Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Salzburg

20 degrees

We are waiting for the krampuslauf to begin.

Lilith wanted a photo of the three of us.

I love them them with all my heart and soul.

Lavender musk, a bit of Dorian, a smidge of Snake Oil, birchwood, leather, and snow.

Oh, Salzburg. You smell like snow, lavender, bits of Dorian and a whiff of birch and incense. Overall, I imagine this is what snowed on Barrial family members smells like. It's cheery, familiar, and definitely wintery. It's a very happy smell, and you can tell that this is a blend that was made with a heart full of joy based on memories full of joy. Medium throw, good wear length.

If you ever wanted to borrow someone's happy memories of a Christmas vacation, use this. It will put a smile on your face.

Salzburg Krampuslauf is beautiful, but you may need to be patient and give it a few hours before it really shines. It starts off heavy on the lavender musk and bright snow, but the bright snow (which may also contain white tea) and Dorian's white tea end up being really strong on me and don't let the other notes through for over an hour of wear. I know my skin is really bringing out the white tea, because it reminds me strongly of Paper Phoenix minus Antique Lace 2017's vanilla during that phase of the scent. Then the Snake Oil joins in and becomes stronger over time, so that after several hours, it's a mix of snowy Snake Oil, Dorian, and lavender musk with just a touch of birch and leather. The birch and leather are not main players on me, and I probably would not notice them at all if I didn't know to go looking for them. It is absolutely the scent of the Barrial family on winter vacation, and it feels even more Barrial-y to me with its lavender musk than No DNA Test Required with its Slime Queen.

I am glad that I leapt for a bottle, and I suspect that this one will only get better with age.

clean perfume with something kinda woody/fruity and lavender underneath that. Mostly clean. low throw

maaaaaaaaaaaybe kinda reminds me of snow in the woody/fruity part

Salzburg Krampuslauf was gorgeous on initial application -- bright and cheerful, like sunshine on snow, with more Dorian than Snake Oil on me, and a little wood and leather rounding it out.  I got a little throw from it too, more than I usually get.  Unfortunately, this is one of the non-Snow-White snow notes that doesn't work on my skin, and it goes soapy after about 45 minutes.  My sister really liked it though, so I may need to get her a bottle. 

Wet: Snowy, clean, bright. Lots of lavender. Tiny hints of Snake Oil and wood. Lovely. The snow note is somewhat minty. Very cold and fresh.

Dry: Dries down to mostly a snow scent on me (I am snow notes to high heaven) with just a touch of lavender. No Snake Oil or Dorian in the dry down because my skin makes the snow stomp all over the other notes. It's nice, but ends up smelling very similar to most of the other snowy scents I have.

First on: Lavender soap. Not the herbal lavender I like in my favorite sleep blends but the kind that I smell in men’s cologne sometimes.

Dry: Ohhhhh... this is good!!! Dry it’s managed to stay clean without being soap-y anymore. It’s as though Dorian and Jareth had a lavender baby. I can distinctly smell Dorian but the hint of leather is throwing my nose off and reminding me of Jareth. I’m not getting any Snake Oil from this but I think that will come with age. 

This would smell really lovely on my husband, but I’m not sharing. 

Verdict: Another wallet crying hit from the travelogue. 

Here's the review I should have posted ages ago!

This is quite a cologney smell to me, but in a way I really enjoy. I think that's why this seems on the masculine side.

In the bottle and wet, it's lavender men's cologne in the best way possible. It somewhere between sharp essential oils lavender and the hazy kind (and that'd be the musk part of lavender musk, and possibly the snow). The lavender becomes less sharply herbal when dry. Those leather and vanilla-y scents make for a really nice mix. Leather always goes quite soft on me, which really works here. It's really hard for me to pick the notes apart, but it's good! I'm really not sure what the snow note is meant to smell like, so maybe that's why it's difficult.

I've slowly used the decant when I've felt like wearing something deep but bright, confidence-inspiring, and non-feminine!

Salzburg Krampuslauf is a hit on me. 
As much as I love Dorian, it tends to be faint and fade quickly on me. Here it shines and lingers! 
I love the Lab’s snow note recently, and it’s mainly a masculine lavender version of that to begin with, then everything smooths over and it’s Dorian with a touch of musky wood. Not super strong *dreams*, but enough I kept getting delicious wafts as I went about my day. 
I agree with zankoku_zen, this scent conjours happy memories and a feeling of joy. 

I would totally upgrade to a bottle, given the chance. Maybe the leather will increase with more aging, too! :yum:

Edited by artisjok

This is a scent that I probably wouldn't wear on my own. No surprises there, since Snake Oil and Dorian don't work for me, or in most hybrid blends. What this smells like is when you're hanging out with beloved friends and one of them smells great, and they give you a hug and their perfume transfers to your hoodie, and so you have this really nice scent memory. Basically it feels like a hug from Beth. It was better described a few reviews up, that it's like getting to hang out with the Barrials on their winter vacation.

That said, I can't stop huffing my wrist, and wondering if maybe I DO want to smell like this. I'm hovering between "the decant will be enough" and "I absolutely must find more".

In the bottle: Sweet, powdery lavender and tea.

Wet: Lavender, oudh, tea. It reminds me of Snake Eyes Gleaming in Springtime's First Twilight, but not as funky.

Dry: It still smells oudh-like. It must be the leather. I'm also getting a hint of Chanel #5.

After a few minutes: Leather and floral muskiness, possibly some tea. It's a very sophisticated and pleasantly nuanced blend of aromas harmonizing very well together.

After first hour: Soft, resinous, leathery floral, with a hint of vanilla. Still getting the Snake Eyes Gleaming vibe.

After two and a half hours: Soft, powdery, honey-like floral.

After 5 hours: A faint, soft hint of resinous floral.

Final verdict: Very nice, I think this is a keeper.