Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Our first night in Paris and a little jetlagged, we went out walking in the rain to search for a market because Lilith and I wanted bread and cheese. We found the Rue de Courcelles lit up and looking beautiful.  You’ve heard of the game Slug Bug? Well, this evening was also the beginning of our new favorite game: Peugeot Punch. It seemed like every other car was a Peugeot and damn, my arms were sore.

The Christmas lights of the 17th arrondissement glittering in the rain: white musk and ambergris sparkling violet and blue.

In bottle, smells wet, a bit rainy, tiny bit soapy.  This is how ambergris reads to me.  

Immediately on it takes a nice little swing into very soapy category, but that mellows out pretty quickly as a little bit of a brighter, sharper tone underneath shimmers.  This has a very metallic type of scent, I think of aluminum or a shiny stainless steel.  I have some flashbacks to Bed of Nails, in that it's a metallic, modern type of fresh scent.  I'm sure there's a some blue musk in here, since I get that kind of sweet, round background musk that recalls Blue Moon.  

I'm always looking out for violet scents, and that being in the description I jumped at it, but I'm not really getting anything floral-forward or violet petal, if it there it is very quiet.

This reads as a metallic rain, mixed with a kiss of blue musk.  Not bad, but I think the one bottle is good for me.

I really got lime violet aftershave. It was sort of gender neutral, going toward masculine. If you enjoy fougeres, seek this one out. Good throw, but medium wear length.

A warm, woody ambergris and smooth white musk. Ambergris smells a bit like sun-warmed driftwood to me. 

Underneath is...dare I say it? A jumble of notes that come very close to smelling like petrichor, like rain-washed streets, water-soaked concrete and stone. 

The rain gives it a fresh water quality, but the ambergris and musk makes it feel earthy and warm, like warm, fuzzy feeling. 

This is a wonderful way to capture the feeling of playing games in the rain.

Each of the Trading Post Lilith Winter scents I've tried have showcased one really spectacular ingredient, and I feel that this showcases a really nice ambergris. I was expecting something fruity or floral to represent the blue and violet, but nothing like that shows up - just ambergris, the ground, and white musk. 

I decided to try this one because it has ambergris in it and I felt like I should try at least one of the Paris-inspired scents (back before I knew there would be a ton more in the Winter Travelogue update)!

In the decant, I get a strong white musk and what I thought was a perfume-y purple and blue floral (more blue than purple). This is the type of white musk that's strong and kind of soapy, like the kind in Lurid, and not a softer, smoother variety like the kind in Snow and White Musk HG and Schönperchten.

On me, it's intense on that white musk note and whatever is representing the violet and blue. It's very high-pitched and sharp on me, and I thought it was a floral note, maybe a variety of iris since it is the flower of France and that can be a problematic note on me. But since this was so sharp on me, I can't discount Lycanthrope's mention of a metallic note, even though I didn't think of it while I was actually testing it. In any case, I got absolutely no violet from this, which tends to be sweet and powdery on me. Normally, ambergris takes a few hours to show up on me, but when it does, it is really lovely and steals the show. Alas, that was not the case here. The white musk and what I believe to be iris did allow it to take the center stage, and I could only smell a small trace of it in the background.

This one is just not for me.

Very aquatic! Likely a blue musk in here. The ambergris gives a little bit of beachy funk to that aquatic, which isn't bad, but then white musk shows up and turns it all to soap. There's also something a little weird in here to my nose that's a bit 'green'. I'm wondering if the 'violet' note in here is violet leaf? I definitely don't get anything actually floral.

Overall a pretty big dud on me, but I'm picky about my aquatics and anything too soapy gives me a headache.