Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ellocentipede

Chestnut Oudh Atmosphere Spray

Sweet candied chestnuts mingled with warm spiced oudh.

The oudh is very warm, sticky, and woody, and is sweetened by the candied chestnuts.  This is how I imagine the Addams family house would smell at Yuletide—dark, slightly festive.  This oudh is indolic like the oudh note in Bestla.

I just tried this last night, and I was very surprised at how strong the oudh was--I was expecting sweet nutty notes with a down-note of oudh; this comes out smelling almost sour it's so sharp.  A little goes a VERY long way it seems, and one should spritz it up into the air rather directly on sheets, etc...it calms down after a very sharp, strong start but WOW that first hit is a PUNCH...

I'm getting almost entirely oudh on this. I'm a little bummed because my favorite atmosphere scent was a roasted chestnut one and I get none of it here. For me though, unlike the previous review, it didn't come out too strong. It is a little warm, feels more like - freshly carved oudh furniture? Lol. Not really sure how to describe it. Not a bad scent but not what I was hoping for.

Roasting chestnuts is possibly my favorite smell in the entire world.  Marrons glaces smell pretty delicious too.  I loved last year's Eight Maids a Milking hair gloss with its chestnut milk.  So I was hoping this would be *CHESTNUT* and oudh, and instead it's the opposite.  Maybe aging will bring out the chestnuts more, but for now, this is all about the oudh, and I tend to enjoy oudh only when it's well in the background. 

Fresh, decant from a lovely forumite.

I was expecting a mild starchy, nutty scent from the chestnut, somewhat sweet; with some wood and resin, maybe a little floral character, from the oudh.

In the bottle, it was immediately evident that I wasn't even close.  It smelled very strong and very sour, even a bit acrid.  No sweetness at all.  There was an "off" tinge, like something just starting to go bad.  Phew.  When I googled oudh, words like "damp, rotting wood," "rot," "musty," "decay," and "mildewy" kept turning up, so it wasn't just me.

After about an hour after spraying it on my blankets and pillows, it started to grow on me a little.  Either the oudh lightened up or I got used to it. And there's a faint woodiness.  

After about 12 hours, and on the second day, the fragrance is much the same but the extreme sourness is gone, leaving only a whisper of something vaguely reminiscent of lemon. But still not at all sweet. The woodiness is more distinct, although subtle.  And I can finally tease out a hint of chestnut, the mild starchiness I expected.  But it blends smoothly into the background of the wood and overall scent and it isn't noticeable unless I really look for it.  This Atmospheric Spray is pleasant now, but it's never going to be one of my favorites.

It will be interesting to see what happens as it ages.  According to the Internet, oudh improves with age.

Predominant note:. Oudh

Character: Sour, unisex, non-foody

3 out of 6 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I recently received this and could not put my finger on the scent this reminded me of, yes oud, it's woody, funky, musky, with a underlining sweetness but it was more; then my husband sniffed and immediately said - the smell of a room post coitus in a small wooden home in the tropics.
He's right.
If you have had this experience and wish to recreate it sans the cost of plane tickets, here's your chance.