Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

Oisin

A legendary warrior bard from Irish lore and a renowned member of the Fianna. His saga is detailed in two of the four great Cycles of Celtic legend: the Fenian and Ossianic Cycles. A lyric, wistful blend of summertime Irish blossoms and herbs, glistening with vibrant white musk.

Thank you DragonGrl! :P :D

In the really awesome imp: Clean, yet musky.
Wet: Same
Drydown: Mmmmm, musk! :D And that's all it is, folks, musky musk but deliciously so.
Impression: It's uni-sexy in a way.
Verdict: I think I need a man to test this one out.

On me, Oisin smells like the masculine version of Unseelie. It's musky but powdery at the same time. It makes me feel like I'm wearing men's deodorant, but not in a good way. It's way too powdery, too manly, and even though I like musk, too musky. No blossoms, no herbs. I wish this worked!

WHY do these fresh/clean/outdoorsy/musky/meadows and flowers type scents never work on me?? I keep trying them, and none do. Woe is me. If only I could get my boyfriend to wear BPAL, I think this could be gorgeous on him. It's just far too masculine for me (and I'm not very girly-girl, either).

there's not much i can say that hasn't been said ... lightly floral, lightly musky, clean, beautiful...

i adore this scent. it's a great office scent, because it doesn't throw horribly far and it's sexy without being in your face about it.

this one is a very clean and musky type smell....it reminds me of a certain man's cologne that i cannot quite put my finger on but remember it from years ago :P

crisp and fresh..mmm

dear boyfriend and i will definately be sharing this one :D

it lasts rather well too......

all around pretty pleased with this scent :D

A friend gave me an imp of Oisin to try. This is a beautiful scent, the white musk really shines through the soft, green, fresh herbs. It doesn't have a lot of throw but lasts surprisingly long. I ended up giving it to my boy since it smells heavenly on him. I may go hunt down a full bottle of this. :P

I just received a bottle of this via the forums and once I sniffed it, I had to try it on.

To me, this is man-sex in a bottle. If my husband were to wear it, I would devour him (in a nice way).

Wet, it's sharp and clean, and I get the musk overlain by florals and herbs. As it dries down, it becomes much smokier and soften, though still some florals/herbs lending it a sharp, clean finish.

To me this muskiness is very, very masculine. I really like it, but I don't know that I would wear it. Especially since I think I would make myself horny all day sniffing it! :P

Too bad my husband is averse to scents. I am not kidding with this one ... yowza.

My Impression:

I believe this to be a clean musky neutral scent, neither too feminine nor too masculine...more of a neutral calming airy type scent. Lovely as it is, I like something with a little more umph or fire to it...On a scale of 1 to 5

my rating is: 2.5 straight down the middle. :P

Wet on my skin I get a very soft floral perfume over a white musk bottom.

This one is very sexy and a bit masculine. Elengant and with a good lasting power. I've found the perfect scent for my beau! :P

I find it so interesting that this smells masculine to almost everyone else - i must have some weird skin chemistry, because it's a beautifully soft, feminine scent on me!

One of Beth's musk bouquets turns wonderfully sweet on me, like a sugared, vanilla musk. That scent is in Dorian, it's in Ice Queen, and it's in Oisin.

In the bottle: At this point, it smells just like everyone else has been describing it - clean, and manly-rugged - after whiffing the bottle, a tiny part of me wants to go cut down a tree or something.

On: the clean, masculine cologne scent disappears quickly. Very, very quickly. Within five minutes, I smell like I'm wearing Dorian, but with a cleaner, slightly wilder edge to it. It's sweet, but not tooth-decayingly so, it's warm, and it's really, really sexy.

If this is what Beth's White Musk does, I might just be willing to fight to the death for a bottle. Wow.

Edited by Imbrium

Very clean smelling. Green and an airy type of musk. I can hardly smell it on me. I slathered it on but I still have to press my nose to my arm to pick up anything at all.

Sweet, fresh and clean. Truly unisex. I smell soft green herbs and mosses over light white musk. This is a bright, optimistic scent to my nose, outdoorsy without being overpoweringly earthy. It smells like a forest clearing after a rain. This is an excellent rainy-day scent for snuggling in with a big sweater and a book. I like this one quite a lot.

This is a nice masculine (but wearable for women) scent. The musk isn't quite a Queen of Diamonds light musk, but makes me think of what every men's aftershave wishes to be (or what the ideal men's aftershave would be). I think it's the herbs and and mosses that make the musk masculine. But it's not a "whoa" green scent. Just the ideal green-tinged men's aftershave. :P

preconceived notions: I'm not so into the Irish thing, nor am I that fond of musk... at least, not for myself. But the description was intriguing and I wondered how it tied into the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (the charity this scent was made for). So I saw an imp at lj_alchemylab, and decided to give it a shot.

in the bottle: utterly clear oil. The scent is spicy and green and extremely male.

wet: Is that lemon I smell? The musk continues to give this a really masculine feel. But this would be a very young man... one in his pre-teen to early teen years, just shading into puberty. This would be one of the first scents a boy would purchase on his own and over-wear at his first school dance. It's showy and yet bumblingly sincere, gangly and unsophisticated and yet charmingly direct. Mom might be driving this boy to and from his dates, but he is a creature of great romance already, at least in his own mind. A veritable Don Juan.

drydown: This scent stays sweet and true and strong for a long time. It completely is unsuitable for me, but I think a tomboy-type girl could make a lot of use out of it... and any young boy, gay or straight, who is smitten, will charm the socks off both his date and all of the adults around him with his earnest precociousness.

verdict: As I said, not for me.

post-conceived notion: I will send this off to Cryogenia, who I think should try at least one boyish scent since she's wanting to get into BPAL. ♥

Courtesy of the random LE swap circle.

Oh, beautiful. Clean and light, but slightly masculine. Soft musk, clean though. Airy. Despite its touch of masculinity, this certainly wouldn't be out of place on a woman. Work-safe, too, which is extra helpful in my case. Light and vaguely sweet. There are certainly herbs here, but that isn't where I'd place this at all. The musk doesn't scream musk at me either. Oisin just hangs in the air, lightly reminding you it's there.

I'm sorry I missed this one, but I won't be pining for it, because it's really not quite me other than in particular moods.

Light and musky, on first application. Also a little floral. It's not at all masculine to my nose, but more of a gender-neutral scent. The white musk is very clear, but the overall scent is faint, very airy. A really sensual sort of scent, I think, though I'd near to slather it on a bit more to really know for certain.

Over time, the musk warms nicely into the floral scent. It's very summery, reminiscent of a really green field, dotted with flowers. I can see where this would be very attractive on a cute boy.

A while later, the scent is refined to mostly sweetish musk. It's gorgeous.

I got this from the lovely Voleuse. :D I saw the description and just had to hunt down an Imp for the boy-- he's Irish and I looooove me some white musk and herbs. But I had to test it, didn't I? Shh! :D

In the vial: Holy... it's Dorian without the vanilla, sugar or tea! Oh my. This is... just wow. If I hunt there are some fresh green notes waaay in the back, but mostly it's that clean, sweet, incredibly sexy musk. If it stays like this I may have a hard time handing it over.

Wet: Very light, very sweet, very.... yum. A little more herbal and a teensy hint of floral, but mostly just that godly musk. My nose is buried in the crook of my elbow and it's damn well going to stay there. Airy and clean and a little sweet, but still a teensy bit masculine.... and absolutely perfect. Gods, if it smells on him like it does on me, I'm not going to be able to keep my hands off him. It doesn't strike me as at all perfumey; just exudes an aura of serenity and wilderness. If I hadn't just swiped a wand across my wrists, and I thought I could get away with it, I'd swear up and down this was my natural smell.

Dry: Like the sound of running water in a wood, or the note of a chime dropping into silence. Simple, deep, perfect for the concept... almost musical, in a way. This is beyond gorgeous: the woodsy, boyish counterpart to Dorian. I doubt the musk will go quite as sweet on the man this is intended for, but even if it doesn't... this is a masterpiece.

Oisin for him, Dorian for me, and I'm in white musk heaven. :P

[edit] I had to edit this one when I saw undergroundwoman's review. She's absolutely right. It's an Imp-full of HOT IRISH MAN, and if my HOT IRISH MAN is very, very lucky, he might even be able to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Edited by WidgetAlley

Ugh. Oisin turns horribly on my skin. It's definitely a very clean musk. The white musk ends up smelling way too perfumey on me though, reminiscent of cheap hairspray. There's a sort of herbal soapy scent in the background as well.

This isn't a horribly strong fragrance, but it's strong enough to give me a headache.

I think my review of this oil can best be summed up in the following three words:

HOT IRISH MAN

Is it bad that I sometimes sprinkle a bit on my pillowcase at bedtime? I ordered this last-minute and unsniffed when the Oblations went away, and I am very very grateful that I did. I am also grateful for being single and not having to share this... since I'm sure my hypothetical hunk of manflesh would very much like the results of him wearing it. I can only plead that this come back someday before I sniff my one lonely bottle to death.

Oisin

In the imp: my nose must be off kilter today because I’m getting liquorice from this!!! Light anise and musk.

Wet on skin: oh, this is nice. Fresh green herbs with a bit of musk and that odd anise note, which is nice in this.

Dry: I like this a lot! This is a very fresh, light, bright musk scent, herbal and quite masculine. I’m not sure what’s in this, what the herbs are in here…maybe the anise like note could be fennel? I also get the musk, it’s a lovely fresh and breezy musk scent, and I also get something mossy or forest like, or reminiscent of leaves? It smells like a moist forest floor, with something herbal, possibly ferny, to it. I don’t get much in the way of flowers here. I think I also get a tree sap note here, sticky and smoky. This scent is a complex and intriguing mixture, very outdoorsy. And very manly!

After a while: another scent that stays consistent. This smells like good quality aftershave-not the cheap chavvy stuff that most students wear. This is a sophisticated men’s perfume, but with a hint of something more natural to it. This still has that gorgeous musk, and that deep, sweet sap note.

Verdict: this is a delightful scent which I think would be even more delightful on a man…a fresh, herbal, clean musk scent, this is what aftershave should smell like-forget Lynx, this is what really good looking boys should wear if they want to get a shag from the girls! It’s a gorgeous combination of breezy white musk with a mixture of outdoors scents-from meadow herbs to ferns to leaves to mosses and tree sap and evergreen needles. I also get a note which reminds me of liquorice, I’m wondering if that’s fennel. The scent isn’t just all bright and light, it also has a depth that grounds it, a scent like a forest floor. It’s a lovely fragrance-very nice on me, but if I had a boyfriend, I think it would be much nicer on him…as I said, this is a manly scent, maybe too manly for me, but done in the best way possible.

I tried this at the Chicago Meet n Sniff and I am finally getting down to writing the review. Bad Mikey.

Wet on Skin: This is how the Boondock Saints ought to smell. Musky and masculine!

Drydown: Retract last statement this is how I SHOULD smell. Warm musk wafted over a gentle yet manly floral herby bouquet. Oh man I bet judas would tackle me if I wore this.

Verdict: I almost knocked Bard over the head with his huge BPAL Sarcophagus and took this scent. :P I would have but he can totally kick my ass so I just seethed with covet and envy. I must find this scent for sale or swap. I MUST!

In the bottle: Absolutely incredible! The musk, florals and herbs are really well-balanced in this one. This is really helping me recall the stories of Oisín: the hazelnut-eating salmon, the dogs, the deer, his men, and all of their adventures. It's truly a lovely MANscent.

On my skin: Delicious. I want to have a hot make-out session with myself sniffing at this stuff. The musk is somewhat overpowering the herbs and florals in this one, but hey, I love musk! It's all good. Mmmm...

Later on: Still wonderful. I'm glad I have enough of this to keep me sated for awhile.

I am so absolutely madly in love with this scent.

This was one of the imps that a friend sent to me as a lure into the madness. I was intrigued by the name (one of the musicians in one of my favorite bands is named Oisin :P If he was wearing this, I swear he'd never make it to the stage. chase.gif) and then the description just increased my interest. Since she had a bottle on the way to her, she sent me a partially full imp.

This is such a comforting scent to me... it's musky with some other sort of dry woodsy scent as well (which I'm assuming is the herbs). I'm not experienced enough yet to be able to pick out details (I'm still waiting for my first lab order) but I know that I absolutely love this and I have to find a way to get my hands on more of it.

My labelling in my spreedsheet: LOVE!!!

--M

Oh how sad. I told my husband he would have wanted this way back when it was an Oblation scent. And now...it is gone. And I am sad.

Anyway...got this in a swap (an imp, sniff, sniff.)

In the imp: Green, but a soft, deep green. Like the rolling hills of Ireland.

On: Oooh, light musk with sweet green herbs and moss. This is truly a lovely scent. There is just enough blossom to keep it from going totally masculine. Very unisex and lovely.

Dry: The musk has poked out his head, and it is a very light musk. Very skin-like. I imagine a pretty Irish lad smelling like this.

Overall: I am very sad I did not go with my gut and order a bottle of this while it was still available. Gorgeous. Really gorgeous.

I got a bottle of this for my fiance for Christmas-

It smells *so damn good* on him! --drool--

Spicey fresh and green. Damn sexy! I love it!