Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Gordian Hairmop

Brian: “It’s something we always do when we’re on a trip, ever since she was really little. She complains constantly about how Beth brushes her hair, and I honestly enjoy the challenge of brushing her mop. It’s like that knot Alexander had to undo, except on my niece’s head, and I don’t have the option to cut it. Plus, her hair looks really nice when it’s done right.”

Lilith: “Every time we’re on a trip together, Unkie brushes my hair for me. I hate brushing my hair. Also cuz mom says I don’t do it thoroughly and I miss parts in the middle. I think there are pictures of him brushing my hair in every city we’ve ever been together. He brushes my hair way better than mom does.”

A warm scent, mahogany-dark: spiced teakwood, coffee bean, bourbon vetiver, styrax, tobacco, and oakmoss.

I get teak, coffee, styrax, tobacco and a whiff of oakmoss. This one is darker, fun, and sort of playful? If you have a favorite uncle, this is what it smells like - caring, fun, and a little high strung maybe? Good throw and wear length.

There's coffee and tobacco fighting for the top spot immediately. The teak starts to come into play as soon as the oil warms up on my skin and makes it surprisingly masculine. Honestly? I kind of imagine this is what Don Draper would smell like: a damn sexy man's man. Dark, alluring and up to no good.

I would NOT want my uncle to smell like this but I would absolutely be okay with a special friend smelling like this ;) 

Goes on all soft teak, with the coffee coming forward as it dries.  It smells like a restful/peaceful hotel room morning and I love it.  I only put it on my hair,  but sadly even that made my scalp tingle/burn in places.  Whhyyy must I be allergic to oakmoss?

A knot of hair with tender care.

I initially expected a more earthy and deep scent with this blend. I was rather surprised at what the end results were on my skin. 

After applying several times I continue to get the same results. The scent of chocolate tootsie rolls and a barbershop. There is a comforting nostalgic quality in this. I’m reminded of all the times when I was younger and I would sit at the barbershop. Seeing all the different scissors, combs, clippers, sanitation fluids. The 25 scent candy machines. The smooth floors freshly swept and the gentleman always laughing with customers. 

After several hours have passed, it starts to take on a more perfume-like scent. A subtle departure form what it started off as. The original elements are there but they become lessened. There but not as potent. 

This scent is by far one of the most unexpected ones I have worn to date. I consider it a more mature scent. This is a scent I’d wear to give the impression that I went to get a shave and a cut before stepping into work or maybe before going to a family function. 

With a moderate and large throw that is consistent, I’d call this a win of a scent. Not sure how often I’d wear it but still worth having for those special occasions.

I tried Gordian Hairmop because it's totally my kind of scent and because I have a Gordian hairmop of my own.  It is pretty close to what I expected, which is sweet, dark and lovely.  I get coffee first, and tobacco second, and then the teakwood, which goes kind of caramel on my skin.  I'm not sure I can identify styrax, and the oakmoss was kind of underneath holding it all together.  Gradually, the vetiver became more and more prominent, and in late drydown, after four or five hours, it was sweet dark vetiver, like the vetiver in Two Sheep and Two Goats, with whispers of coffee, woods and bourbon.  I enjoy unisex scents and didn't find this overly masculine at all.  It's beautiful.  

Wet: Sexy Tootsie Roll! That'll be the tobacco and coffee. There's a gritty edge to from the vetiver and mahogany. It's quite nice, even if foodier than I thought it would be at first. There's enough of an edge to it to be growly. 

Dry: The tobacco outlasts everything else; I am sure this is the french tobacco variety that's in Snaky Hair and others. It has that recognizable sweet fizzy cola smell. I normally stay away from that type, but here it's tempered enough by earthy woods and smoky vetiver. I like this. It's very dapper and put-together, a little sexy yet comfortable. Like Ron Swanson.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

Wet: Glorious French tobacco, with underpinnings of mahogany and teak.

Drydown: There is definite snarling here. It's hard to untangle individual notes, but it's rich dark woods and an almost effervescent fizziness. As it continues to dry, vetiver comes to the fore.

Dry: This is quite lovely. It is pleasantly unisex. No one note screams over any other. I wanted a little more lavender out of this, because lavender and vetiver together are swoonworthy. 

The teakwood, moss, and tobacco are the first notes to leap out at me when applied, but then the coffee bean quickly joins in. It adds a bit of creaminess to the scent even though it is just coffee bean as opposed to a milky coffee. The oakmoss increases in strength over time, as it is wont to do on me, and the vetiver joins in, so that after a few hours, it is a predominantly mossy scent infused with some grassy bourbon vetiver, as well as teakwood, tobacco, and a hint of coffee bean.

This is nicer than I expected it to be. I wish the coffee bean had stayed as strong as it had been initially, though. I probably wouldn't reach for this myself, but I think it would be great to smell on a guy. :) 

Edited by doomsday_disco