Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Undoubtedly the greatest marvel of Spiritualism is the materialisation of the spirit form. It is highly interesting to study the gradual development of this phenomenon. It was not till some years after the advent of modern Spiritualism that materialisation was heard of. At first the spirits had power only to materialise a hand or foot, and that very imperfectly; then they were able to produce faces, several sometimes showing at one séance; but even at that time the spirits prophesied that the time would shortly come when they should be able to materialise a complete human form, and walk about in our midst. That time has now come. On two occasions I have witnessed the phenomenon of a spirit reincarnating itself — putting on a material body and dress — the body to all intents a human body, and the dress fabric of earthly produce. The spirit has not suddenly burst on my view in a perfected form, but slowly evolved out of nothingness before my eyes, and again melted away, repeating the process again and again!

– Experiences in Spiritualism: A Record of Extraordinary Phenomena Witnessed Through the Most Powerful Mediums, With Some Historical Fragments Relating to Semiramide, Given by the Spirit of and Egyptian Who Lived Contemporary With Her by Catherine Berry

A quiet perfume that emerges slowly out of nonbeing: white musk, ambergris accord, coconut, almond milk, and honeysuckle.

Wispy, ethereal and enchanting. When first applied, the coconut leads the way, accompanied by the ambergris and almond milk, but it never strikes me as foody. Once it settles in, the musk and honeysuckle show up and I find I'm in love. Almost defies classification. It's not gourmand, not especially floral, but utterly lovely. Definitely back up bottle worthy.

Edited by Wench457

A ton of coconut, almond, and whiffs of white musk and ambergris. Its if Snow White decide to take a tropical vacation. Who can blame her? Pina coladas, beach, and sun. Great throw and wear length.

Ambergris and honeysuckle in the bottle. Goes on as ooh pretty! honeysuckle. There’s a brief creamy foodie note as it dries, which might be the coconut, but it settles as a nice clear aquatic with occasional flashes of honeysuckle on top.

I would describe this as a sophisticated tropical scent. The coconut, almond milk, and honeysuckle make it a somewhat sweet, almost a coconut slushie, drink scent. The ambergris adds to tropical nature of the scent, but takes it away from being foodie. The ambergris also adds some dimension to the scent for me. I'm personally not smelling this as a "quiet perfume". I find it to be a sweet coconut/ambergris scent that's not shy about being tropical. One of my favorites in this year's Yules.

I am a sucker for honeysuckle, so I had to try this one.

In the decant, the notes that leap out at me are the honeysuckle, almond milk, and white musk. Those are also the main players on my skin at first, with the honeysuckle taking the center stage. After a little bit, the coconut note emerges and ends up gaining strength over time, which gives it more of a tropical feel. The white musk in this isn't super strong, and it took several hours for the lovely ambergris note to show up on me, but that usually happens with me and ambergris.

I really like this and will definitely be hanging on to my decant. I will have to retest it and see if I need more before the Yules go away, but I don't think my budget is going to allow for a bottle. It is really lovely, though, and I think it will pair wonderfully with Nectar Hair Gloss.

My skin chemistry (or maybe just my nose) is way different on this one. I actually get a subtle tobacco note somehow when this is first applied. Some more of the floral and tropical notes come out a it dries but this never reads strongly tropical on me like other scents have done. It feels almost like a vintage study room transported into a coconut grove. Surprisingly the honeysuckle doesn't amp much on me.

This is mostly coconut and musky milk on me.  It's not sugary or almondy.  It's an almond milk specifically.  It smells like a complex Obatala.  I'm not getting any honeysuckle.  Pleasant, but not ringing my bells.  If you like unsweetened coconut though, you'd probably dig this.

Edited by VetchVesper

It's a floral milky coconut on my skin and i get no tropical vibe from it. Over time the almond mil/ coconut combo takes center stage.

Wow....this is gorgeous. Creamy, tropical vibe coconut with the slight sweetness of almond milk and the white musk gives it decent throw. Ambergris typically doesn't play well with me but fortunately in this blend it seems to work! Seriously, this is wonderful. I feel like this is the sleeper hit of the Yules this year. 

damn, i was hoping for an ambergris-honeysuckle extravaganza but instead i'm getting a pina colada scent...all milky coconut and hints of...pineapple? 

Edited by theseagrows

Lots of coconut here. Honestly very tropical smelling and beachy alongside the ambergris. Not the most 'yule' scent...

The ambergris is beachy, musky, a little funky in a good way. I like ambergris but again... not sure this is conveying the intended vibe.

The white musk is clean and sweet, not overly strong. Not too soapy either, mostly helps amplify the muskiness of the ambergris.

I do get a bit of sweet nuttiness on the wrist sniff from the almond milk. It does have a creamy aspect to it from being milk and not just almond. Compliments the coconut well.

The honeysuckle is very mild. I do get a hint of floral, but just barely.

Overall this is.... very summery. Not really a very spirit-y or yule-y scent. This is all beaches and coconuts.

What grabbed me, surprisingly, was Materialisation from the Yules. I'd had a passing curiosity by the copy when it first came out (A quiet perfume that emerges slowly out of nonbeing) but thought, surely not. I've been grabbed by copy before. Surely it can't be as good as it sounds. As surprising as it sounds. But nope. It was that good. It smelled like more than the sum of its parts and smelled spectral and mysterious. It smelled like the color of chartreuse.

Sweet coconut and almond blended together. Buttery, sugary, but also floral, thanks to the lush honeysuckle note. Tropical, light and ethereal. I would slather this on for a beach vacay. Sweeter and more floral sister to Obatala.

I bought this from the Lab last Yule, somehow lost it in a box of decants waiting to be listed for sale and just found it now - get it together, Liz! LOL.

Wet: This does not smell like a Yule scent at all, it's all summery coconut and honeysuckle. It's really gorgeous. I was actually having an issue where none of the honeysuckle scents I had were quite doing it for me this past spring, so I feel like this might replace them when spring rolls around again! I am loving the combo of coconut and honeysuckle, it's tropical and fresh and lush. Lovely!

Dry: The honeysuckle kind of takes over, but it still has a creamy, tropical vibe that I really like. I can see reaching for this a lot in the spring.

White musk and ambergris can be iffy on me, honeysuckle, almond milk and coconut are all wins.  So I didn't try Materialisation last year, but it was on my list of scents to watch reviews from, and I recently had the good fortune to receive it in a PIF.  It's really lovely.  Creamy coconutty almond milk with the sweetness of honeysuckle but more of a foodie than a floral vibe.  The musk and ambergris are gentle and don't take this in an aquatic direction on me.  Unfortunately, like many scents with ghostly titles or descriptions, it doesn't have a lot of throw or longevity on me, but it's beautiful while it lasts.  

Quite embarrassing, but I have had this since it came out, tucked in a random box somewhere, never worn or ever tested! You know you have too much perfume when....lol

Wet: Sweet honeysuckle and coconut in almost equal measures. I love both notes, but this is a little sweet for me initially.

Dry: Much less sweet once dry. It has a fresh, breezy feel, maybe from the ambergris? Feels a bit beachy. Honeysuckle is the dominant note on me. I quite like it and can see wearing it in the summer.