Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

The Great Brocade Addressee

Honeyed cream, immortelle, orris root, French lavender, and amber incense.

In The Bottle: The beautiful strangeness that is immortelle is front and center at first sniff. I can't really pick up on anything else because of the strength of that one note.

Wet On Skin: As soon as the oil begins to warm on my skin, the honeyed cream comes right to the surface. It's surprisingly different from the honey notes in "O" or the beeswax note in The Mystery of the Giant Testicle. This honey has a bit of grit, which keeps it from being sugary or too smooth.

Dry Down: Wow, this is really pretty. The immortelle keeps this from being too foodie and the honeyed cream prevents this from being a floral. The two parts (the only 2 I get, that can obviously change with aging but this is where it's at for me right now) balance each other really well, making it not just a gorgeous early-springtime scent but making it accessible for folks that normally don't care for gourmand scents AND folks who normally steer clear of florals.  Just lovely!

Honeyed cream, immortelle (which smells sort of leafy), and touches of amber incense. This is a floral-foodie mashup without being too much of either. It's like if O grew up, threw on a lovely silk kimono and was sunbathing outside in an enclosed garden. Decadent, sophisticated, lovely.  Medium throw and wear length.

Definitely different, but unfortunately, this goes musty on my skin in a way I don't care for.  The smell does have the nuance of heavy fabric, but it's one that's been sitting in a trunk for a while.  Still, it's an interesting scent experience.  In some ways, this reminds me of the Sacred Talisman bath oil, (perhaps the iris and honey?) but that fragrance worked out better for me.  I'm guessing the immortelle is what's most prominent here b/c I'm not recognizing the main note and I don't get a definite sense of the notes I'm familiar with. 

Powdery, herbal, vaguely sweet, verging on lightly minty.  This in no way smells foodie/gourmand on my skin.  Interesting, but not for me.  

Edited by VetchVesper

I will have to try this again, without having just used a body scrub. I didn’t think about it prior to trying, and I smell like grapes! 

Edited by Madame Mew

This one reminds me of O, it's the same honey and amber.  My husband just said I smelled really good, and he doesn't say that often.  I have a super aged partial 10 ml of O, so don't need any more, but I bet this one will age magnificently.  I'll keep an eye out for more decants, as this one is growing on me.

eta:  There is a bit of a dusty incense that is quite a bit like Flowering Chrysanthemums, which definitely makes this blend more Luper-y than O.  So O and FC pretty much.  OK, everything is coming back to me.  This is very similar to Chrysanthemum Moon, too, as it dries down, but I no longer own a bottle to compare.  Nice!

Edited by milo

at first i get honey and immortelle with a tiny hint of lavender way in the background. the amber incense comes forth after about 10 minutes and it's mostly honey, incense and a hint of immortelle. this reminds me a lot of some of l'occitane's discontinued honey scents, which were favorites of mine. definitely a bottle (or more) purchase for me. 

Immortelle and creamed honey right off, then mellows to a jessamine/honeysuckle-like scented brocade cloth. Accurate, if you've huffed brocades, like I have.

Drydown: smooth...Its a white golden chypre. Classy. Tart and sweet from immortelle. Feels like white + yellow rose blends but brighter. Makes my mouth water similar to citrus blends!

In the decant, the immortelle and the honey are the notes that stand out to me.

That ends up being the case on my skin as well. This is immortelle and strong (and high-pitched), pale honey for the longest time. I do end up getting the cream with the honey, but there's far more honey than cream on me. After a while, the orris joins the party, and it becomes really powdery on me, as orris is wont to do. So it ends up being honeyed floral powder.

I was hoping for more lavender and amber from this, but alas, my skin chemistry didn't really let those notes shine.