Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
VioletChaos

Low-Hanging Junk

Vanilla bourbon, fossilized amber resin, bitter almond, labdanum, and tobacco absolute.

In The Bottle: DAY-um! Almond, an edge of resin-y labdanum and vanilla bourbon. I am allllllll about this!

Wet On Skin: The amber resin is starting to come to the front as the oil warms on my skin. it's a great addition to the party. The almond is starting to hang back a little. I hope it doesn't disappear completely, it's a really good note in here.

Dry Down: The amber resin is acting slightly weird, shifting between being itself and becoming a wee bit pine-ish. The labdanum keeps it from becoming more than a hint though, and that's good, I don't do pine notes generally. I suspect the pine might *also* be the tobacco poking in at the end, and the two devilish notes combine to keep the amber and vanilla from reading as gourmand. The almond, alas, has left the building. My hope is that with age it'll return for a longer stint, but I can also layer it with Fortune Cookie to add a dollop of almond if need be. 

I predict this is going to be sought-after later on.

Labdanum and vanilla mix on my skin to come out as COLA. Yup, I get cola, amber and a brush of tobacco. But yes, this is a smoky cola. Good throw and wear length.

Wet: Yep, I agree with z_z. This is... cola. Not in the sense of it being "fizzy" at all, because it's not. It's just.. cola!

Dry: Flat cola!

Low-Hanging Junk smells like almond cola at first, because the labdanum in this that sweet, syrupy, cola-like variety. Only, there's no fizz, so it's like a flat cola. The almond ends up vacating the scene, as it so often does on me after the initial blast of it, and what I am left with is the labdanum with a touch of tobacco.

I also tried this on my boyfriend the other day, and it started off similarly on him (he loves almond), but it ended up being far less cola-like on him, because his skin chemistry was bringing out more of the tobacco.

Not bad, but I am starting to think I amp this labdanum note, as all of the blends that have featured it lately (Suffragium, Studie einer Ziege, and this) have all been like flat cola on me.

At first, almond.  The champagne note comes out and pretty much stomps all over everything.  It then goes flat, like other reviewers have noted.  I'm not fond of the lab's champagne note, and being that it's not even fizzy, this is a no go.

Wet: Huh. I see the fizzy thing everyone is mentioning..but its not bad..?  Its about the fizz and smell of that wizardy butterscotch cauldron soda. Mix that with amber incense and there ya have it. Mystical D&D gametime.

Dry: Bit of labdanum fizz still around but its good and just smelling more resiny than anything. The warmth of the amber and vanilla is amazing.  Tobacco finally came out bigtime. This scent is a lingerer! I agree this will be sought after later. Amber vanilla collectors will be on this.

Edited by SophieCedar

Wet, I immediately get a sweet (but not too-sweet) almond.

As it dries down, the tobacco and labdanum come out a bit -- at this stage I get whiffs tnat are reminiscent of clove and pine, with a cool, deep syrupy-spices note, and some astringency (which I normally equate to conifer notes). And the almond disappears completely.

On my skin, more dried, it's a very nice, even, skin-close, soft, sweet fragrance. I'm mostly reminded of root or birch beer (rather than cola like other reviews), with hints of powdery vanilla and something that is almost (but not quite) grain-like.

Unfortunately, I do keep getting a champagne-y type note, which typically gives me headaches. :( Hopefully, if applied lightly enough, I will still be able to wear it. :)

I put this on next to Native Gold as it instantly seemed so similar - this reads as cola + tobacco for me, with Native Gold being root beer + tobacco. Love.