Wow. there's a whole lot of rose in this one. The leather doesn't come out on me at all. It usually has a rather distinctive bubblegum sort of scent on me, but nope. this one's definitely all rose.

It's not the kind of powdery rose i get from crucible or courage, nor the most dewey rose in rose red.. this one is more like a giant cut rose, freshly plucked from the local grocery store. :P

It's a nice scent, but those other two are more to my liking than this one, besides being rather similar to them.

I am in lust with Whip! :P

It is the first rose scent from the lab that hasn't turned bad on me, I don't detect the leather at all. Maybe I don't have a very finely tuned nose.

No complaints gotta get a 10ml of this juicy red rose

Whip has a subdued, wearable sort of rose (similar to the rose in Kali).

The rose and leather together are sleek and elegant, very womanly. I find this fragrance plays well with both De Sade and Perversion -- call it the cerebrally sexy trio.

Whip

(I just can’t help but think of this as the Kushiel blend. God help me, but the thought won’t go away. LOL)

(I’m also kind of excited. I’ve been pouty and sad since the discovery that Rose Red was too much for my whimpy self. So I’ve put myself on a mission to find other rose blends to love in its stead.)

Sniff: Yep, rose. A dewy rose at that.

Wet: Still predominately rose, but it deepens almost instantly the moment I put it on.

After 10: It’s amazing how the leather isn’t coming out at all for me. LOL There’s something about my skin and rose. It amplifies it. I’m going to wait a while longer and see if the leather smacks me. Nope, still no leather. How odd. It’s a nice enough rose, though.

Wet: all rose. Not the regular kind of dusty grandma rose though, this reminds me of the fake rose perfume that used to come with toys when I was about 7. A little bubbly. Hyper-real, if you will.

Dry: drat. This is still all rose. I hope the leather shows up…

30 minutes after application: scent is a lot lighter, and not changed much.

1 Hour later: same old, same old

Is Rose an aphrodisiac? I think it might have … given me certain thoughts, but that alone won’t make me keep it. Probably off to swaps. Lovely rose scent, just not for me

Whip is pure, heady rose on me. Like others, I can't smell anything in the imp, but I can sure smell the rose when it's on my skin. The leather notes hide, and I can only smell distant hints of leather.

I'm not a huge rose fan, so Whip is not for me. Into the swap pile it goes!

My skin really amps up leather, so contary to many of the posts I've read, I actually really smell the leather, combined with true red rose in pretty equal proportions.

It smells like this in the vial, and when first applied, and I really like it at both those points, but after about an hour, the combination goes powdery and starts to have that old-lady-ish quality.

So ultimately, it doesn't work for me.

Yeah! *cheer*

This was one I couldn't stop sniffing after I swiped on the imp. The leather works really well to anchor the rose so it's not as sweet as Rose Red, but the rose is a nice wet one like in Rose Red, not dusty like in London.

I don't know what else to add....I too can not stop sniffing my wrist....I absolutely LOVE this scent (and it smells delish with Bon Vivant as well). I never thought that I would be so fond of a rose scent. I'm not even aware that I'm smelling leather - - I just know that it's there doing something wonderful and magical...Big bottle of this for sure....can't wait to layer with other scents too! :P

rose rose rose and a hint of new fresh fine leather. It's very good and just what it says but the leather smell makes it a tiny bit too sharp on me. I love london for tea rose and harlot for a warm sexy rose so this one is just well, unnecessary for me. It's just a bit too bright a scent.

Edited by mmcfa2

Whip is one of my favorite BPAL scents. On me, it's red, wet rose, with a hint of leather. Like a huge red rose, all the way open, wet with dew and wrapped with a leather cord around the stem. It's sexy, but not too sexual to wear to work. It's very fresh, clean, spring-y to me, but at the same time it's like a darker, damper rose-y-er version of Rose Red. Love it!

It's also got decent staying power.

This is just lovely! I love Rose Red, this is a wonderful alternative when I run out. This is a slinkier rose than rose red, this is what I would wear if I wanted to smell clean & crisp. This is very femenine but definatley not foofoo. Well I love it, and when I run out of Rose Red, I will get a 5 ml of this, for sure.