Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

MISTLETOE

The plant of peace in Norse tradition. If enemies met in the forest and came upon a sprig, they laid down their arms and observed a truce until the next sunrise.

Yikes, am I the first to review Mistletoe? I'll keep it simple then...

Mistletoe: I love you. You are the perfect spicy green scent. A little bit of sweetness for the berries, with a little bit of sharpness for the poison.

I'm wearing Mistletoe today (Yule and all) and I have to admit the first minute or two were a little scary. I was afraid the sharpness was a little funky. But it disappears right away and turns into a lovely blend sharp and sweet. It's the PERFECT holiday scent. And it stays pretty true from first application on...which is why this review is so short. :P

This one is so weird, when I first heard about the limited editions, I had no idea what mistletoe would smell like, so I was quite hesitant about ordering it. But after the thought of a limited edition passing me by got to me, I caved in and ordered it.

Its smells very asexual, almost ozone. Its definitely green and cold as a scent but there's a mysterious note in there (which I assume is the mistletoe), which keeps the whole thing very appealing. There's definitely an edge of sharpness here in this blend but the closest match of all my perfumes and bpal is this is akin to CK1. Its got that freshness and mystery aura going on.

Its very lovely and my boyfriend actually really likes it on me (!!! *yay*). So I'll definitely be wearing this, this Christmas.

^^!

Very ozone/aquatic at first and then here comes this rampaging green almost piney scent, with a little cedariness thrown in. Man oh man is this all sharp and green and forest on me. Off to a new home you go!

This smells oh so green..very fresh...very festive. I have been using this on my lamp burner- and it has filled my house with holiday cheer. It smells of the outdoors-deep winter.... THRILLING!

First sniff:

Oh my God, it's Christmas in a bottle! I adore the smell of pine and this smells just like a fresh cut Christmas tree. There's nothing artificial about this one; this is pure, natural pine trapped in an itty bitty vial. Why didn't I order this?! This is exactly the kind of scent that I love! :D

Wet on skin:

As soon as this hits my skin it morphs into a dead on duplicate of the smell of fresh snow and pine needles. There's somethin crisp and watery about it on top of that wonderful pine scent...this is so beautiful, I'm kicking myself for not ordering a few bottles of this. :P

Dry down:

The snow scent has disappeared and I'm left with pure pine goodness again. I can't imagine a better Christmas scent than this. It's so me and so beautiful. I can see myself wearing this one all year-round. :D

The bottom line:

Gorgeous; utterly gorgeous. An instant favorite. I'm going to need a few bottles of this one, methinks. :D

I've got to agree with Penance on this one. Mistletoe is exactly like a fresh Christmas tree. This is the scent of Christmas to me. I've had a fake silver tree for about 5 years now, and I didn't realize how much I missed this scent.

Oh Mistletoe, how I love thee.

PineTASTIC! Yule-icious! (Sorry. I really am.)

Actually, not true tannin-ridden sappy pine, but Xmas tree city. Spruce?

The Hall is Decked. You can see the tiny white lights.

Can you wear an Xmas tree scent post Xmas? God, I hope so.

I want to pour this over my head.

EDITED July 2006: Oh. My. God. How could I leave this for one month of the year? I was trying to find a comfort scent, and everything seemed too sweet or heavy but this is EXACTLY what I needed.

Edited by SyringaVulgaris

Indeed, this is just like a Christmas tree, just as I imagined mistletoe would smell. Yankee Candle has a Mistletoe scent as well, and this bears a distinct similarity to that when wet. It's so green and Christmassy.

On my skin I get more of a forest scent. Still ots of pine, a bit of pinecone, and something approaching red berries (possibly holly berries). As the scent develops- wow, I smell like holly berries and pine. This is so nice and Christmassy. It's invoking a real red and green feeling for me.

I like fresh, green scents, and I like this. It would be a fabulous holiday room fragrance as well, and I'll probably use some as such, since I haven't got my own live tree.

Overall, the scent is intense at the outset but mellows nicely on the skin.

Oh, Yeah this is mistletoe. Its got that pine tree smell splashed with a bitter berry. It really smells like the Season. It comes on strong and it morfs into something sweet and spicey. Theres a hotness in this too. I can't say the scent lasts too long, It seems to fade after a couple hours. This one is a winner though and mixes oh so well with Ice Queen. :D

:P

This is my favorite of the Yule blends. It smells like all the best things from Christmas. I love the piney spicy scent of this oil! I worship at the Lab's feet for this oil blend.

THis is a VERY green scent. When I put it on it was pure pine and I wasn't too sure about it. After 45 minutes or so a sweetness has come through, the berries that others have been mentioning. It's really nice.

Mistletoe is sharply green, but not bitter. Wearing it, I feel clean and fresh, and very wintery.

There's a whiteness to this, too. Not laundry detergent whiteness, but something clear and brilliant. Mistletoe isn't a complex scent, and it is a bit piney, but I'd like to think this is what a sprig of mistletoe crushed in my hands would smell like. It's been too long since I've had real mistletoe to say for sure that it really is a single note of it, but my mind's eye (nose?) has no problem making that connection.

Long-lasting, and never overpowering, Mistletoe is one of my favorites of all the 2004 Yule LEs.

Pine tree in a bottle...interesting but a bit scary. I'm not a pine bough sorta girl you see. Of course I know better so I tried Mistletoe out today and am so very glad I did. Dead on pine forest scent but this is lighter than I anticipated. Crystal snows, light winds, evergreen boughs. This settles into a gentle undertone of pine and the faintest whisp of green and white flowers. delicate, not overpowering, fresh and clean but long lasting. Beautiful.

Oh my goodnes, I am absolutely going to cry. :P

..I was just opening this one up to smell it and it slipped out of my hand and I just lost more than half the bottle to the desk and carpet here at work.

This is sad because this is the first Green scent I've tried that I've actually liked! It totally smells like a deliscious christmas tree!

So what little I managed to soak up from the desk (most of it went to the carpet, alas) has replaced the bit of snake oil I stole from the bottle I have my mom for christmas in my locket. (along with some of the brown paint that came up with it.. holy wow, batman!)

Why, oh why couldn't you have been yuletide that went bye-bye?! *woes*

ETA: I'm working at my mom's Suncapsule place now and the woman who was just leaving asked if I was burning a pine candle because it smelled so good.. and she was about 10 feet away when she said that. *wry chuckle*

Edited by harlequin

I am sure after reading the previous reviews you don't need me to tell you that this is a perfect pine scent, a fresh, crisp Christmas tree in the snow kind of scent. What more can I add to that?

I've been getting my pine fix previously by unwrapped a Balsam Fir Yankee candle and rubbing the green-stained cellophone on my hands -- AHhhhhhh -- before lighting the candle. But this is much more pure than that. This is the scent of shopping for a fresh Christmas tree on a snowy December morning (not that I'd ever be up that early). This has the fresh snowy feeling of Skadi, but it's just nothing but pure evergreen.

It does fade very quickly on me and I don't have enough to keep putting it on...so until I can secure more (gimme gimme!!!) I will probably mostly be enjoying this one in the imp and dreaming of a day when it is re-released and I can stockpile it.

Jingle bells! Jingle bells! Jingle all the way!

Mmm! This smells exactly like my Christmas tree (which is a douglas fir)--I mean it smells JUST LIKE it. I've actually sniffed myself to figure out if I had picked up Mistletoe by mistake...turns out it was just our tree!

I really like this scent. Crisp, yet cozy. I do enjoy wearing this even though it makes my nose run a little.

Dear Clover sent this to me, and the stupid post office held it 'til post-Xmas. But you know what? This is a *fabulous* post-holiday scent! Clean and bracing, it's a walk in a fresh pine forest to clear your head after all the excess food/booze/materialism (much as I enjoyed all three! :D ) And is it just me, or is there a faint breath of white flowers similar to Snow White under all the greenery? Definitely a *snowy* forest here. Perfect all winter long, and if you hold the bottle over your head you just might get a kiss. :P

First Impression: Clean, green, bright and fresh.

Second Impression: This is more single note-ish than I thought it would be. I'm getting a very snowy pine forest, but not the same depth as I found in Skadi and Ice Queen. It is very appropriate for Christmas and winter in general. It's festive and happy. It's very similar to the Yankee Candle Mistletoe fragrance that's been in my tart burner all during the holidays.

Final Analysis: While I really like this scent in the bottle, I don't think it works for me as a perfume. I might have to let this one go.

Mistletoe

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree!

Dude. This is fantastic. It smells like a fresh Christmas tree just brought in from the cold. It smells green, fresh, a bit spicey, and all together GORGEOUS. I didn't initially order Mistletoe. It came back, taunting and haunting me, teasing me, all but DARING me to order it. I cannot be happier that I did. If you need to feel fresh? Wear Mistletoe. If you need to an invigorating scent to wake you up? Wear Mistletoe. If you need something positively radiating greeness-you NEED to wear Mistletoe. Also, for you layering junkies-it goes marvelously with Bath and Bodyworks' Juniper Breeze body cream. (I also ordered a White Christmas scent from MMU to wear with this, Skadi, and Ice Queen. We'll see how that works.)

Anyway, if you like the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree/pine, then Mistletoe is for you. If not, well, then probably not. LOL

Mistletoe is very piney, with a slight lemon note in the background. There's a period of Vick VapoRub as it's drying, but the longer it sits the more calm it becomes. It is growing on me, but it is burning my skin a little - not welting up or anything but there's a little burn. I'd like to try it as a room fragrance, too. It smells lovely in the bottle - piney and lemony and wet but not in a cleaning fluids way.

There seems to be some eucalyptus hiding in here, so I am going to wait 20 minutes to see if my dreaded eucalyptus-bitterness-and-despair smell comes out, and if it does, I'll update this to be a swap, but if it does NOT, this is a keeper.

OK, it's a keeper. It stays piney-lemon until the end (which was about an hour later, unfortunately, but it's great while it lasts!).

In the bottle: greenery- actually winter greenery. I do not get anything else. Just greens.

wet: hmmm Greenery- ever green is still the most prominent but I can smell a sweeter maybe berry undertone.

dry: the evergreen is a sharp, clean note I am really liking. The berry scent keeps it from being too sharp, there is a bit of spice in the background. I really like this scent.

Mistletoe is not complex on me, but it is beautiful. It's like a refreshing walk in a winter forest. It also reminds of a lot of when you first bring a Christmas tree into your house from the cold - it's that same strong evergreen scent, with a waft of cold air. It actually smells more like evergreen than my evergreen wreath does. :P I think I could even wear/smell it when I have a headache! On my skin, it fades and softens fairly quickly, but I still love it. I have it in my oil burner right now, and it's also a beautiful room scent, and it's nicer than on my skin because it stays true and lasts much longer. I only have an imp of this, but I am going to enjoy that imp!

Initial Sniff: Mmmmm... Christmas! Like Andra, I have Yankee Candle Mistletoe candle burning at my house. This smells like that candle. That is a good thing.

Wearing: This really doesn't develop much on my skin. It stays true to the bottle scent, then *poof* it is gone. I don't think this lasted an hour on me.

Final Impressions: Beautiful, but not as beautiful/complex as Skadi. That, combined with its lack of staying power, make this scent's future in my perfume box uncertain. I'm sure it would be lovely as a room scent, but that really seems a waste of an LE... I may have to share the love instead!

Brownbat graciously decanted an imp of this for me. :P

In the imp: Green and sharp.

Wet: Wow, this is almost medicinal on me. It's still green and very fresh. It definitely smells piney.

Drydown: Odd, the greenness of it fades. It leaves behind a vague snowy berry scent. It's very soft and clings to my skin.

Final thoughts: This doesn't seem to last very long on my skin. Either that or my skin just swallowed it whole. Two hours later, I'm practically jamming my nose into my arm, trying to get a whiff of it. However I'm very glad to have gotten the chance to try this. :D

I wanted to love this one. :P

I love pine smells, but this did not work for me. It smelled wonderful in the bottle, and when I first put it on, but within minutes it was not wonderful. It became very sharp and acrid, losing it's wonderful piney goodness. I tried it on my hubby and it smelled better on him, but he doesn't like pine, so off it went to be swapped, hopefully its new owner will love it.