Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet pipe tobacco, cherry wood, the warm, worn leather of an easy chair and a pleasant, subtle waft of fireplace smoke.

Initially, I totally get the association with cherries and tobacco. Thankfully, this dries down to a yummy, syrupy pancake scent. I like Hearth. I wouldn't want to own a bottle of it, but it would make a nice cool weather scent. :P

Buttery Perversion--or Grog/Hellcat plus tobacco. Butter with fragrant smoke behind it. Very strident. Then it goes more sweet (cherry?) and tobacco-y.

Eoywin is an angel. :P

Imp: Chery wood.

Wet: Cherry. My skin rocks the cherry cart something wild, because if there's cherry in it I'm all over it.

Drying down: Woodsy. Still cherry, but deep cherry. No marischino for me.

Impression: Too insanely heavy for this weather. I do like it. :D

Verdict: I will be hard pressed to give up my imp, but given its totally out of season, I may be able to be convinced. It'd have to be a darn good offer though.

Wow. Almonds? No…perhaps that’s the cherry wood. Does cherry wood smell like cherries?? Yikes, this one is…something. It makes me anxious. I can really smell the smoke and leather in this one, with a hint of sweetness. Again, not for me, but actually a very nice blend for someone who likes the more smoky, heavy scents.

When I first apply it, it is all cherry pipe smoke as the person who sold it to me described it as.

As it begins to dry, it gets more leathery and cherry starts to smell candied. I liked the original wet scent, the knock you down cherry pipe smoke smell and when the leather came out, it didn't bug me at all but the candied cherry smell kind of makes my head hurt when I smell it.

I can only describe it as having a metallic edge to the scent. Somehow the act of smelling it kind of makes me not feel good.

Sigh. So Hearth is a no go for me.

(garnered from prowling)Limited Edition, available in Nov 2004 for Yule

Wafted from the bottle: Vanilla and cherries? "What the hell is that?? French toast???"

First on: "Mercy sweet mother, I smell like french toast. Very rich, very decadent french toast. Great, now I'm hungry..." (Little Miss came poking her head in from the other room "Who's eating french toast and not sharing??") The cherry scent that I pick up from the wafting isn't very prominent on me. It's more of a rich, almost buttery scent that lingers all about me. I feel like I've been spending waaaay too much time at IHOP. [side note : on Little Miss, the cherry is ALL you smell for the first five or ten minutes, then it transforms into the "french toast" aroma]

One hour later: Still quite yummy, still french toasty but seeming to mellow some. The buttery scent has faded some, becoming lighter. It almost (but not quite) smells like warmed and buttered maple syrup. It hints of that. It's not what I expected (or hoped for) from this blend, but it's still warm and homey.

Two hours later: It's still mellowing and taking its sweet time about it too. See one hour notes, and turn down the "volume" some.

Few more hours: Ah. There's the cherry tobacco I was hoping for. Very mellow. Very subtle. Vaguely smoky with traces of warmed cherries with just a hint of vanilla. Very worth the several hours of smelling like french toast. [side note : it never really reached this stage with Little Miss that I am aware of]

Verdict: I love it. Little Miss loves it beyond words. The Mr. hates it. Oh well, I guess he'll have to learn to live with it. Little Miss begs for it. Not sure I'd get into a bidding war for it, but I have been snatching up reasonably priced imps (and a partial 5mL) of it when I can. I wouldn't be above begging for this one on behalf of Little Miss either. She loves it far more than I do, but I do love it. This one will most certainly be on the Lust List.

random notes: Tried this on one of those days when I was in and out. First stage was indoors, AC at roughly 73-75. Later I was outside in 90someodd degree temps. I think if I wore this one in higher temps it would burn off that french toast smell faster. The vanilla tainted cherry tobacco aroma towards the end would be a nice room scent, especially in the winter on days that I'm not baking.

I adore hearth, I think it'll take me a while to use my bottle, but I'll use every drop (then beg for more this yule!)

it's so deep and smoky. I get chocolate, cherries, leather (only a little) and pipe tobacco.

it's like sitting on the floor at my grandparent's house, they had a wood fire and my grandad smoked a pipe. I would sit on the floor playing, watching the flames and listening to the grownups talking till I fell asleep, hypnotised by the fire.

it's a warm, comforting smell, like a well worn blanket being tucked round your shoulders. :P

This is an amazing scent.

In the bottle it is all cherries - overwhelming, overpowering, cherries. Wet it smells like cherry pipe tobacco. When it dries, the leather comes out and helps to ground the cherry scent, and then this blend is beautiful. It eventually (after seven hours) morphed into the maple syrup type scent that other people have mentioned, which I didn't really care for.

It is also very strong - I put on a dab on each wrist and behind both ears, and could smell nothing but this oil for well over five hours.

Overall, I really liked this, although I will probably put it away until colder weather. I can just imagine lounging around in a big comfy sweater wearing this.

Hearth - In the bottle - Wet smooshed cherries soaking in fresh, raw honey. If a bee hive fell from a cherry tree, cracked open, and languished in the sun a day amongst the fallen cherries, it would smell like this. On application - Strong honey and fresh wet wood, with a slight green tang. Later - this is what my blankie smelled like on a saturday afternoon when I was 5, a few hours after a pancake breakfast. Yes, syrup-smothered cotton wrapped around clean warm child skin.

**EDIT; Over a month after trying this and dismissing it as too sweet, I was perusing the BPAL forum when a scent overcame me... though I was wearing no scent, and had nothing cooking (incense, wax tarts, OR food) anywhere in the house. I shortly recognized it as Hearth, and realized it was a haunting. I'm sure most of you know what I mean, the same thing happens to me with Lush's Candy Fluff and YSTWhip. When I'm being haunted is when I realize I'm in love. It isn't what it smells like in the bottle, it's what it smells like after an hour on my skin. Mmmmmm.... I'll buy every bottle I see! :P I'm even making wax tarts with it now.

Edited by aurore

I didn't order this at Yule because it didn't appeal to me. But then I sniffed Byrdie's (does that sound dirty?!) at the Seattle meet-up this weekend and fell in love.

On me, it's very sweet and cherryish. The smoke and leather notes remind me of Perversion. In fact, this smells like Perversion with sweet cherries added! Yum. It's very long lasting, too. This will be wonderful for cold winter nights.

Hearth

In the imp: almonds? That must be the cherry wood. It does smell quite cherry-ish and woody. Also reminds me of marzipan on Christmas cake.

Wet on skin: oh, this smells very almondy and amaretto like, with a hint of something dark and burning underneath.

Dry on skin: mmm. Now I can smell the smoke from the fireplace, and the pipe tobacco, and the leather! This really does smell like what it describes! It's a warm, rather cosy scent, very smoky, but luckily the tobacco doesn't have that repulsive cigarette smell, this must be a pipe with dry tobacco leaves burning. There's a woody sweetness there. I get wafts of fireplace smoke and a worn leather scent. It's surprisingly pleasant, and reminiscent of winter and Christmas-this is the fireplace and leather armchair where Santa himself rests with his pipe after a busy present delivering shift.

After a while: this sweetens a bit, it now reminds me of polished, smooth wood, like a wooden chair. It's a deep sweetness, very wooden. It also resembles maple syrup or treacle (molasses). The leather and tobacco are still there, I'm still taken aback by how genuine they smell here!

Verdict: this really smells exactly like what it describes-it really smells of leather and smoke, of tobacco and fireplace, with a hint of woody sweetness. It's a warm, comforting smell, it makes you feel cosy and would be perfect for winter. I was worried the tobacco would make me smell too much like a smoker, but this is the smell of dry tobacco leaves in a pipe, rather than a cigarette, which is a lot nicer. And the leather scent is really authentic as well. However, lovely as this scent might be, I wouldn't really wear it as perfume-it's a little too smoky for my idea of perfume, although it would be a perfect scent to warm me up on the coldest of winter days, and would be a nice room scent.

First Impression: Almonds.

Dries down to: Cherry pipe tobacco and a hint of smoke. I've no idea where the almonds came from initially, but they disappeared almost immediately. On second thought maybe it was the cherries - I never thought of maraschino cherries, but that's exactly what it was.

Additional Comments: I don't get any leather from this one but it is a nice comfort scent for me.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Ok - I didn't get leather or tabacco - I got syrup - maple syrup. Now that I know what it is supposed to smell like - it's kinda smoaky syrup. Either way - I very much did not like it.

In the imp: Cherries, sweet cherries.

On, wet: Oh my sweet jebus that's saccharine. I thought O and Dana O'Shee were sweet, but no, this is sweet. It's just a bit nauseating, it's all cherry syrup, like concentrated Cherry Coke.

10 minutes: It hasn't really faded or gotten any less sweet. I'll give it another twenty minutes, but if it doesn't get better (leather? smoke? hello? where are you?) I will have to scrub it off. *gag*

45 minutes: Off it comes. Good lord but that was awful. *nose wrinkle*

Whoa. Cherry pipe tobacco, leather and butter. Very comforting. A bit much for me to actively wear though. I think I prefer Perversion.

for people looking for a tobacco scent with great throw though, this is IT! i was wearing six scents when i tried this on, plus my nose was somewhat stuffed from being sick, and yet i could smell Hearth where ever i went.

i'm glad i prefer Perversion though. that way i can get it pretty easily! :P

n.

This one I wanted to love. Based on the description it sounded *right* up my alley,like something that I would want to smell like every day if possible. Sadly, on my skin it is HEAVY, dark, deep, cherry and cloyingly sweet--almost sufficatingly so. I didn't get any pipe tobacco, but it was more... hot candied cherries and chocolate, almost like they had been left to melt by the fire and burned a little. Noooo!! :P

I am very sad that this didn't work out, and am still very much on a quest for the pipe tobacco smell I crave (perversion and elegba don't have the tobacco note I'm looking for either). Guess I'll just have to keep on looking.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in one word: Surprising.

In the imp: Cherry? Almond? I can usually distingush between the two, but this one stumps me; either way, it's surprising. I'm guessing cherry, because of the "cherry wood" in the description?

On skin, wet: Very strong, dominating cherry/almond (I give up, I don't know!). This is really surprising. I don't get tobacco, smoke, leather or anything woody, just cherry/almond!

On skin, dry: After a while, this becomes a smoky cherry/almond, but still no sign of the leather or tobacco.

Conclusion: Surprising, and definitely not for me. This is all cherry/almond, and it's much too sweet for me.

Edited by Aredhel

Oh Hearth. [sighs happily]

This reminds me forcefully of my grandfather's house in the winter where he'd have a fire going and be smoking his pipe. It's one of those scents I'll put on when I need a comforting scent. Something that's not too girly, but not too masculine at the same time. Something that just makes me smile when I catch a whiff of it.

Wet it smells like cherries and smoke to me. A hint of tobacco and fire. Complex and lovely.

On my skin it becomes smoky and sweet and just lovely. It's got decent throw and lasts a long time. One of my coworkers who never notices what I'm wearing noticed this one and complimented it. Of course, it's because he smokes pipes himself so he recognized the scent, but I'll still take it as a compliment. :P

And this has been rereleased with a bit of a change. I can't wait to try the new Hearth!

Yay. I was excited to try this one so I can see how it compares to the new formulation of Hearth.

First on, does this have almond in it? I’m getting that weird boozy cherries smell that I usually get from almond. This smells almost like nighttime cherry cough syrup. These are not good cherries on me. After about 10 minutes I start smelling maple syrup. No leather or tobacco or anything in the description. Just buttery maple syrup.

3 hours later... still buttery maple syrup. I find it odd that I’m not smelling any leather or tobacco. I might smell a bit of woodsmoke, or I might just be imagining it. Hm.

I definitely don’t love this one. It’s sickeningly sweet and syrupy.

I hope that the 2005 version is better than this one was on my skin.

(2004 version) Hooray. The first BPAL cherry that I can actually wear. Every other one has gone instantly to cough syrup or throat lozenges on me, this one stays fruity and smells like actual dark cherries rather than cherry flavoring. With a warm smoky sweetness backing it up. I'm glad I agreed to swap for it before re-reading this review thread, because if I had, I'd have been scared off and missed out on something really nice.

In the vial, its very strong cherry. Not cherry cough syrup, but like sniffing a jar of marachino cherries.

On the skin, its still cherries, but with a little smokiness. Then the cherries soften and the tobacco comes out to play. The leather comes in too.

This is a very cozy scent and I absolutely adore it. I'm a little sad that the formulation was changed, but I did manage to snag a bottle of the 2004 version from a forum member.

Pure pipe tobacco. It's a comfortung scent, but not something I'd like to smell like. It's very warm and hugs you like a soft blanket. A perfect "memory" scent to remind you of childhhos by the fire. My dad smoked a pipe and this smells exactly like it.

I got a bottle of Hearth '04 from a lab ebay auction. all i can smell in this one is Maraschino Cherries and a warmth that could only be Butter. This just reeks of it. It's possibly the strongest bpal scent i've worn ever, it's just radiated off of me. It was a nice scent but it became so overwhelming as to make me nauseous. I think it'll be in the trading pile. Normally tabbacco has a bit of a vanilla-y scent to me, this wasn't that at all, no smoke or leather really either. very dissapointing.

A gimp from the generous, and crafty, SevenSins!

This is like a Hellfire cake with Herr Drosselmeyer cream cheese frosting on top!

There's that same strange fight/flight reaction I get with leather (like the bad boy you can't help but lust after, even though he's clearly Up to No Good), and a very foodie almond/cherry/vanilla tobacco thing going on.

I slathered a little too heavily and this is quite overwhelming! A little goes a l-o-n-g way with this, I'm wafting and throwing my cake all over the place.

Definitely a "when I'm in the mood" type scent that must be used sparingly. Woo.

In the imp my first whiff was much sweeter than the description led me to expect. It reminds me a bit of Port-au-Prince or even Hellcat, with a bit of a tangy zip too. Very yummy and nothing like its description.

Trying it out on my skin, it quickly transforms to something more familiar with its own notes, smokey and leathery and pipe tobacco-y. But the sweetness slips back in after a moment! I can’t decide if the sweetness makes it me, or the other notes make it too masculine. I think some of the sweetness is coming from the cherry wood, but it also smells like there’s some sort of spice in it. And wow! This thing grows some serious throw as it dries!

OK, I’ve made my mind up now, I LOVE it! :P *wails* Why did I have to go and get all these LE decants? I’m doomed!