Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blackened patchouli, sweet vetiver, labdanum, and honey.

I forgot what the notes of this were when I grabbed it to wear this morning, but I've been in love with it all day and now I see why. It's like a slightly sharper cousin to this year's Zoe and the Goat weenie. When first applied it's a blast of smoky patchouli with a hint of vetiver peeking out. As it dries down, the vetiver becomes a bit stronger and the honey appears, as does a scent that I assume is the labdanum. These mix with the patchouli and create a really complex and lovely scent. I love it both freshly applied and hours later. I'm probably gonna need a backup bottle. 

I snagged a bottle of this at Lunacy after just a quick sniff - I knew it was a winner. I too was curious about the comparisons with the caramelized patchouli in Zoe and the Goat, so today I did an arm-vs-arm comparison. 

Twelfth Lash is to Zoe what Samhainophobia is to Samhain: dark rituals in the midnight forest vs. frolicking through the trees. In spite of the sweet things in the notes, Twelfth has teeth. It bites instead of giggles, which is absolutely what Zoe is doing on my other arm by comparison. No caramelization with the Lash; *blackened* is the right word for it!

As it dries, I could swear Twelfth has pine in it; it's the dark, sticky resin of midnight pine rather than a bright, cheerful pine. As a huge fan of Samhainophobia, I am thrilled to have a wintry equivalent. It has excellent throw and staying power so it will go quite a ways. Very happy to have a bottle for my very own.

Honey, labdanum and a touch of patchouli. Sticky honey, with a touch of vetiver and patchouli. Good throw, average wear length.

Wonderful! It's the sex honey from Entertaining the Heian Court Maiden, with sweet, grassy vetiver. The patchouli is subtle,  the labdanum adds sweetness. At dry-down, this is ridiculously good. I can't quit huffing my arm. I want at least a partial bottle.

ETA: For beeswax fans, adding that my daughter says this is "strong beeswax" on me. She's a beeswax candle huffer from birth. 

One year later, the patchouli is a little stronger, & the labdanum is more pronounced. 

Edited by Teamama
More

I love patchouli and I often like honey. This lash is nice, sweet with wooden notes in the back. Almost a bit herbal. But the honey note is strong, it's quite similar to Zoe and the Goat from recent Weenies. ZATG is sweeter and less woody. But it's the same honey note in both! In Zoe the honey note was very strong first but has developed since arrival. I'll expect it here too.

But fresh I hardly detect any patchouli, only a slight wood note. The honey develops powdery sweet on me. Don't need more than my decant.

Edited by mandragora369

In vial: That sweet, caramelized feel from Zoe and the Goat (caramelized patchouli, cream, and thick golden honey), but the vetiver changes the base considerably.

On me: Zoe and the Goat comparisons are apt, mostly for the caramelization--the bases differ but the caramelization takes center stage. Bizarrely, but I get something almost cola-like from the caramel + labdanum--it's a sort of sweet/dark/resinous vibe which distinguishes this blend from ZatG. Not too strong, not too sweet, a little more nuanced than ZatG.

Verdict: Not for me. ZatG didn't work on me either, my skin amps the caramel and that caramel isn't to my taste. But it's the weird cola that kills this for me--I don't want to smell like that!

A super generous forumite gave me a decant of this today because she liked it enough for a bottle, and yes, it is that good.  More than seven hours after applying Twelfth Lash, I'm still getting a delectable vetiver and beeswax scent.  Wet, it's honey and patch and vetiver (I'm not sure I'm really able to differentiate "blackened patchouli" from "patchouli plus vetiver") with a bit of syrupy labdanum.  It dries down into something that's sexy but not smutty, warm and grounded with a hint of darkness.  I've been thinking of it as a woman's scent as opposed to a girl's, but I think it would probably smell marvelous on the right man, too.  I'm so glad to have gotten to try this!

Sweet patchouli and cola-smelling labdanum, and then a sweet almost fruit honey note.  With just a hint of earthy vetiver.  I’m not getting “dark” or “blackened” -- to me this is flirty and sexy.  I like this soooo much. It’s nice and strong and I love smelling like sweet resins and honey!