Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
follis

Schiachperchten

The Brutal Ones: dark chocolate, black pepper, and green cardamom.

I purchased a bottle of this on the whim that I had all three ingredients in my pantry and loved the smell of them together, haha!

I tried it on both myself and my partner.

Bottle: Pepper, cardamon, hint of dark chocolate

Wet: Very black pepper and cardamom, but not really any dark chocolate that I can tell. I think this would make a good gender neutral scent.

Dry: The spices are no longer over-powering and it mellows out quite nicely. It also smells sweet, but I don't really get any chocolate on me.

Overall: Really quite like it once the spices mellow, but it's very strong initially. It seems to have a short life on me even after slathering it on, but spices tend to do this to me. A nice spice scent.

Update: I tried it again just after posting this and lo and behold I got chocolate! It must have been the splash I put on initially because it's quite balanced and lovely now.

On my partner:

He got dark chocolate and cardamom, less pepper. It dries down to a nutty, almond dark chocolate and fades into a lightly sweet, very faintly cardamom scent. He also really likes it!

In the decant: Dark chocolate and something almost minty, but a complementary mint -- like an Andes mint. 

On my skin:

Dark chocolate when it's wet, but as soon as it dries, pepper becomes the dominant note. However, left alone for a few minutes, the chocolate reemerges. It's definitely a dark chocolate -- almost bitter dark -- and spicy.

About fifteen minutes after the initial drydown, the scent on me is fairly balanced between dark chocolate and pepper. Slowly, the note that I think must be the green cardamom peeks out. In this blend, it's what's causing the suggestion of a creamy minty smell to me. It actually feels like the softest note in this blend to me, and it does a good job of bringing together the sharp pepper and the rich dark chocolate. 

And then, after about an hour -- and rather suddenly, all timelines considered -- this shifts to a nice cardamom with a solidly medium amount of throw. (When the chocolate note was present, it was a very skin-close scent on me.) I can believe that black pepper also graces the scent, but I can't prove it. 

I do like the final drydown quite a lot. I'm just not sure about the whole path it takes to get there. 

Dark chocolate and pepper. Very chocolately and very spicy, and then as it dries you get whiffs of cardamom. Nice. Medium throw and wear length.

In vial: Sweet, powdery, herbal/minty chocolate.

On me: Powdery, mildly sweet cocoa, peppered and herbal, with a grassy, minty topnote, without anything mentholated or sharp. I'd believe you if you told me this was a Thirteen--it has that same "complicated, herbal chocolate," if not as complex. (I'm probably comparing it most to 7.05 and  4.07 Thirteens.) The pepper brings a pleasant warmth. In one test, this went headachey on me; either way, it's potent stuff.

Verdict: Next time, google "green cardamon" in particular (spoiler: it's grassy and herbal! not the cardamon I was expecting.) This is pleasant but powdery, but I'm not big on mint. I would be interested to see it age; I wonder if the chocolate will go darker or the pepper stronger, if it'll become more "brutal."

I'm from Austria and Perchten are living folklore here. Schiach is an Austrian dialect word meaning ugly.

But Schiachperchen isn't ugly at all!!! 😘

In my vial the most prominent note I get is cardamom. Well I love chocolate, so I tested it bravely! 😅

I only get cardamom for a short time at application. It soon transforms into a foody scent! Chocolate desert and a hint of pepper and cardamom. And the kind of cardamom that is absolutely pleasant!
It's really pretty!

Also smelled it for several hours.

I wasn't sure what I remembered of cardamom but thought/hoped dark chocolate and black pepper would be enough to make this a win for me.

Instead, if I had not been smart enough to apply my last two remaining untried imps from the Yule load before my morning shower, this actually would have been a washoff on its own.

Got ZERO chocolate or pepper, only a strong powdery/plasticky scent that is really pervasive. I know this has come up in occasional other BPALs of yore (it's me, not you ... whatever my body chemistry is does not like this note AT ALL) but I guess I didn't associate it as cardamom.

My right arm smells kind of like one of those overloaded sachet, lotion and candle shelves in a knock-off big box store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls where they just throw everything together and it's way too sweet and fakey (I love those stores for stuff like oversized jewelry boxes where I can stash imps and bottles etc. but not for anything scented).

The Gingerbread and More Ginger is also surprisingly a no go ... MUCH more gingerBREAD cakey-face than ginger as I'd hoped (using SHUUUUUB, my favorite scent, as a ginger scale). It's not bad to smell ... I mean, it smells like gingerbread, I guess ... but it's not something I'd wear. 

I only ordered a few scents from the release and had two HUGE wins (Gelt and Red and Black Candy Canes), a keeper in Twelfth Lash, and other losses I expected not to work but wanted to try and it's win-win since I get to put these puppies in a box of awesome I'll be putting up for sale (with lots of BPAL and other OCYL goodies) after I get my Travels With Lilith haul, so my "doesn't work with my stupid body" is someone else's "Yes! I LOVE this!"

Mexican hot chocolate? The chocolate note is a little powdery, and similar to what I remember of Feast of the Greatly Revered Ones (which had some kind of cinnamon, which gave me a rash) -- in fact, this feels like a snowy version of Feast. I like it, although an imp is enough.

Opens with chocolate,  but this is mostly a green cardamom perfume, with barely a hint of pepper. Simple, but very pretty and easy to wear. 

Edited by Minh Scent

My experiences are very similar to both of follis's.  The first time I wore it, I got cardamom and a soft, nutty chocolate equally balanced.  The second time, I got a blast of cardamom and black pepper up front, no nuts, and a backing of bitter chocolate.  I agree that this is gender neutral, and sadly, I agree that it's short lived.  Otherwise, I'd be tempted to snag a bottle.  Perhaps with age the wear will increase?  Either way, Schiachperchten is an unusual spice blend that I shall enjoy wearing.

Right from the start, cardamom is the star of this perfume. The cardamom is not sweet, rather more fragrant and rounded. It has some zing from the pepper and some kind of "mintiness" or "frost" note (not the Snow White one). It's like a frosty cardamom chilly scent. A clean white spice scent, if i may say so.

I wasn't sure I really needed another spicy dark chocolate blend, so I didn't order a decant of Schiachperchten, but I was given one by an extremely kind forumite.  And of course I need another spicy dark chocolate blend.  Duh!  I wasn't familiar with the green cardamom note but it smells like cardamom to me.  I sometimes am anosmic to the lab's pepper note, but there is definitely a pepperiness here under a very dark chocolate, and the whole thing smells more complicated than just three notes.  It isn't super long lasting, but it is fun to wear while it lasts.