Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
monet

Anubis

... His scent is a blend of holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs.

Wet on my skin, I got a whiff of incense smoke. Dry, I smell myrrh and herbs. Really, this must be what a temple to Anubis smelled like. It's not really me, but I do like it and I may get a bottle. Edited by Shollin

Anubis starts off as a honeyed sharp herbal scent, but warms into dried leaves and myrrh as it dries. I do like the scent, and will probably get a bottle for the name alone, as I'm an Egyptonut.

Imp: Grape candy.

Wet: Sweetened medicinal smoke/incense.

Drydown: High pitched grape candy with a few wisps of smoke. This is bringing up strong emotional memories but I have no idea what they are; something I've forgotten.

Dry: Sweetened smoke.

My rating: 3/5. If I were still living in college dorms where incense is prohibited, this is what I'd use to simulate the incense smokiness.

Anubis smells, weirdly, like a garden center in the imp -- sunlight, dirt, and leaves everywhere. On my wrist it's pleasantly dry-smelling, herbal without being medicinal or too "green," with a base of faded incense that's not at all heavy. Very comforting, actually, and the whole thing smells airy. It's not something I would ever have ordered, but I'm glad it came as a frimp -- I can't ever see myself wearing it but it might make a great scent for an outdoor dinner.

n the Imp : I really don't get too much of a scent from this - there's something very smooth and not too demanding however. If this scent had a texture it would be smooth and waxy the way beat bees wax is - smooth and ready to melt.

Wet : Mostly just getting storax and balsam. This smells like a very nice liniment.

Dry : This really is a wonderful scent. I can't peg down any single note now - its sweet without being sweet and completely undemanding. A perfect representation of the Egyptian God of the Dead - I can see an ancient embalming room smelling something like this. It's also crazy how "warm" this scent is without being warm in the traditional way since it doesn't contain anything spicy or over powering. This just exudes warmth from the very inner part of the oil.

Over All : Perfect concept realized through the power of scent.

Big Bottle Worthy : No, not on me but I think I'll be keeping the imp.

It's sweet but not too much so. I smelled milk in honey in it when I put it on, I was told it smelled like myrrh and other spices on me.

I like it, it's sensual and a little mysterious, but also "clean" enough that I could wear it to the office. This is definitely going on my list of 5ml's to buy.

the myrrh and balsam are actually very nice but anubis is just way too herbal on me.

Initial impression: Yum! Apparently storax is a sweet resin. I am guessing that's what's doing the stunning thing with the myrrh. I am not sure which balsam they are using. If it was balsam of Mecca that might also explain the stunning resiny scent. Whatever the case, this is an instant winner, reminiscent of O and Snake Oil, with a clean, yet sensuous edge to it. I am really liking this. Don't buy if resin and intense turn you off though since that is what you are getting.

In the imp: I have no idea what I'm smelling, but I don't really like it.

Wet: Coriander.

Drydown: OK, there's the myrrh, and balsam, and ... what smells like plant sap. I guess that's the embalming herbs. What it smells like to me, however, is the dandelion note in Roadhouse, kind of a weird association with Anubis. There's an edge to this one that I'm not sure I like at all, but I'm willing to work with it.

Dry: Becoming gradually sweeter, incense-y. There's a sharp ominous note underneath that keeps this from being too sentimental.

I think this was a Lab frimp (thank you, Lab!). I like this, although probably not enough to buy a whole bottle.

first off- OMG I found my signature scent!!! THANK YOU BPAL!! I may order a few of these in case you discontinue it *knocks on wood*

In the bottle:

very strong balsam and i can smell the herbs associated with embalming. My conciousness and subconciousness recognize these, and while my consciousness is enthralled, my sub recoils in recognition of death. I can also smell the sacred myrrh and a hint of what smells like blood and amber to me

Wet-

the glorious life scent of amber and myrrh blends with the embalming herbs and balsam beautifully, with a rich wet smell.

Dry-

rich, dark, inviting, like a warm bed in a pitch black room- you just close your eyes and succumb to the warmth and dark inticing scent. It's spicy, but in a subtle malevolent, yet benevolent way, if it makes sense. The myrrh and herbs blend together in a sanctimonious harmony, the overall effect calming, unnerving, exotic and sultry.

I got a few comments from co workers and a random person at the gas station while pumping gas, and was told it suited me well(co workers) and the guy at the gas station said I smelled exotic and sexy, and wanted to know where to get some so he could buy some for his wife!

Thank you, BPAL!! I AM IN LOVE

This was a first: a frimp that was on my wishlist! I was very pleasantly surprised.

At first blush, this is a whole lot like Bastet. It's lighter, though; I think it's the amber missing. It makes me feel the same way, though- very soothed and relaxed. It's oddly sweet, too, almost like… bubblegum? It gets even sweeter on the dry down.

It's quite versatile- I can see wearing it to the opera as easily to the grocery store.

Ooooh, wow!

I am really attracted to myrrh, despite the fact that it's a little loud for me to pull off....

Anubis starts out warm and honeyed, and then gets deeper as the myrrh develops. It's a deep, resinous blend, very incensey.

The herbs take a backseat to the resins with my chemistry.

This is a dark, exotic scent. The honeyed softness makes it feminine enough to wear, but it's so intensely dark that I'm not sure if I would wear it again. It's an awesome scent, but doesn't seem to suit me personally....I will try it again at a different time of the month and see if it works any better.

3.7 out of 5

The first time I tried it, it was too sweet for me, with a weird unpleasant tang. It must have been a bad time for me, skin-chemistry-wise. I tried it again last night and I got a different effect... I'm not getting the "dry" and "smoky" as much as other people, and that's a shame.

Instead, it reminded me of dragon's blood... is that what that stuff is called? It was something, which I know now comes from the herb shop, that we'd smoke in high school. We were told that it was opium, which made us feel oh-so-exotic. A decade later, a high school friend decides to make her own incense, and voila, we discover our naive mistake.

Perhaps I had this major flashback because I was wearing it to, of all things, a high school basketball game. (I felt so out of place there, but we went to have a nice time with my father-in-law.) The setting, plus the smell of Anubis, took me into a time warp. (And helped to inject some interest into the setting for me. :P )

Oddly, when I'd sniff my wrists, I could hardly smell anything at all. I'd assumed that the scent had worn off after just an hour. But, no! Every time I'd move I'd get a huge whiff of Anubis! How strange... Anubis hides, avoiding direct interaction. Instead he follows your every move like a shadow.

Added--

There is something fruity about this. I wish I could go back in time and give this to myself in high school, when I wore nothing but strawberry or vanilla essential oil. I would have LOVED it.

Edited by mazikeen

This won't be the most helpful review as I'm unfamiliar with most of the ingredients in Anubis, but I can tell you that on my wrist it all translates into a quiet, warm, golden-green scent with a very slight sticky fruitiness to it. It's resinous.

Anubis starts out very dry. I'm not sure how else to describe it -- it's a little like smelling resins just in your hand, not being burned. It's a little fragrant, but also a little bit flat, if that makes sense. There's a dry herbal quality along with this.

After about 30 minutes, though, this morphs into a much warmer and more interesting fragrance. There are light, dry herbs, lightly smoky resins, and round, sweet edge, like amber.

This is a really nice entry into the Egyptian theme. It's not overwhelmingly herbal, but they do color the blend. I recommend this to fans of resins, especially anyone who's in search of a lighter, not so heavy and smoky resin. The throw is kind of light. Wear life is about average.

in the imp: i get dragon's blood, myrrh and orange mixing into a beautiful offeratory scent. :P

wet on skin: the citrus and dragon's blood continue to dance and are now joined by something i can't quite name...something creamy-nutty-floral all at the same time. whatever it is, it's swoon-worthy.

dry down: everything mixes in such a way so that i come to a point where i can no longer pull out individual notes, but just have something entirely new to smell.

in all: and that smell is SO yummy!

:D

When I sniffed Anubis in the imp, I got a whiff of something really unpleasant... almost reminiscent of cat pee. :P Needless to say, I was not too thrilled about that, and I put off trying it.

Thankfully, once applied to the skin there is no trace of whatever that note was. On the skin it's all powdery-musky-ambery, very strong and with a ton of throw. I find it pleasant, but a bit overwhelming. I think it's the balsam that's getting me. I love the scent of balsam, but I find it makes me feel sneezy and lightheaded, and Anubis is kind of doing that.

When fully dry, Anubis is similar to both Bastet and Leo (2007): amber with a hint of nuts and fruits.

I don't know what to do with this scent. I am not sure whether I like it and think it smells of incense and apples or...do I think it smells like ant spray and is headache inducing? I can't tell yet, but I am sure as hell going to find out!

In the imp vial: "rich" is the word that came to my mind. i can't pick out individual notes.

Applied, wet: It smells sweet and fruity, on top of a musky, golden scent.

Dry: Sweetness definitely toned down, and it mixes with the incense smell quite nicely. A little exotic smelling, it reminds me of the incense in some middle-eastern restaurants I've been to.

Edited by spelmermaid

In the Bottle: Wow, this is so much more green than I was anticipating for an Egyptian scent

On Me: The storax and balsam come to the front, with the herbs making everything seem very green and fresh. It warms on the skin with the myrrh, becoming more golden. A neat scent.

:P Wow :D

In the imp, wet and dry, I pick up mainly a rich honey scent. It stays and stays and is just gorgeous. This is possibly the first and only BPAL fragrance that has remained true from imp opening to 16 hours later...

There are not enough words to describe how I love this.

My guess is the honey note is actually the storax, or maybe storax and myrrh pretending to be honey. At first I thought I hated this, because I don't like honey scents very much, and this seemed to be mostly honey.

Give it a few moments, and it shifts slightly into glowing resins. Reminds me a lot of Minotaur, actually, only not as dark as that scent. And if I didn't already have a whole bottle of Minotaur, I would probably want to wear this.

Even though I don't love this, I think it's a really interesting scent, and worth holding onto the imp just to break it out every once in a while and see how those resins are aging. Or for enabling another incense lover like me (one who likes the sweeter resins a little more than I do).

First, in my long and often frustrating hunt, Anubis gets kudos for not triggering any allergic reactions! Second, I absolutely adore this scent in every phase.

Wet: Strong, dry, warm smell. Not very herbal, sort of incesnsey without being on me for once. A very formal yet comforting smell.

Dry: Very faint hint of amber and vanilla when dry several hours later. Pleasant and sweet, with just enough hint of dry incense to keep it from being cloying. A perfect smell for wearing to work, and it is neither frivolous nor flirty, and remains comforting without being demanding.

Verdict: Either keep collecting imps or an eventual bottle.

Upon opening the imp: Incense, which must be the myrrh, and the herbs waft about. It's sweet, but not in a sugary way. My first thought was, "Wow!" :D

Upon slathering generously: I probably could have put less on, but I couldn't help myself and went a little crazy. I'm not sure if other people smelled it (my husband did, but he's got a sensitive nose), but I kept smelling it throughout the day (8 hours and counting). It didn't morph much from imp to me, I still get that incense and herb smell. I like!

On skin after 8 hours: If I put my nose to my wrist, I smell vanilla and herbs, what friends describe as 'foody' when 'encouraged' to sniff me. Must be the honey note people keep mentioning.

Final verdict: Very good! I'm think I'll stick with the imp for a while to make sure I want to keep wearing it, but I really, REALLY enjoy Anubis.

Update: :P My husband says it smells like baby powder... noooo!

Edited by KitCroupier