Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Daughter of Pan and Echo and dear friend to Demeter. When Demeter was mourning the abduction of her daughter, Iambe was the only creature in heaven and earth that was able to lend cheer and laughter to the grieving mother. Her scent is one of comfort, beauty and joy: Sudanese amber, patchouli, rose, gardenia, gladiola and white tea.

First waft : Ewe. Smells like someone tried to cover dog poo with flowers. The flower part is pretty but there's something nasty lurking below it.

First on : Ewe... vile, evil, nasty.

After 20 or so minutes : Oooooh, hey, that's not so bad after all. It's warming up a bit, still on the strong side and ewe don't sniff it too close.

An hour or so later : Heeeeey, this isn't so bad once it warms up nice and proper. Tea and vague hints of floral. Smells like a tea party on my arm.

verdict : I love this one when I'm out in 93+ degree temps with a heat index and humidity level that makes it feel much hotter. As long as I am hot and sweating and just... HOT... this one is beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't always be that hot. When I'm cold it smells wretched. It's a little sad because when I'm hot, it really is a beautiful scent. I just can't tolerate the smell of it when I'm not hot enough to make it blossom.

An extra imp in my package, I've tried this throughout the month just to be sure. With most patchouli blends, my chemistry tends to blow it up to the nth degree, completely overshadowing everything else throughout the entire time wearing it. Somehow, this blend is different; in the wet stage, it was exactly as I had feared, yet when drying, the gardenia managed to keep in step, softening the bitter/musty impression that patchouli leaves on me. Unfortunately, the floral did not totally balance it out and Iambe will join her fellow woody-noted friends in my swap pile.

Sweet and melony in the bottle I was surprised that the fruitiness died off on this and left a soft mellow amber and a touch of tea. Gorgeous and light, this becomes a touch floral with some Gardenia in it as it dries and while I like this, I think my mother will like it more so this may be one I pick up for her.

this must be said: I hate gardenia. I hate patchouli. Rose goes really soapy on me. I'm wary of amber and how it turns out on my skin.

So how, in the name of all Greek deities, does it work so well on me???

it had that fresh pear-like quality when it first hit my skin. as it develops, the fruit deepens. The sweetness stays the same, but there's this undertone of deep notes, like a dark velvet sheet on which a swet juicy pear/watermelon is layed, and flowers are scattered. The flowers come out too, and now it's more floral than fruity.

it's really a rich floral more than anything else, terrifically pleasant even though it has gardenia in it (gardenia and I are not good friends).

what is most apparent in it, though, is that it makes me want to giggle and sing. it's this grin that is tickling you on the inside until a smile comes out. I don't know why, maybe it's the psychosomatic effect of knowing that this blend is named after the only person who can uplift a grieving mother. Beth, how do you do it?

all in all, it's lovely. I can imagine wearing this lovely blend to a night of cuban salsa in Tel Aviv with the funniest salsa instructor in the country (he's a professional stand-up comedian!). This could associate with some great times.

Great job, Beth! :P

ETA: it lasted a long, long time on me.

I appied it at midnight, and it was still apparent on my skin at 9:30 AM. The only problem is the drydown which combines the qualities that I find less pleasant in each note. the patchouli and rose and gardenia (I think?) turned into some kind of a stale, slightly sour sweaty soap scent. however, It's worth it just for the first few hours where it makes you giggle. all in all, It's a keeper.

Edited by reina

In the imp, and directly upon application, this smelled weird to me. Like, dirty? Maybe it was the patchouli. Anyway, as it dried down I got a pleasant amber, tea and very light floral scent (the florals are kinda lurking in the background, but very faintly). Really pretty, but I think I'll just use up my imp and pass on the bottle - I have to wait a while for it to become pleasant on me.

First sniff: Happy scent! This smells fruity and earthy, though I know there’s no fruit listed. It’s very warm and rich, and I really like it.

Wearing: Ah, now it’s floral. A very light, sweet floral scent that goes sweeter and floral-er as it dries. I liked the vial scent quite a bit better – wish the amber and patchouli had stuck around.

In the vial: Fruity, honeyed, mouthwatering

On wrist,wet: pow, my mouth waters, im sure that’s not any kind of melon but it just smells like the taste of some kind of honeydew or fruit and sugary thing, a vine flower or lovely jam… my mouth just waters when I smell this… there is a lot of high light airyness as well as deep and succulent smells.

Drying: mmmm the high airy notes and deep scents are starting to merge and a faint smokiness (probably a dab of the patchouliness) bringing them together, just the faintest smokiness, mind you but combined with that deliciousness. Reading the description: oh yes, the tea, of course! I don’t get rose distinctly or patchouli and im not precisely sure I could identify the other notes as listed but they are all working just wonderfully, blending sublimely. Its a bit heavy yet but I smell sweet, honeyed, and lovely. It makes me feel good, like Im being hugged just as I would have needed it most.

We will see how this wears on as time fades it down further…

I think I will need to try this at a different time. Smelling it again, its just so juicy and overpowering to me, and even recalling the scent overwhelms me. It is really lovely but the day after my first review of this I put a teeny dot from the end of the imp wand behind my ear and just feeling it was too much, had to try to get it off immediately. I am PMSing so that probably has a lot to do with it. At this moment I feel like it would be a really good scent for a candle or a soap but not for my wrists (etc) ... however, the fact that its fall and I want food scents and not fruit scents as well as my hormonal balance leads me to believe this is just the scent for another season.

eta 9/13: I just ate some tangy twister Mike & Ikes and I was eating a "Citrus Punch" one and I thought "IAMBE IN MY MOUTH" ... yes. Thats what the smell of Iambe tastes like in my mouth. Citrus Punch Mike & Ikes. Eat one.

Edited by ketalady

Caitfish described this as Patchouliambe.

My sentiments are the exact same. I guess me and Patchouli, I mean Iambe, are not meant to be. I have scrubbed my arm 3 times now and it still persists. Perhaps I have to peel my skin off literaly to be rid of it.

The odd part is that I can recognize it to be a good smell for those who like Patchouli notes. It has some pretty bits to it, I just cannot get over the Patchouli.

Straight out of the imp this smelled like extremely juicy yet musty fruit to me. On my skin, the mustiness fades, and I'm left with potent ripe fruit. This smells like melons. This last a long time on me, and is pretty strong. After reading the description, I hardly noticed the patchouli (unless that's what the inital mustiness was from), and this doesn't smell floral to me at all. I might try this out again before I decide to keep or swap it.

Iambe

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This is a sweet, gentle floral that reminds me a lot of Morgause.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This turns a bit powdery with an underlying spiciness. It is still a lot like Morgause.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): Yup, a more powdery, bit spicier, sweeter (a little too sweet) version of Morgause. It’s beginning to give me a headache. :P Off to Swaps!

My Impression:

Wow, they lab did it again. This totally overwhelms me. This was a frimp from the lab (thank you). Also I find it interesting that there are not many reviews on this scent as I find it simply delicious. I think I need a bottle of this. My scale of 1-5....5 :P

Unfortunately the patchouli in this makes it difficult for me to wear, because it has so many lovely elements to it. Straight off I get a wonderful cucumbery lettucey scent (the gladiola? the white tea? And close to my wrist it is all ambery rose. Beautiful. I can see this would be gorgeous on someone whose chemistry cooperated with patchouli.

First on, this is wonderfully juicy. Sort of like fresh honeydew melon and freshy squeezed white grapes. Perhaps it is the white tea that is giving off that melon scent? After a few minutes I can smell the earthy patchouli, but it's not overpowering at all. Mostly this smells like cucumber and honeydew melon.

This has completely disappeared after about an hour, but it was very pleasant on me while it lasted. It never smelled really floral or spicy on me. The patchouli comes on strong for about fifteen minutes and then fades to the background again.

I love patchouli, but I think that Iambe would actually be better without the patchouli in it. I liked the juicy/wet stages of this one.

I should love this. Amber, patchouli, white florals. But, sadly, I do not. I blame the tea. I thought that because it was white tea that it would not be as prominant...but my skin just amps it up. I have a friend that will love it, though...never fear.

peaches and rose.......but with a very strange sharp acrid overtone. the only thing i can think of is manure. i know that's horrible but that's what i get. it disapppears slightly as it dries down, but it's still there. i wish it weren't because otherwise this one is beautiful.

White tea, patchouli and amber. Wow.

I was worried more floral notes would come out in this, but I was plesantly suprised! This is just lovely.

Patchouli is one of my favorite note, and in combination with the sweet crisp white tea... perfection.

I need a big bottle of this.

This smells very much like honeydew melon on my skin and is a bit overpowering. I'm not getting any of the other notes at all, aside from perhaps a faint faint floral touch. :P

I'm a bit nervous about this one, because of my bad luck with patchouli. But I make a point of trying every imp which comes my way, so here goes.

ITB: fruity and light. I don't sense the patchouli at all yet. On: the fruit disappears entirely, and now I get patchouli, but not overwhelmingly so. The florals are really tempering it. I know it's only a matter of time, however.

Dry: Well, for about an hour I thought, "Wow, a perfume with patchouli that I can actually wear!" Then the patchouli went sour and heavy on me, as usual. This was the closest yet, though!

Wet this is a mossy sweet floral with berry and cucumber maybe. When first on it’s floral with a hint of nuttiness- hazelnut maybe. This becomes a soft green floral blend similar to Beltane. This is pretty but is very light and only lasts a couple of hours on me. Would probably be good to wear in springtime.

Iambe

in vial: rose and something else that is sickly sweet and slightly stinky

wet: rose and strong gardenia

dry: the amber and patchouli take over...lasts over 4 hours

verdict: an ok blend, but not big bottle worthy

I get a soft, floral melon from this scent.

It's lovely, delicate, and feminine.

There's a touch of tea and jasmine in the background.

If you're looking for a replacement for Ingenue, try this.

This starts out as a sharp tea with gardenia. Then, amber! Lots of amber! I don't like amber so much. When it dried down, it smells like a floral tea with milk. Like a gardenia tea and amber with a light bit of cream. This makes me think of British department stores, like Fortnum & Mason. Posh, yet sort of exotic (because they always display the posh, exotic goods, too).

In bottle: At first it's lovely - a floral enriched by amber and grounded in patchouli. But some note - the gladiola? the white tea? - sours and spoils the fragrance, making it smell rotted.

On me: So pretty and light! The amber and white tea dance and glitter over a beautiful garden of flower petals. But unfortunately, one of the florals - and I am going to blame gladiola because I am not at all familar with this plant - makes this smell like @$$ on me! There's a beautiful, almost watery in its delicacy, and then just under it BAM! yucky central. Tears!

Hm. I don't know. It was really fruity & floral in the imp and when I put it on, the fruit goes away and it's all gardenia & gladiola. Ugh. If this stays this floral, this is a swapper. And, I think it's going to. :P Ah well.

Oh patchouli, I really can't wear you at all. The rest of the notes in this sounded so lovely I thought I'd give it a try, but it almost always completely takes over a scent on me. The gladiola and white tea are lovely and fresh in this, but the patchouli is just too much for me.