Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VetchVesper

Crinoline and Lace

Cascades of vanilla cream and voluminous poufs of gleaming coconut with white cognac, adorning a phantasmagoric farthingale of white musk, tobacco leaf, tea roses, and elemi.

OOooo..... This is all floofy, froofy, fancy vanilla and coconut on me.  It reminds me a bit of the Pickle HG from a few years ago, but it's a little richer and more buttery at first.  Just a tad.  The tobacco is light and subtle, but I can detect a hint of it in the background.  I'm not getting much rose.  I think I smell the elemi, which I am only a little familiar with, so correct me if I'm wrong.  It's kind of a light, dry, chilly note.  It smells a bit ghostly.  

Crinoline & Lace smells very pale, very cool and airy,  with a distinct vanilla vibe that's sweet like the lightest of cakes.  This will be very fun for spring and summer.

In The Bottle: A very sheer, very light white musk with an equally sheer, very light vanilla. Nothing else yet!

Wet On Skin: The vanilla/musk combination reminds me ever-so-slightly of how that combo showed up in Pink Wig Spray which, to be sure, is one of my all-time favorites. It's not the *same* but it's definitely the same *family*, which is good enough for me!

Dry Down: No roses, no elemi and really, no coconut. On me, this is purely vanilla and light musk. It *also* reminds me a bit of OLLA Ava, and if you liked Ava or Pink Wig Spray, you should definitely check this out. Sweet, lovely and as the previous poster said, floofy - it's crinoline and lace in a bottle to be sure! ❤️ 

I am so glad that I didn't succeed in trying to resist this lace.

I am testing it after letting it rest for a day.

In the bottle, I can smell the vanilla cream, tea rose, cognac, and a touch of light tobacco.

Those are the notes I get on my skin as well, but the tea rose is stronger on me than it was in the bottle. (I'm beginning to think maybe I amp rose lately, but I don't mind, because I enjoy rose!) I am actually somewhat reminded of Pediophobia from the 2016 Yules, but without the porcelain and with a creamier vanilla and the addition of rose. This is warmer and pinker than that scent, but I'd put them in the same scent family. It takes about an hour for any coconut to emerge, but it never ends up being a main player on me. The vanilla cream becomes stronger over time, and after several hours of wear, it's mostly a billow-y vanilla cream musk with a touch of tea rose. :dance:

I adore sugary floral scents, and I am so happy to have this vanilla-heavy, rose-touched lace in my collection. :wub2:

Edited by doomsday_disco

Ok, I apologize this review is probably not in the right place but I am brand new to this website and couldn’t figure out where to write a first review. Anyway.... this is my first ever review (although I read reviews on there since 10 years ago!) and I am a beginner in describing scent, so please bear with me. I ordered Crinoline and Lace from Dark Delicacies and it’s one of the most interesting, youthful scents I’ve ever smelled. 

In the bottle it smells so delicious it reminds me of good toffee you can get at real fine shops in London. 

On my skin it loses the foodiness and it’s replaced by a kinda powdery (in a good way) innocent/clean, and vintage scent. Unique and pretty. Definitely worth having. 

Edited by Asal Nouri
Spelling

Vanilla musk, coconut, touch of cream, and tobacco. This one is for those vanilla and Antique Lace lovers. It's soft, vanilla, and with great throw and wear length.

Clean linen, expensive candy floss, and diamonds. Something about this reminds me of the discontinued Black Opal, but I don’t have anything quite like this in my collection.

It’s gorgeous.

Edited by Indigo78

Crinoline is SO SWEET.

To be honest I thought it would be too much for me, but I love it!

Wet, it is all sugar and vanilla, with the coconut and rose blending together behind it. I know it's not there, but I could swear I smelled marshmallow.

When dry, it goes a bit one-note on me - it is still incredibly sweet, and focuses mainly on the vanilla, but it is also airy and light, with a very few dry notes. The coconut and rose go very subtle, so much so, that I can barely smell them. But I don't even care, I love how it turns out! 

Like others have noted, Crinoline feels like a younger sister to Antique Lace to me as well. Comparing the two - they are in the same family, and smell very similar to boot, but Antique feels like a more mature, stoic, dry scent. Crinoline, on the other hand, feels cheerful, friendly, and poofy-sweet.

Kind of like comparing a sensible grey wool cardigan with an equally sensible pink cashmere cardigan. 😂

Antique Lace's marshmallow fluff folded in with cake batter, Zorya P's cool musk and pale flowers, a haughty backbone of cognac and elemi. I do not detect coconut or tobacco leaf (thankfully, for me) but can tell they're adding to the fragrance as a whole. When I first tested it, it had MORE of a high end perfume feel to me than either Antique Lace or Zorya P. However, after letting it rest for a day, for the first few hours it is pure sugary vanilla fluff, to a greater degree than even Antique Lace. The drydown retains the high end perfume feel. This is a beautiful scent. A future classic, and I'm so glad I snagged a bottle.

Edited by fenharel
typo

(Fun fact: I signed up for a decant circle.. then this came back in stock and I immediately grabbed a bottle. Self control? What's that?)

Wet: Sweet, musky vanilla and tobacco. 

Dry: This smells like a fluffy vanilla cloud. It's got a creamy vanilla note, but it's very.. light and "fluffy" smelling. I dunno. "Fluffy vanilla cloud" is probably my best description. :lol:

The rose never showed up here.

So, so good. If you like Zorya P and/or the original Antique Lace, I highly recommend trying to track down a bottle of this.

Source: Decant circle

Sniff: Cotton Vanilla Musk

Skin: Strangely familiar. Sweet cotton skin musk. I don't think I've tried many of the laces, most certainly not the classics. so I'm not sure what seems familiar here. Smells aged, heady, flippin' beautiful. Courtesan-esq. I get wafts of every note early on - except tobacco. I think since it's just the leaf it's blending in moreso with the rest of the notes.

Dry: So I have to be honest. This smelled SO MUCH like baby powder to me I actually did some googling on what it is, that Johnson & Johnson scented their talc powder with to make "baby powder". The predominant theory is apparently Vanilla and Rose. So... the fact that my brain keeps turning this into baby powder is likely NOT completely ridiculous. Noting that I haven't smelled baby powder proper for like 20 years, so... I feel old now.

Overall this is an absolutely divine, almost heady, deep, creamy-warm, vanilla-rose musk. It is the best scented talc on the planet :lol: . If I smelled this on someone I would think they smell sophisticated, and NOT old thankfully. It's not my cup of tea, which I suspected was possible thus just a decant. But I'm happy to have tried it and get my nose more familiar with the Lace's.

Verdict: Baby's first lace.

Clear, sheer vanilla.  It is very nice, but so close to Zorya Pulchonaya, that I can barely tell the difference.  This is a bit more 'fluffier', though and a tad more warm.  It fades faster than ZP too, which is a minus.  I wouldn't turn down more if it landed on my lap, but quite thankful that it is close enough to my beloved ZP that I don't have to hunt down any more. I would experiment by adding a warmer vanilla, such as Antique Lace to ZP to get more of a CL effect. Lovely scent, though, baby lace is a good description up thread.  I do get a definite baby powder vibe.

Edited by milo

this is very sheer and soft, i have to sort of inhale strongly in order to fully smell it. i definitely get vanilla cream starting off, and seconds later i get the cognac, white musk and tobacco. it reminds me *a lot* of another bpal i've tried but i don't remember which. the coconut and tea rose are  pretty subtle in this, just background notes. a very pretty, soft creamy scent, perfect for spring.

To me this is a very delicate 'pouf' scent, it makes me think of old fashioned powder rooms and powder poufs, but without the scent itself being super powdery. I'm having a hard time picking out particular notes but vanilla and a bit of creamy coconut. It sort of bright, clean, and creamy, with a  breath of floral.There is just the tiniest bit of powder on the edges of the scent, it's really nice and makes it sort of vintage but without the aldehydes. 

Edited by roseus

Oof. I resisted buying it when it came out because I have yet to find a Lace that completely works on me. Something about the cognac/tobacco I think. Just got to try it today and I keep getting whiffs of Antique Lace. Not the 2017 version, but the original holy grail version that I hoard like a dragon. Sniffing up close, it's not the same as AL, but the throw is definitely similar enough to scratch that itch. Now to hunt down more...

Edited by Wench457

My friend generously gifted me a bottle of this as a wedding gift. It's probably the Lace that's closest to OG Antique Lace, as noted above. The tea rose is the main floral I smell, especially on my rose-amping skin, making it feel like the lovechild of Antique Lace and Sybil. "Phantasmagoric" is a great descriptor for this - it really has the ghostly feel of OG Antique Lace - I think it's the coconut+musk+cream that's causing that.

I think OG AL, Sugared Lace, and this one are my top 3 favourite Lace scents now. This is beautiful.