Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

The Hohenzollern Crypt

Beneath the Berlin Cathedral lies the Hohenzollern family crypt. It is the final resting place of many of those who shaped the history of Berlin, and is one of the most important dynastic burial sites in Europe, with roots reaching back through centuries.

The memory of an 18th-century perfume from the royal houses of the Holy Roman Empire drifting through marble-white walls: white bergamot, clementine, lime peel, grapefruit, blood orange, neroli, lavender, thyme, and tobacco.

This one is what I'd consider a traditional sort of perfume - it's mainly a citrus chypre (I get whiffs of lemon, orange) and sometimes I get something that reminds me to Jean Nate. I did really enjoy this perfume, and its very clean and gender neutral. Monster throw on me.

Wet: Lots of citrus mingling with lavender and thyme. Fresh and clean smelling, without any type of cleaner or soapy notes.

Dry: More lavender than the wet stage. This is mostly lavender (non-herbal), with a touch of citrus, and still maintains that fresh and clean quality from earlier. 

This is a good lavender scent to try for those who may be afraid of lavender, IMO. While it's the dominant scent, it's not a strong lavender scent.. if that makes sense.

Zingy at first. Freshly on, I get these notes in order: neroli, clementine and blood orange, grapefruit, lime, bergamot, lavender, thyme... and an itty bitty bit of tobacco adding an earthy, smoky nip at the bottom. This is fresh from the citrus, yet smudged with tobacco... the tobacco keeps this from smelling clean on me.

As it often does, the neroli amps and turns orange candy lollipops on me... but when I can ignore that, I dig this early stage. 

In drydown, though, it turns more musky and the tobacco dials up. It works itself into a citrus-thyme-tobacco perfumey perfume.

Ordered : TPP Decant Circle

Sniff: Dusty citrus

Skin: Sort of lackluster citrus

Dry: After about three hours this is really all just tobacco incense. I was really disappointed by how quickly the other bright notes just vanished on me. I love citrus and lavender! I was really hoping it would stay in that family. Instead I believe the tobacco took over, but was still tempered by the herbal notes and just kind of compromised inbetween. Which isn't winning for anyone.

Dud for me, I was so excited for this one too :(

love Santa Eularia des Riu, and to me this is like a more mature Santa Eularia. It definitely starts with a lot of citrus, but the lavender and tobacco temper it so that it's much less bright than Santa Eularia or other citrus-heavy blends. 

In the decant, I get the citrus (and the neroli in particular), lavender, thyme, and tobacco.

On me, the neroli and tobacco are the first notes that jump out at me, and there's more citrus behind them. This leans masculine on me and smells like a chypre, and it is reminding me of something, but I can't pinpoint what that something is. After a few hours, it's still tobacco dominant, and behind that, I can pick out the bergamot, but it's pretty hard for me to pick out the other notes.

I was worried about the neroli and thyme being problematic for me, but my skin seems to have run away with the tobacco. I was hoping for more lavender and citrus, but it is a nice chypre that I think would smell really good on a guy.

This smells like a 70s citrus chypre fragrance for men. This blend captures so well for me a particular style of fragrances for men that were popular in the mid to late 70s, the citrus chypre/ fougere ones but on the lighter side. I get a citrus notes mingling with the herbal ones on a bed of tobacco and lavender (i would have mistaken the latter notes for oakmoss and leather). Really outstanding!

I put Hohenzollern Crypt on yesterday because it was one of the imps in my car and I'd left the house unscented.  I must have tried it but never reviewed it.  It's very good.  Citrus (more orange-lime than grapefruit) and lavender at first, but lavender never lasts long on me; it resolves into a lovely citrus chypre with the tobacco grounding it (I often find this kind of scent too high-pitched).  Perfectly unisex, work appropriate, subtly sexy, reasonably long-lasting.  No throw on me but that's normal with my skin chemistry.  The scent it brought to mind for me was Auroraphobia so if you're hoarding that, this might be an easier-to-find alternative.