Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Le Carrousel de Montmartre Paris

Spinning merrily at the foot of Sacré-Cœur, this is one of twenty permanent carousels scattered around Paris. Just down the road, Lilith watched street hustlers play Three-Card Monte and ply the old gold ring scam.

A swirl of color against a rainy backdrop: golden amber and blackberry oudh with pineapple, tobacco absolute, cinnamon leaf, bay, sweet vetiver, and red apple pulp.

This is a whirlwind of a blend. I got red apple, blackberry, with touches of tobacco and amber. And as it dries, I got a whiff of cinnamon and bay, and smoky vetiver. This is like the ups and downs of a carousel. Golden, wonderful, and a delight. I think I need a bottle.

Montmartre is my favorite neighborhood in Paris. I love its dirty charm, its beautiful scoundrels, the back breaking hills and yes, that damn carousel. Even if this scent was nothing more than street sweat and filthy poop in a bottle, I'd have to have it in my collection.

LUCKILY! -- it is actually a rather lovely scent that nicely encapsulates all the feels that I have for my beloved neighborhood in my beloved second home. Fruity tobacco with a little kick of spice at dry down, this is a great bottled story of the exact kind of are Montmartre is in all its sleazy, sacred, endearing glory. ❤️ 

Ordered : TPP Decant Circle

Imp:Uh. Fruity amber? Kind of heady fruit

Skin: FRUIT. Pops out strong from a muddy background. Give it a beat and the apple billows out. It smells almost autumnal, which I didn't expect. Kind of comes across like fresh fallen leaves? Not dead and crunchy, just dropped with dew or rain on them. 

Dry: This is lovely. Gentle apple with a really well blended background. This one is hard for me to dissect notes from ; it's just right. Gentle, golden, deep. Relaxing. That autumnal quality hangs around. It starts to go a tad faint on me, but becomes a sort of pleasant background scent. Would be a great daily scent to wear to work around more sensitive coworkers I think.

(edit) LATE drydown - morphs to a more musty perfume scent, which I believe is all amber. That part is not my fav, so it will not be getting a spot on my shelf after all.

Verdict: Take a nice long look at the source picture - This scent is perfect for it. Light hearted, joyful, happy, fruity - With a rainy autumn backdrop (well I'm in the midwest - that's MY autumn in the background lol).

Shelf Location: This would get plopped somewhere between Sugar Plum Fairy v3 and Samhain in my collection.

Edited by Aveya

The scent really changed over time for me. It started pretty fruity, mostly pineapple. After it dried, it got an airy note to it, like one is downwind of someone else cutting a pineapple and caught a good whiff. Then, after a while, the amber starts to come out. And the amber becomes stronger until it rivals the fruit in the scent. I never get tobacco (about which I'm personally pleased) and I couldn't tell that there was vetiver or cinnamon leaf in it, so I wonder if they are adding to the amber. Overall, very interesting smell. I'm glad I have a decant, but the amber ends up being too strong for my personal tastes to want a bottle.

I keep trying blackberry scents and they keep going to candy on me.  I wouldn't have tried this one, as the other fruit notes would have put me off, but I was given a decant by a magnificent forumite, and so I got to see if blackberry oudh would be an exception to the berry candy rule.  And nope.  Le Carrousel de Montmartre was all fruit candy on me.  Blackberry was strongest, with pineapple and apple along for the ride, and amber was present as well.  Like samanare I got hardly any vetiver (and the word "sweet" attached to vetiver is a strong attractant for me), tobacco or cinnamon.  Mainly fruit.  Fruity candy, that is.  Oh, well, I'm delighted I got to try it.

In the decant: Pineapple and apple pulp backed by some amber:

On me: Red apple pulp and pineapple are the strongest notes when this is freshly applied. Behind it, I smell the tobacco. It's a dank variety of tobacco, or maybe that's the result of the tobacco combining with the oudh. The blackberry oudh joins in. THEN MORE PINEAPPLE. Then apple. There's just a bit of cinnamon here, lingering in the background. But mostly, it's a dirty fruity scent, sometimes stronger on the pineapple, sometimes stronger on the red apple pulp. I get the 'rainy' part of the scent and a bit of amber behind the fruity notes after several hours of wear. I could not pick out the vetiver or bay leaf in this at all.

Verdict: Well, it was certainly a ride, but not something I would choose to smell like.