Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
joyfulgirl

Snow of the Gravestones at Petersfriedhof

Lilith at Petersfriedhof, the oldest cemetery in Salzburg. As the bells of Stift Sankt Peter tolled around us, we wandered through the graves and the catacombs that date back to Late Antiquity.

Benedictine incense drifting on a frost-chilled December breeze.

this is lovely.  the description is dead on.  it's an almost nag-champa type scent on the drydown for me...the frost-chilled breeze isn't sweet or creamy, it just lends an ethereal vibe to the incense.  low to medium throw on me.  very pretty - i may consider adding a bottle to my beloved incense blend collection.

Stony, and an almost oily nag champa. It starts off as cold stone, wind, and a whiff of oily smoke. Good throw and wear length. Definitely masculine on me. 

Warm, golden incense, olive oil, a hint of blown-out candle smoke, a touch of frost.

The incense smells like a frankincense-nag champa. There's an unlisted sort of olive oil part, and I get a little smokiness blending in. The frost is barely there for me.

An evocative scent, with something of the Hanerot Halalu mood. Lasts more than two hours on me.

In the bottle: incense-think a cross between resins and incense ashes.

On the skin: this is so pretty. I was expecting something a bit like the old Salon scent, Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, but this is a little different. Less snow, more incense. The first thing it reminds me of is Under the Mosquito Netting from the Shungas. It’s incense with something that reminds me of lemon. Though in here it smells a bit more like pine or even a snow note? It is subtle, a ‘breeze’ as the description states. The incense is dominant here, a soft smoke wafting from a church. I smell sandalwood or some kind of wood, as well as frankincense, but it’s not RESINS, rather it’s more like the wisps of smoke left behind after a service. In fact, it smells almost a bit more like Eastern incense (more like fragrant wood). Not nag champa per se, but something that burns in a stick rather than a censer. It also reminds me of the incense note used in Mystical Aphorisms of the Fortune Cookie, but without the cookie.

Over time this smells like hazy incense and…candle smoke! Yes! That’s what I get here, the scent of votives that have just burnt out. I love that smell, combined with incense it gives a very meditative fragrance. The cool icy note has toned down, so it’s like being inside the church rather than out in the cold. Then it switches back to a lightly frosty scent mingled with candle smoke and incense. It still has that lovely lemon-like note that adds something almost golden to the scent.

Verdict: like the Barrials, I too went to that graveyard in Salzburg as it was snowing. It was haunting, everything was quiet save the soft crunch of snow underfoot…and then the bells rang. This is a gorgeous scent picture of a beautiful, peaceful experience. It makes me feel calm just smelling it.

Backup: definitely.