Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zankoku_zen

Swing Carousel

Brian: “I’m not afraid of heights, but I am reasonably afraid of landing, and I have what I feel is a legitimate concern about rickety old carnival rides. I kinda hate carnival rides, but I’ll do it for Lilith.”

Lilith: “Mom says this ride is called a Swing Carousel, but she also calls it a Barf Ride. She wouldn’t go on it, but my dad and my Unkie did. We went on it, and it’s pretty much where you’re sitting in a flying seat. When we were stopped, I couldn’t reach the ground with my feet. I love this ride. The swing is kinda like one of those baby things you have at the park, with the bar for the babies. It’s like those swings, but crazy and way up high. We ate cheesy hot dogs and got hot chocolate right next to the ride, too.”

Bright orange peel and osmanthus with polished cedar, rings of burnished amber, sweet incense, and gingerbread.

On wet, you get a big burst of orange, followed by amber and spice (hello gingerbread) and a touch of incense. This one sort of reminds me to Pallas Athene with the orange and the amber, but brighter and more playful. Good throw and wear length.

This reminds me a bit of Masquerade at first, with the lovely orange peel and something warm and sweet underneath it, right up front.  There's some sort of cologne vibe going on here though, and it is very prominent and discordant on me. The note takes over and this goes soapy.  Not at all what I was expecting, but probably a chemistry thing.  

There's a category of BPAL scents that I love, but am rubbish at describing, because there are lots of notes interacting in lots of ways. Some examples:  Kubla Khan, Scarecrow Turned Philosopher, Day of Skulls, The Dream is Big Enough for Everyone.  Swing Carousel is one of those blends.

I can't often wear citrus, but all the other notes got me so intrigued that I risked a decant.  I'm really glad I did, because I am thrilled by how warm & golden Swing Carousel smells. The interplay between amber, spice, orange & gingerbread  seems like it would go in a foody direction, but the cedar & incense keep it out of the pantry. Medium throw, medium wear length. Good on my skin & in a scent locket. I definitely need at least a partial bottle.

This is absolutely lovely - starts with the citrus from the orange peel, which is juicy and not bitter, very nice! What I love is that it's quite a substantial orange, I love citrus notes but of course they tend to fade quickly and have a sort of thin, high pitched quality. Not this!

The amber and incense come in to keep the orange company, and together the with the sweet gingerbread they turn this into a softly spiced, delicious scent. It doesn't remind me of baked goods at all, though, it's more a sun warmed spice shop hung with dried slices of orange. I adore it.

I’ve kept my decant of Swing Carousel since it was first released, hoping that some age would strengthen the scent on my skin. Sadly, it’s just as faint as I remember. 😕 

Upon application I get a burst or orange and osmanthus, they gently fade back and in the waft around me I can slightly detect some cedar and the orange is lingering around the edges. On my wrist I still smell a brush of floral. And then I can’t smell anything after 30 min. 
I really wanted that gingerbread to show! All of the notes sound delightful as a group.
I wonder if it’s my skin or my decant....