Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
VioletChaos

Lycan Lace

A veneer of civility shredded, torn, and bloodied. Ragged, soil-stained sugar-spun vanilla, dragged through a thicket of thorny roses, tobacco, and black pine, hot with feral musk and incense, and spattered with viscera.

In The Bottle: Pretty much only the sugar-spun vanilla, reminiscent of the stained fabric in the always-glorious Black Lace. It definitely seems right at home amongst other Laces in that regard.

Wet On Skin: The thorny roses are starting to come out. I'm not a huge florals fan, I can be quite picky. At this stage, the sugary vanilla and roses are keeping each other in balance, even as they stay separate entities (which is to say, this is not the Sugared Rose note of the Carnivale's Hope.)

Dry Down: Through to this stage, it's mostly a dark, rosy, sugary vanilla, with just a touch of incense to ground it. I like it! I don't wear my small selection of florals often, but this sets to mind a certain kind of day, one that involves long, heavy velvet skirts, copious amounts of smeared red lipstick and listening to any album made by the Cure prior to 1990, all whilst walking about dejectedly on a gloomy winter (or autumnal) afternoon :werewolf: 

I bought both Dark Delicacies blends because I could not resist!

In the bottle Lycan Lace has too many notes to really discern them all. It kind of comes together in a spicy, incense-y blend.

Wet on the skin, this starts off with a spicy-sweet musk with some underlying florals. As it dries down, the florals begin to come out in earnest along with the woods; I'm not getting a true fresh rose, here, more of a dried vine. This flirts with the edge of potpourri but never quite goes that far, and the woods and musk really help ground it. This is quite sweet; as it continues to dry, the roses almost come off plummy and fruity with sweetness. The incense running throughout is reminiscent of the Carnival Diabolique incense that runs through that series--a very purple-smelling insence, if that makes any sense. While I tend to prefer dry scents, I don't think this one is oversweetened. 

Everything is just very blended. For folks looking for something that might seem closer to a conventional perfume but still with an edge, I think Lycan Lace will definitely please!

Edited by hazakaza

Oh. Just like that, a scent that I love as much as I loved Minotaur from eons ago. I didn't think that would ever happen. Wow. Wow. I'm in love with this concept and this scent.

Okay, so: it very much reminds me of a wolf. The warmth of it, the great outdoors feel of it, takes me back to working with these incredible animals. There's something in this perfume that hits exactly the feel of being around a canine who is very, very much not like your dog.

Notewise: I get musk and incense front and center, but every few whiffs I smell pine and a hint of tobacco, and it's all warmed up and rounded out by the vanilla. Now, I would never actually guess that there is vanilla in it; it's not prominent on me. But I've noticed this same "softening" in other blends with this vanilla.

After it warms up on my skin it's lighter--the rose, I think. But man, this still reminds me of the feel of warm wolf fur.

So gorgeous. I'm so glad I was able to snag a bottle.

Loooooove. On application it's a blast of dusty rose, in some ways reminiscent of the recent Encampment of Shepherds. After the initial rose blast, it settles into a delicious vanilla lace rose.  Teeny tiny bit of musk for me, but not much. It's mostly Sugared Rose Lace. I don't really detect the tobacco, but I can tell there's something spicy mixed in that keeps it from being cloying. I absolutely love it and am so glad I blind-bottled it.

Dusty rose, vanilla, and a touch of  pine. And then the drydown you morph into something sort furry, and definitely smells like spilled blood. Oddly enough, it's much more approachable on wet, and ends up much much more disturbing as it dries down. Like straight out of Clive Barker disturbing. It's like discovering your dog has rabies. Yeah. No Bueno. Medium throw and wear length.

My bottle arrived on Monday. During the first few days, I mainly got the rose, tobacco, and dirt from the bottle, and it was like a dirtied rose. But it darkened significantly over the next few days and the musk and incense notes really stood out to me. So maybe set it aside and retest it if it's not what you expected at first, because this one does change with some time to settle!

Lycan Lace was the most appealing to me of the two monster lace scents, due to the soil-stained sugar-spun vanilla lace in the description. It starts off being strong on the musk and incense on me, with the pine, tobacco, and rose being present as well, and the thorny rose note becoming more prominent with wear. I fortunately never get anything to represent the viscera, if you're worried about that note (or maybe I just lucked out :lol: ). After several hours, the incense, musk, and rose stand out to me the most, but the soil-stained vanilla lace has emerged by this point, adding a light sweetness in the background. There's no overt dirt note in this (woe!), but there is this vibe of something having been dragged through the dirt. This is a dark lace scent (the darkest that I've tried), and wolf-like for sure.

I am not sure how I feel about this one yet. I don't dislike it, but I am not sure if there's enough sweetness in here for me. I am going to let it age for a few months before deciding whether or not to hang on to my bottle. I definitely prefer it to Vampire Lace, though.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Ok guys.  Grab it while it's still there.  This is good stuff.  

I was pretty heart broken Vampire Lace sold out so quickly.  The notes in Lycan Lace are a bit iffy for my, but I decided to trust the lab.  I haven't smelled a bad lace yet.  This is no exception.  

It's much gentler than I expected, and extremely well blended.  The lace note is right up front with a soft backing of pine, rose, and tobacco that blend seamlessly.  Although I can tell they're each in there, they really come off as one note.  The rose isn't floral.  The pine is very understated, mostly just adding to a bit of dusty nose tingle feel, and the tobacco is soft, dry, and warm.  After it's been on a while, a dry earthiness comes out.  Again... dusty and VERY much like a pleasant spin on moldering cloth.  This isn't a wet, loamy earth note.  It's really kind of fascinating, and I could totally see THIS being the smell of a vampire - clad in old lace and fresh risen from his dusty tomb.  

EasygoingAlarmingIndianpalmsquirrel-smal

Ok... NOW the rose is becoming more pronounced and floral.  It's lovely, like desiccated petals.  I was worried this might be like Zombie, which I don't like, but it's not.  It's more like La Pierreuse got dried out as a bouquet and wrapped with old lace.  

I'm hoarding this.  LOVE :wwolf:

Edited by VetchVesper

Never owned a lace or monster scent so this is new territory.  I've got odd skin--I beam sugar scents out to ten feet away even when I can't smell it and vetiver smells like hot processed meat while it's on--so there's no telling where this is going.

Wet: Immediate scent was reminiscent of Skin So Soft.  Mom said "sort of."

Slightly dry: Dirty vanilla starts to creep out.

More dry: Dirt and roses.  Like Earth Phoenix and Pride had a baby...and some wild evergreen lurks on the edges.  I wish it would've stopped here.  It felt kind of wild.  Does the lab regularly make something like this?

Dry dry: Warm incense. I think this is what Black Temple Burlesque Troupe (cacao, musk, tobacco) would smell like on me if it wasn't murdered by the chocolate scent turning in to industrial strength baby powder.

Edited by DigitalCoyote
clarity

Oooof I love this!

I feel like it's like Antique Lace's way more badass sibling.

Wet, and on early application, it's the Lace base, with oddly green (celery-like?? 😞) notes. But when it dries, hoooo boy, is it awesome!

It's still very Lace-y, with a dark, dangerous quality. The tobacco is dry and warm, but is cooled down a bit by the dirt and pine notes. The rose is a nice 50/50 of fresh green rose and, y'know, ROSE-rose, so it blends with both the tobaco and pine very well.

I think it's the musk and incense that give it the dangerous quality, and I love it all! 😄

I may put this Lace in my top 3 or 4 faves~

This blend is a classic BPAL incense blend.  I'm getting a mishmash of greenery, floral and incense, but it really hasn't had time to come into it's own yet.  I really think it needs some age behind her, and it's not really 'wowing' me at this point.  A gentle, young wolf right now, that fades quickly on my skin.  I'll probably revisit in a few months.

Because I tend to amp rose, Lycan Lace is all feral roses-a rose forward, incensey tobacco with a whiff of pine, grounded by musk. If there's any patchouli in the 'soil stained' part, then that's there, too. The lace is barely discernible under it all, mellowing all the other sharp notes out. After a day of wear, the lace does come forward more.

This is lovely! I get an ethereal sweet vanilla right from the start, then it becomes reminiscent of some Japanese incense I have, so perhaps there's a little dry sandalwood involved (or maybe it's the tobacco?). A fizzy aspect comes out, more subdued than in Champagne Lace, but definitely related. The fizz takes on a hint of bitterness which I realize must be the rose but it's only ever a minor player for me. The fizzy note fades and the scent ends up being a dry elegant vanilla on my skin, lacking soil, pine, viscera or anything disturbing. I'm upgrading my decant to a bottle, first chance I get!

Partial decant as a swap frimp. I think this may have rested long enough (arrived yesterday, but the oil is not new), but if my impressions are way off, consider that I may just be impatient. 

In the decant: I like the phrasing of the vanilla note, because I'm definitely feeling a kind of "dirty" vanilla here. That said, I'm attributing that to a bit of musk rather than an actual dirt note. Rose and tobacco are also detectable. 

On my skin:

Wet, tobacco comes to the surface first. (Perhaps its reign will be short-lived.) As it dries, the throw becomes softer -- vanilla and musk more apparent -- while the close up is still tobacco and rose on me. Given more time to develop, it becomes even more tobacco-dominant on me, with just a subtle undercurrent of soft vanilla and musk. 

Eventually, rose also emerges to be a backer to the tobacco note, so it's now TOBACCO-ROSE-vanilla. 

Containing two notes my skin amps and one note my skin eats, this is probably not for me. 

VetchVesper's review on Lycan Lace pretty much sold me on this blend and I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of this on Ebay. I'm kind of shocked there were no other bidders, because holy smokes is this lovely. 

It starts off dusty rose and creamy vanilla paired with tobacco, very haunted and antique, but not overtly cologne or perfume-like. The drydown is dessicated and powdery rose with a soft tobacco/incense supporting it. I would not say it is a head shop incense in the slightest, much more like Eve or The Antikythera Mechanism in its ancientness, not resinous really, but just a nice powdery dry incense. Actually I highly recommend this if you are a fan of either of those two, or if you have tried Black Baccara Perfumes 1983 or Benefit Cosmetics Dr. Feelgood Mattifying Balm, they have a very similar scent profile. The dirt note grounds and darkens this without turning it too sharp. I thankfully don't really get the pine note. 

Overall this is a huge win and the way the powdery rose warms up on the skin with the incense, tobacco, and feral musk makes for a romantic and strangely comforting and snuggly skin scent, or if you are a sexy vampire flying down the freeway betching about Louis ("FOR CENTURIES!!") that is completely befitting, too. 

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

I bought my bottle of Lycan Lace from Dark Delicacies the minute after it went live. I have barely worn it since then, and never reviewed it either. I'm trying to wear a different BPAL every day this month, and pulling the ones I rarely wear. I'm so glad I grabbed this one today! Obviously this review is now based on my three year old aged bottle.

Musk! Red musk! This reminds me a lot of the way that Krampus smells on me! I have a lot of bottles of Krampus because it's a favorite, and I wear it a lot in the winter, so my memories are fresh. My skin always amps red musk, and this is no exception. Actually, I rarely love the Laces and this smells less like one of them than usual. I actually don't detect rose or pine. The notes have melded with age into a lovely, dark and sinister musky blend, feral indeed. I am in love with this lycan and will put it into heavier rotation! 

First on, this is surprisingly clean smelling, like the scent of clean, chilly skin, cold marble, and the way that pine smells on a misty, foggy day.  As it settles, those lovely top notes disappear and this takes on a powdery scent that makes me think of lightly vanilla scented talc dusting powder.  There's a darkness underneath the powder that reminds me of the musk in Satyr, but mostly this is just incredibly powdery on my skin.  I wish the clean, misty pine stuck around.  20 minutes into wear, this is all baby powder and dustiness on me.

So excited to finally have another lace in my collection, I was bit worried about this one since pine is a note that doesn't always work on me. 

In bottle: It smells hot and sweet, I kind of get a bloody vanilla vibe from it with a hint of pine 

Wet on skin: Mmmm...this is delicious. Soil stained vanilla/tobacco and rose with a stunning pine/red musk underneath, this is fucking gorgeous. 

Dry on skin (after about an hour): Oh this is absolutely stunning! Rose/tobacco rounded out with a dark incense musk/blood sugar-spun lace undertone. I wanted a perfume reminiscent of The Company of Wolves, the movie and short story both, and damn, I got it. 

All the better to eat you with. 

The girl burst out laughing, she knew she was nobody's meat.