Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
monet

Anubis

His scent is a blend of holy myrrh, storax, balsam, and embalming herbs.

This is pleasantly base notey. Mostly I get something balsamic, vanillic, honey-like, wood-toned and resinous that makes me think of benzoin with balsam, myrrh and a little honey.

Embalming herbs? Not a clue.

Edited by Casablanca

This is going to need a lot of age before I'll know whether I want to keep the frimp. I knew that the combination of balsam and embalming herbs would be risky for me, but I love the concept so I had to give it a skin test. Sure enough, it's true to the idea and I can see the inner sanctum of a pyramid, or the cozy study of an Egyptologist who's reading by candlelight late into the night.

The imp is still so fresh that it gives off a spiky, almost menthol quality. I think that this oil could be a thing of majesty if it ages long enough, but I'm not sure I'm elegant and regal enough to pull it off.

A little swipe on the inside and outside of one wrist, dabbed onto my other wrist, is more than enough.

In the imp: Omnidirectional resins and herbs, with an unexpected fresh component and what is almost definitely the Lab's beeswax and/or honey note(s).

Wet: More herbal than resinous, and maybe even a bit floral? Yeah, from afar (and this has a pretty good throw on me) I get something herbal-floral. ...And, uh-oh, that may be a soapy note developing. WTF skin???

Dry: That was definitely a soapy edge, but it quickly fades back into a skin-level-only scent, then disappears entirely. What's left is a soft, pleasant beeswax-resinous blend, with a vague herbal edge. Like Casablanca says, pleasantly base note-y. Unusually soft and short-lasting, though - resins tend to really hang around on my skin, but I'm having to huff my wrist to get anything beyond like 6 or 8 hours. Which is respectable enough, but most resins hang around for 10 hours or more.

Overall, I find this a very mellow, comforting blend. Nothing stands out too sharply, but that's not a bad thing - it'll be great for days when I feel indecisive or unsettled and need some strengthening.

Pollen note that i notice from slippery poppy tincture. It almost but not quite reminds me of honey. Combined with a light, golden, frankincense-like resin scent. If there are any herbs, there's a small hint of them chopped up and mixed into some kind of oil (maybe even olive oil?). It's not *herbal* but they're subtly there. Balsam keeps it light. The scent is light in general. Not light as in barely scented but light as in not heavy in feel. It's actually fairly strong. It almost has a cologne-like note so I think this would easily work for a guy as well, it's fairly unisex. Very golden. Pretty but not *me*.

I'm a little surprised to like this because myrrh so often goes straight to soap on me, but this actually keeping true to the scent. And boy am I glad it does!

In the imp it's sweet resins. Nothing that my uneducated nose can specifically identify, but it is lovely. When I put it on it really does shine. I absolutely get the honey comparisons, because it's so golden sweet. If this is what myrrh is supposed to smell like, I'm missing out. Anubis as a whole is rich and smooth. It feels ancient, but in the best way possible. I don't get any herbs with it the way I usually interpret herbs, just a rich golden scent that doesn't slap you into noticing it but rather calmly walks into the room and everyone notices anyway.

It feels kind of like it could be a really nice standard scent for someone, because it isn't obtrusive. It's not something I would personally reach for often, but I'm glad i have it because it is a nice change of pace from a lot of my other scents.

I was going to say "amber bomb," but this...has no amber? It smells exactly like amber gone rogue does on me, although slightly more pleasant. It's like amber bomb sugar cookies. Totally not for me, but I'd love to smell it on someone it agrees with.

I was really hoping I'd like this, but all it smells like on me is sweet. Before I re-read the ingredients, I thought for sure it would have honey in it, since honey amps horribly on me. I also thought it would be more "masculine," but all I get is sweet and maybe a little herbal. Not for me :(

Hm. I'm getting honey too... That, and REALLY strong embalming herbs. Bleh. Very loud on me, and it smells like nasty soap or what a clinic of sorts would smell like... Maybe I'm too harsh, but it's not for me. :P

In the imp: Honeyed herbs over some light resins. I had expected this to be a lot heavier due to the myrrh.

Wet: At first, this is all honeyed herbs on me. After a few minutes, the resins emerge, but they are not the stars of the show.

Dry: The honeyed herb notes still reign. The resins are stronger during this phase of the scent, but the myrrh has not managed to take over. I think I'm getting the embalming herbs and the storax the most. It's sweeter than before and dare I say floral with the resins behind the honeyed herb-y floral sweetness.

Verdict: I thought this would be resin-heavy, but it wasn't like that on me at all! The unexpected sweetness was a nice surprise for me. The scent is nice, but it is not something that I can see myself reaching for.

I'm beginning to think I don't know what resins smell like. This smelled much better in the imp than on me. Lightly sweet, slightly herby, with a hint of white floral. I don't know if it's the myrrh or the herbs that end going floral on me. It ends up smelling like generic, store-brand, old lady perfume.

Thick, sweet incense on the wand. Green herbal edges, with a green, sharp coolness of an evergreen or something. On my skin this thins out considerably, no longer thick and sweet but translucent and floral, almost soapy. Pleasant, but not where I thought this would go.

Wet: Sweet, herbal, and resinous. I'm wondering what the "embalming herbs" smell like, but I think they're the strongest component currently.

Dry: Still strongly herbal. Not terrible, but not for me.

In the imp: Myrrh, balsam, and herbs.

On my skin:

Wet, the myrrh is predominant though the herbs are still very noticeable. As it dries, the myrrh becomes even more dominant, controlling pretty much all of the scent's throw. The balsam is actually what's most detectable closest to my skin now. The embalming herbs haven't absented themselves entirely, but they're very much in the background, at least for the moment. Twenty minutes later, and the myrrh almost completely dominates with resinous sweetness. 

An hour after that, it's still all myrrh. 

I like myrrh, but I'm not sure I need a Myrrh SN perfume. 

On me, Anubis is perfumey and very herbal (closer to The Apothecary or the dandelion note in The Hare than to something like Bast) in a way that constantly threatens to go soapy but never quite does. I wonder if some of the green note might be papyrus as it reminds me somewhat of bamboo. Anubis is fairly strong and long lasting on me, which is nice, but it's not really working with my skin chemistry and doesn't jive with my conception of the god of the Egyptian underworld, which I don't imagine having dandelions.  I'm super glad I got to try it, but I'll be passing it on.  

Syrupy herbs and resins - green but in a very warm + cozy way. I think I smell sugarcane, partly because I can't imagine what else would make this so gooey!

Kinda smells soapy to me... Soapy but herbal at the same time. It's very clean. I smell like a freshly embalmed Egyptian mummy! 

I have been intrigued by anubis but never pursued it, so i was pleased when i got a frimp of this in a package. In the vial it's a sweetish incense. The myrrh is def jumping out. On the skin the myrrh is still like whoa, and then there's like a subtle shift as everything settles and suddenly i smell... bananas!!! This reminds me of al-azif! I'll have to death match them, it's not exact. Azif is def a little darker, whereas anubis is like a lighter, sweeter, vanillic bananas. Dries to powdery resinous myrrh. V lovely 😍 

I got an imp directly from the lab, so either this is mislabeled or my skin chemistry is wonky. I am guessing it's the latter. 

I was expecting lovely myrrh mixed with something green and herbal. This was none of those things.

Wet, I get coconut. Sweet coconut - what?

Soon, I get the scent of gardenia and ylang ylang with coconut backing it up. It's lush and summery. It stays this way for hours, but throw is almost nonexistent. The final stage is chocolatey amber. Amber isn't listed, so I suppose it could be the myrrh mixing with some honey since I didn't really smell any myrrh at any stage. I have other florals like this, and I am not fond of coconut. I have so many spicy and resinous oils, that I was looking for something more herbal to get out of my comfort zone and change things up. This doesn't provide that for me. It's a beautiful fragrance, however. If you have the skin chemistry to pull out the balsam and herbs from this, I envy you. 

5 out of 5 stars. Lovely, just not what I was looking for.

I got this as a frimp from the lab, and I'm not super familiar with most of the notes so I probably wouldn't have picked this up otherwise. I think the myrrh in this almost smells like ambergris to me? It has an aquatic vibe that I like but is borderline soapy. The balsam gives it a bit of a woodsy edge. Something is giving it a sweetness, which is probably the storax? It's not really incense-y to me, but it is nice. It's a clean aquatic/woods perfume. Not what I expected at all but I like it!

Oh my lord, this is beautiful. I can't really pick out any notes, seeing as I don't know what anything in this smells like on its own, but combined together, it's such a gorgeous golden glowing incense scent. Really reminds me of the buddhist shrine we had in my village growing up. I didn't expect to love this so much at all. Wow, I will have to get a big bottle for sure.

~~frimp review~~

pretty delightful. I can't really pick anything out, but this smells like basalm and a bit herbaly, as well as slowly becoming smokier over time. definitely very fitting of a description. I wouldn't normally have picked this out but, like most other frimps, is a delight to smell. I do tend to like blends with myrrh in them anyways. I really don't know what else to say, I'm at a loss for words describing this scent other than it smells regal and a bit complex for such few notes

now dried, it's kind of still the same. it's a bit overwhelming to my nose now though. still smoky/incensey, slightly herbally fitting the description. like I said, this one's kind of hard to describe but it seems like it's more than than sum of it's parts.

After an initial pleasant burst of herbs, it starts to smell almost rotten, sadly. Like cut flowers that have been left in the same water too long. But I think layering could save it, and perhaps ageing will help.