Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
monet

Anubis

... His scent is a blend of holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs.

Right out of the imp this is sweet and has an almost honey-like quality to it.

On my skin I'm still getting that honey-like scent. I think that myst be the myrhh. There's something musky in the background as well.

As this dries down it becomes very powdery and perfumy.

I never got any of the balsam or embalming herbs. This is just a very strong, myrrh on me. The throw is great too!

If you like resiny scents, this one is definilty for you.

Although I generally love all the notes in this blend it just doesn't smell "right" on my skin.

Off to swaps!

Edited by CourtneyLynne

Wow, this surprised me. From the description I was expecting something mysterious/austere, but this is warm and really lovely. It starts out with the honey note that many have mentioned, which on me is sweet but not sugary, and a grassy, gently herbal scent. About an hour later it develops a note almost like wine that adds some refinement. The throw is good and it lasts a long time on me (i.e. overnight).

this smells warm and golden, like an incense stick. i think i am getting mostly myrrh and herbs, with the myrrh being most strong. it smells pretty much like generic incense with my skin chemistry. nice enough i guess, but not really me.

Edited by theseagrows

Scent: Anubis

Bottle: My very first thought was "a Kirkland's store." O.o It smells very potpourri-ish; something juniper-y, and something sort of berry-sweet. Completely not "Anubis" scented to me.

Wet: Still Kirkland's. A little foody. As it begins to dry down, something wooden comes up. Wow. Talk about a scent I can't place for crap! *lol*

30 Mins.: My god... I smell like a Hallmark store. *facedesk* Insane, fake, old-lady potpourri. Ew.

Two Hours: Okay, on the tail-end of this scent, it begins to smell yummy. It's a soft amber with a touch of wine. I can only smell it if I press my nose to my wrist, though, and I'm not sure the experience of reaching this point is worth it.

. . Heck if I know what made it smell like a Kirkland's store, but I think the scent isn't very "Anubis"-y to me, and is going on the swap pile. Sigh. And I had high hopes, too.

Sweet for a head shop :P .

Anubis has a bit of the same flavor as Bastet, namely the warmth, honey and almond, but the overall blend is more incense than perfume. I would use this as a room or potpourri scent anytime.

At first i get myrrh, which I love. Then it goes to herbs, which I don't like all that much. It starts out warm, brown, and resinous, then it goes to a weird greenish brown. I wish it stayed more like it was in the imp. grrrrrrr.

All right, this finally tears it for me: I just can't wear BPAL's myrrh blends. I liked this in the bottle (I like them all in the bottle!) as a soft, golden incense with an herbal undertone. But the minute I put it on, everything evaporates except the myrrh, which emerges to both eat all the other scents and give me a headache, same as all the other myrrh blends I keep trying, hoping to find one that won't do this. Body chemistry 1, Myrrh Blends 0. I had to wash it off.

1/5.

Hm...weirdly enough, it scared me a little when I first put it on. Just something in it brought back some childhood fear or other :P

But now that that's gone, it smells...warm? And there's something sort of cold? Mostly cause of the name, I picture being in an old tomb, opening a box of almonds (I think there might be almonds in it?) and there just being a little bit of fresh air coming down from a very distant crack overhead.

I like! Not sure when I'll wear it but I'm keeping it because I'm sure I will.

In vial: I smell honey and herbs.

wet: more honey, some myrrh. There's a creamy quality to it.

Dry: Sharp honey. The herbs are really biting. There's a sharpness to it that isn't nice at all.

I smell like...coffee? Seriously, I smell like the inside of a Starbucks. It's really strange. Which would be awesome if I *liked* coffee, but I don't.

In the imp: herbs, honey & slightly fruity

On the skin: this smells like fruity honey. I never would have thought that based one the listed notes. Hmmm. I’m not too fond of honey so we’ll see how this goes. There could be a touch of resins back there but the honey and fruitiness completely overpower any other scents and I just can’t get past that impression. The honey scent is overwhelming this for me.

After it’s been on a while, the honey scent begins to fade a small bit, and I’m liking this more, but not enough to hang onto any imps that come my way. After it’s been on about an hr, it takes on a bit of dusty tone, but the honey and herbs are still going strong.

Well, I just looked at some of the reviews for this scent, a lot folks have smelled a strong honey from this scent – when I first smelled it, I was really surprised!

in the imp: pleasantly herby and just a teeny bit sweet

wet: the sweetness amps up and that herbs drift in and out; there's a bit of wood in here, but it lends a kind of mellow complexity to the scent rather than overpowering it. And whoa, but this has some STRONG throw!

drydown: sweet, woodsy herbs...

dry: this makes me think of a drier Athens, or a wetter Ouija. Sweet myrrh grounded by the herbs, and a thick, resiny note like honey. It's interesting and pleasant.

extreme drydown: woke up the morning after I put this on and wow, this one dries down so beautifully... it smells like sticky resin dripped over sweet herbs with a wee bit of incensey smoke drifting in the background. Beautiful. It lasts and lasts (24 hours later, I can still smell it)… I think I like the eventual drydown best, so will probably put this on at least 12 hours before an event. It's a keeper!

This is a sweet, smooth herby scent. It's brighter than I was expecting it to be, and the herbs aren't the gentle soothing kind of herbs that I like. They're not harsh or anything, just not soothing. Not a bad scent, but not my favorite.

This wasn't one I'd off-the-bat thought of getting, but it was listed cheap in a sale...sooo....what the heck!

In the imp--floral incensy--sweet and green florals

On wet--green and aquatic with odd floral background

Drydown--Old incense (the Gonesh description DOES fit!) sweet and resinous....golden...

I like it...not enough to run out and get a bottle, but I'll be wearing this one again.

:P

Anubis is not for me. There's something in it that doesn't agree with my chemistry, and I washed it off as quickly as possible.

Out of this one, I get mostly myrrh and balsam, though once it dries down and settles I get berries? O_o

It's not quite what I was expecting, given the description, but I really do like it. It kind of reminds me of Florence, but without the amber. I think it would be a nice scent in the fall/winter. It makes me think of Christmas :P

Edited to add: today I wore this by itself all day. It gave me a headache. It doesn't smell bad (it really is quite lovely!), but something in it doesn't agree with me. Sadly, off to swaps it goes.

Edited by ariosa

i never really considered this scent before, as it didn't seem my "thing." it is definitely very bitter and a sniff of it concentrated/wet releases some weird "starchy" element, which i assume comes from the arboreal ingredients. interestingly, at a distance, anubis is slightly powdery and a tinge sweet...for how?! i'm starting to think myrrh likes to play tricks on me. either way, anubis becomes another type of scent completely at drydown, very unexpectedly. a touch nicer than massaging myself with incense. while this is for the better, it is probably something i'd rather smell on a man person. so i shall slather le boy in it against or in keeping with his will :P

eta: someone told me, literally minutes after i applied it, that i smelled "amazing." so i guess i'll share it with manchild. it definitely has lasting power, which is not something i can say about many oils i've tried...hrm. perhaps i'll change my tune on this one.

Edited by eatingthesea

In the imp it reminds me a little of Cairo, dulled down. Nothing really comes forward though.

Wet on my skin it's a little like lemons, with a herby background. It's light and sweet.

Aaannnddd.. now it's soap.

About 15 minutes later it shifts out from the soap stage, and becomes like a light sweet incense, with a hint of lemon in the background. The hint of Cairo reminds in the background as well.

It floats around between soap and incense for the entire time it is on me.

It's not really for me.

In the Imp: I'm not sure what I expected from this scent, but this isn't it. To me, Anubis smells like floral honey, and broken green stems, and just a touch of incense. It's very nice, but definitely not the impression I got from the name.

Wet: Honey and nice, leafy green things-- I guess that's the herbs-- followed by a trail of incense. Quite light, and beautiful, and unusual. It smells both fresh and old and sweet and dry all at once. It's a lot like how I imagine my own natural scent to be, actually-- perfect for a young student. It's both calm and pleasant, and exudes a slight aura of tranquility. Throw isn't much, but it's enough.

Dry: Pretty much the same, but I have a feeling this one is going to last a while. What a great everyday blend.

I smell herbs and also something like honey or beeswax. When it dries I can detect the myrrh. This is actually surprisingly sweet scent! The color associations I get are gold and green.

Anubis is a warm and gentle blend but I get an odd waxy feeling of it. (Or maybe embalmed.. :P .) It is very unique scent, I don’t even know if I like it or not!

I was very happy to see that the Lab had thrown in an imp of Anubis in my latest order. It is not a scent I would have ordered based on the notes alone, even though Yinepu/Anubis is one of my three patron Gods.

In the imp, this blend is surprisingly fruity and resiny, with a bright, fresh, almost minty note that lingers in the background. A very pleasant surprise, as it smells much more wearable than what I expected.

As soon as the oil touches my skin, it goes through a very brief "thick honey" phase, then morphs almost instantly into a warm, soft scent in which the resins and the herbs perfectly balance each other.

Most of the initial sweetness disappears after drydown. Once dry, Anubis proves to have great throw, yet never becomes overpowering thanks to its softness.

This is a dignified scent, but there is nothing foreboding about it. To me it primarily evokes Anubis's role as a psychopomp guide of the souls, much more than any funerary connotation.

A great gender-neutral blend.

Edited by Ishtar

In the imp: Honey! This smells exactly like honey to me.

Wet/Drydown: The sweet honey note quickly gets deepened by heady resin and spicy herbs. I can smell that clean bite of the balsam. This is a thick, slow-moving, dripping scent. It’s predominantly resin, backed up by the herbs. This is luscious!

Dry: Doesn’t change much – stays thick, delicious, golden resin with spicy herbs mixed in. I’m in love with Anubis!

Seriously, this blend is TEH SEX. This blend is unbelievably sexy on me. I need a 5ml and I need it now.