Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
PurringPulsar

Hohensalzburg Fortress

An absolutely stunning view of the Baroque historical district from high atop the Festungsberg.

A shiver of iced chocolate and white amber.

In the bottle: yummy milk chocolate!

On the skin: ohhh! This is the perfect milk chocolate and amber. It’s like Gelt, but with a paler, cooler amber note. The white amber has a more perfumey smell (it’s the amber from 51), less vanilla-like than the golden Gelt amber, but it blends really nicely with that milk chocolate, which smells creamy and smooth like a Galaxy bar. It’s not icy like the Chocolate Slush smell, I don’t smell any obvious snow or frost notes here other than the slightly chilly amber note. The amber is almost skin musk-like to me, weirdly warm and cool at once. It almost reminds me of Bastet’s Amber by NAVA, but a bit stronger and more upfront on my skin. Chocolate and amber are in equilibrium for a while.

Over time it becomes a crystal shard of amber dusted with chocolate. Not too sweet. There’s a dry quality to the amber, in the way that white wine is dry (but it doesn’t smell like white wine.) Then the chocolate and amber seem to take it in turns as to which one is strongest.

Verdict: I think this might be my favourite chocolate-amber because the white amber note tempers the chocolate’s sweetness and makes it a sophisticated gourmand, rather than a purely foody scent. If you like Gelt or Chad, you must try this.

Backup: Very likely.

So I read on FB, and now here above, it should be similar to NA Bastet Amber. I think I get that comparison, they are really similar, just with cocoa. First Hohensalzburg reminds me of Gelt, but then the icy part takes control and that really feels like Bastet Amber.

It's funny living in Salzburg and wearing a perfume inspired by my home town 🥰😅

Chocolate chip cookies. I swear. This smells like chocolate chips, and to me the amber warms the chocolate up and I get with a chocolate chip cookie. Medium throw and wear length.

Milk chocolate and amber. At first, as it dries and for a bit after, I only get milk chocolate. As it wears, I get more and more amber. But the amber never becomes as strong as the chocolate, rather, something to add a more sophisticated element to this chocolate scent. I was hoping for something more sophisticated as the scent remains a pretty sweet, milk chocolate scent.

This has already gotten a lot of comparisons to Gelt, which is why I wanted to try it.

Where Gelt is very warm and has a cocoa-powder note, Hohensalzburg Fortress is cold and has a milk chocolate note. 

They are both elegantly simple blends of two very nuanced notes. 

Gelt feels bright and shiny to me, hereas Hohensalzburg Fortress feels muted and quiet - a bit stealthyfor those who are little wary of wearing a chocolate-dominant scent.

If Bliss and Schönperchten had a baby, Hohensalzburg Fortress would be it. It starts off with a creamy milk chocolate, backed by the white mint and white amber from Schönperchten. The mint is a tame variety that just adds a light coolness. The white amber increases in strength with wear and eventually becomes the dominant note, although the creamy chocolate hasn't disappeared.

I don't need a bottle of this because I already own a bottle Schönperchten and too many chocolate scents, but if I did not, I'd probably want more of it. I'll be hanging on to my decant, though, because this will pair really nicely with Peppermint Cocoa HG and Snow and White Musk HG. :)

ETA: I lied. I totally wound up with a bottle of this. :lol: 

Edited by doomsday_disco