Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Blackcurrant Glogg

A sweet, dark ember of winter pleasure: port wine, brandy, and bourbon simmered with white sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, orange peel, and wild blackcurrant.

Black currant, spices, clove and port wine. Boozy black currant! If that's what you're looking for, this is a nice warm blend. Good throw and wear length.

I want to drink this so bad.  Spiced up blackcurrant drink that definitely feels like being indoors on a cold winter's night.  For me this is like a winter answer to Fairy Wine from the Stardust collection.  It's got a slightly effervescent feel i get from a lot of BPAL wines, but it doesn't go too sweet and fruity because of the wine and spices and the tartness of the currant.

I got to sniff this one. It's VERRRRRRY boozy. Like stick your face in spirits and inhale. I was hoping for more simmer and less spirits, but I think it'd be a hit for fans of boozy blends!

Bottle: Like medicine... cough syrup. It does also make me think a little of mulled wine, but knowing how cherry and blueberry goes medicinal on me I hoped to the Blackcurrant gods were kind!

...And they were!

Wet: Very quickly smelling more like fruit tingles on me so far which is a good thing! (For those not in the know, it's an Australian candy which is quite citrus and sherbet like).
Dry: Blackcurrant, like sweet oranges and berries. Something in the background which actually makes me think of wine. Only a little bit boozy and not overpowering.

Later: More of the above. It's very akin to a light mulled wine. It's a warm scent but not heavy. 

Overall: Blackcurrant Glogg is a fruity scent on me and I quite like it! It's actually Summer in Australia and I could see myself wearing it throughout these warmer months because of the fruit.

Edited by follis

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I added Blackcurrant Glogg to my decant order.  Looking back, there are half a dozen other scents in the update that are closer to my wheelhouse.  Wine is generally bad on me; blackcurrant is hit or miss, usually miss.  So take this review with a grain of salt. 

Wet, I get the grape syrup my skin usually turns wine into, made even sweeter by the sugar and boozier by the brandy.  The spice trio is really faint on me, but the wild blackcurrant, which I can't distinguish from regular blackcurrant, and the orange peel are very much in evidence.  So fruit, booze, sugar and a little citrus, and it does have a festive feel to it.  It's actually a perfectly pleasant scent, and I would love to taste it at a holiday party.  It's just not what I tend to wear as perfume.  

Boozy, spicy black currant. This is very dark, purple fruity wine with some gentle spices, fairly sweet but not cloying. I absolutely want to drink this; I'm not sure I want to wear it. Good throw, and doesn't change much on the drydown.

Blackcurrant Glogg is a boozy blackcurrant scent, accompanied by zesty orange peel and sweetened with sugar, with some spices mixed in (they are light at first, but become more noticeable over time, especially the cinnamon and clove, but never dominate the scent).

Fruity scents aren't really my thing, but I wanted to try this to compare it to the Black Cherry and Apricot Glogg scent I have, and I feel like that one is far more boozy (at least, on me -- I get ridiculous throw from that one with my skin chemistry). This is better than I thought it would be, but it's also not something I could see myself reaching for.

This reads to me as an autumnal blend. The black currant comes alive in the beginning, but after 10 minutes the the boozy and spicy notes take over in a gentle way and reminds me a bit of the Lab's Halloween apple cider blends. Overall, it's a restrained blend, it doesn't beg for attention and appropriate for evening wear.