Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Centzon Totochtin

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

Hm... I don't know which note in this stuff is the one that's so clingy, but this stuff lasts on me like no other scent has! Fortuantely I really love it, lol, because I put it on yesterday morning and it's still on me -- I can faintly smell it even after my shower.

I wonder if it's the 'scent redolent of sacrifices' -- and what that is, exactly? :P

ohhhh my goddd.

This is so GORRAM fantastic. But don't smell it in the bottle, it seriously reeks! :P

On my skin it morphs into this warm and sensuous red wine and dark chocolate smell. ITS SO GOOD, SERIOUSLY.

I have a bottle of Bliss, and I've tried 13, but neither of them can touch this for a chocolate smell. It almost smells like chocolate cherries to me, but when I really analyze the smell, it's that luscious red wine smell from Wanda accompanying the chocolate, not cherry. It's not a sickly sweet smell.

I do kind of get the hints of blood running through this. It's almost a semi-malevolent scent. Like it's perhaps too good to be good for you? I feel like donning a black ball gown and finding someone to take prisoner in my dark castle of evil intent.

Yummy.

:D

Oh wow. When I sniffed the imp, I said, "Oh My God," then my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I started drooling. Well it almost happened like that.

This one is sooooo tasty. :D :D :P

It's deep, dark, rich chocolate with a little bit of coffee. The richest, darkest mocha ever. I get only the smallest hint of wine and blood here and after it dries I get a little bit of incense smoke. I really wish it stayed as strong as it did in the imp, still, I'm considering a bottle.

Dark, delicious and evil! :P DH and I both love this on eachother. Really chocolatey in the bottle, but as soon as it hits the skin it is dark red wine, insence and blood-metalic and spicy. On the drydown it is kind of fruity, but it is still dark and warm. Definately a keeper.

DH calls it " :D Aztec Pudding" b/c we can't pronounce it!

Edited by lookingglass

Once again I am in awe that a perfume oil can capture an idea so perfectly.

In the vial, this is chocolate, with something sweet and thick in the background. On me, the chocolate quickly fades to the background and a rich, alcoholic, sweet, and yes, bloody scent comes out. Whoa. That's sort of unnerving. This is the scent of human sacrifice-- the drugged chocolate taste lingering in the victim's mouth, her head heavy with its effects, surrounded by a blur of color and chanting, and then the scent of her own blood.

I don't know if I could ever wear this, but I'm truly amazed by its artistry.

I'm madly in lust with this scent. And lust is the right word.

Out of the vial, this is straight chocolate and rum for me. A deep, rich, dark chocolate and the kind of rum that just a shiff can make you tipsy.

Then, it dries down. And I go from 'well, this is nice' to 'oh gods.' With the drydown, I get a strong note that is the smell of warm blood. I can pick out wormwood from that particular note, and it's a very interesting thing to smell in my perfume, especially as clearly as it comes through here, though it isn't something that surprised me to find here, after I stopped to think about.

For a good eight hours of wear, I get chocolate-and-rum-and-blood out of this perfume. This isn't something that I'd wear for any mood and every day, but it's definitely something that I plan to pick up one (or two ...) big bottles of and hoard for those special moods that just demand chocolate-and-rum-and-blood.

As I mentioned lust ... this scent has one of the strongest effects on my sex drive that I've ever encountered before. It's a very distinct part of my sex drive, that I'm not going into details about here, but the blood fits that mood nicely. :D

Luckily, it has the same effect on both of the people that I'm lovers with right now. :P

This was a frimp from the lab.

I knew I wouldn't like this before I even tried it on, because I just can't handle foody scents. And, of course, it was a complete disaster on me. Almost unbearingly sickly sweet. It does smell like chocolate and alcohol and blood, but that's where the problem lies! My skin amps it up to an unbelievable extent and it's not pleasant. But, hardly a surprise.

I can really smell the rum and the cocoa in this (and I can't help but think that I would prefer to be drinking it than wearing it). It is a very sweet and sickly scent with something quite feral about it too. Not me at all and it went soapy on me after about 2 hours!!

This one went very bitter on me, I only got a whiff of chocolate and then instant bitterness.

Not my thing, into the swaps pile.

I wanted to like this so much, and for the first few minutes I actually did. The cocoa was all warm and soft and the wine was just a little sharp. But on dry-down the cocoa almost disappears and the wine comes out harder. After about ten minutes the cocoa is gone completely, the wine has taken over, and the sweetness under it has turned it completely into grape jelly. *sigh* Into the swaps, I'll keep hunting the perfect chocolate scent.

First sniff: Er? This is just… unsettling. The one note I can identify is cocoa, but it’s… evil cocoa. At a closer sniff, I can smell the wine sneaking around in the background – a wine more reminiscent of Formula 54’s bleary staggering cognac than any of the true wine scents I’ve tried. These rabbits’ parties aren’t about getting drunk and having a good time… they’re about getting drunk and having a good time by smashing things and wreaking havoc.

Wearing: Seriously boozey on my skin. I don’t think The Bunnies and I are going to get along. And it’s doing something weird now that it’s dried – it smells quite a bit like frankincense often does on me, very sharp. I had high hopes for this one, but I think I’ll stick to Kali for my cocoa/wine fix.

This smells exactly like root beer on me, right down to the scent of carbonation (if there is such a thing - but seriously, I feel like I can smell the bubbles). Wild. I can't help wishing I got more of the wine and cocoa that many of you are getting, because I love those, but I'm enjoying my root beer.

This starts off all warm and chocolatey on me, but then plunges into a boozey nightmare. :P It's too much wine for someone who doesn't drink, which is disappointing because it started off so well!

Before even trying it, I consider this scent a tour de force whether or not I can wear it--I mean, who but Beth would even *think* of this blend? And the idea of 400 rabbits coming over to party just makes me smile. :P

In the imp: dry, dark chocolate--i.e. the kind I truly love!

On me: The chocolate is a gorgeous topnote with hints of rum, and the wine (yes, the Wanda wine note) is peeking out underneath for a touch of sweetness. I don't get anything icky or creepy here at all--it's a rich gourmand scent for those of us who like foody but *not* overly sweet. This is a luscious rum-filled chocolate bonbon from The Chocolate Fetish (our local choc shop). This is the scent of a wine and chocolate-tasting party, a sophisticated, sexy night-on-the-town scent. And I'll bet DH will love it too--either to wear or just to smell on me. I love it!

Yum! Redolent is the right adjective. It's rich, heavy, with much of the cocoa and something of the rum. No explicit alcohol scent, though, and the blood is slightly metallic. It's definitely sacrificial blood, a bit incensey. Warm and dark red, and delicious. The chocolate reminds me very much of Ibarra, which is, in fact, bittersweet Mexican cocoa.

Rich and excellent. It has very high staying power, especially in my hair.

Centzon Totochtin..compliment freebie from the Lab..thank you!!!

Not something I was originally thinking of purchasing..but heck..it's here so I might as well just give it a whirl...

Initial sniff from imp: Absolutely...it is dark unsweetened cocoa...bittersweet..and..wow....right behind it while I sniff is some sort of alcohol-like notes..red wine/rum..can't really tell. This isn't sweet chocoate..like other reviewers stated..this is grown-up chocolate..dark...swirling...

Applied wet on skin: Still the dark chocolate but now the rum/red wine notes are fast on the bittersweet chocolate's tail. I don't get any blood tang...maybe that will be in the drydown??? Still smells fabulous...the dark bitterness of the chocolate..the touch of swetness I think I am getting from the rum...all of this a dark swirl...

Couple of minutes on skin: Same players at the party..but the chocolate is now being a bit more courteous...giving the red wine/rum notes a BIT more room on the dance floor..still no sign of the "sacrificial blood "note..hmmm...not that I mind...

Drydown: As stardreamer stated in her review...somehow the drydown reminds me very much of Kali. In fact...this is exactly like Kali..except without the florals, tobacco or honey. I don't mind this one bit..actually..I am loving Centzon Totochtin. What I am left on my wrist is wisps of the chocolate...somehow this is now sort of nutty sweetness..it's the best way I can describe it..

Lasting power..very good...already 5+ hour mark..and still going fairly strong.

Bottom Line: Definitely a fall scent..and one that I think I am now slating for a 5ml purchase. My sister has Kali..and I loved that scent..it's nice to know that I can claim Centzon Totochtin as my own...a dark swirling scent...rich and definitely addictive. Well done!!

Edit: I wore this on 10/25/06..lasting power 13+ hours and the most amazing drydown...so glad I have a bottle of this!!!

Edited by metaldog32

I got this as part of a decant circle, and though I've been curious, I've never tried it before.

In the imp: ... I've seen people mention the smell of Nutella. I'd call it peanut butter. No, seriously, it smells like peanut butter and jelly to me. How. Odd.

Wet: Whoa, sharp, right away. Almost a vinegar-y wine scent. At least there's no more whiffs of peanuts. Don't get me wrong, I adore peanut butter, I just don't want to smell like it.

Drydown: I get the same fizzyness that someone else mentioned, and it reminds me of Laudanum, not for scent, but for feeling. Not sure what that component is, but it's definitely interesting. The wine/fruity scent has complete hold on me. I get no chocolate, and just a hint of spice. It's not a *bad* smell. I actually sort of like it.

Dry: This scent lasts. It's definitely gone spicy mulled wine, one that wafts around me, teasing me with a lick now and then. I wouldn't call this a signature scent for me, but it definitely smells like a mad bunny party.

I can not believe I haven't reviewed this yet, I could have sworn I did. When I read the description of Centzon Totochtin, I felt a little sick. Mexican cocoa, rum, wine, and blood? In my mind there was no possible way this could smell good. It's just a darned good thing that I forgot when my last order came, otherwise, despite my promise to try every BPAL I come across, I might not have even opened the imp. But I did open it, and I took a sniff, and I had to put some on immediately.

In the imp it smelled like dark cocoa, not too sweet, and faintly nutty and buttery, which I'm guessing is the rum note. Rich and warm and just delicious. On my skin the cocoa tones down a bit, the rum all but disapears and the spices and red wine come up. I was standing there, siffing my wrist like a fool, and thinking, "I should not like this, this scent is not me at all. OMFG this smells so good!" There was also something deeply disturbing lurking in the background that I coudn't quite put my finger on.

Even though I could pick out notes, I practically ran to the computer to look this one up, because I couldn't remeber the description. I was in complete shock when I realized it was the gross cocoa, wine, blood perfume. And thats when I realized what that deeply disturbing thing I could smell in the background was. This definatly has the coppery tang of blood. I still can't believe that I love this so much. The description should come with a disclaimer *No really, it smells good!*

Edited by RainyDayGrey

The primary note I get from this is some sort of fruit - before I reread the description I swore this had to have pomegranate in it. I'm thinking this has to be the wine, but it's nowhere near the wine note I get from Lady MacBeth. I got very little cocoa from this, which is odd because my skin tends to amp chocolate notes. On the drydown I smell a faint floral undertone, but overall this one is a no-go for me.

Wet: A lot of chocolate, and Sin.

Dry: A little chocolate and Sin. This is exactly like Sin with a tad of chocolate. it was immediate recognition. So if you liked Sin, you will like this.

This is my dearest love, the scent that took my BPAL virginity and the first one I loved enough to get in a full bottle. Chocolate, booze, and blood--can you beat that?? I don't get that whooshing amaretto from the rum in Baron Samedi, just a nice, calm, scrumptuous berry-wine note over dark chocolate and that spice of blood. I totally enabled my sister on this scent. I have devoted my life to trying to invent a cookie that tastes like Centzon Totochtin. Not sure how I'll get the blood note. We'll work on that.

I wish this was creamy. Creamy cocoa would be nice. This just smells like the dried blood of a dusty rabbit sliced open. It has a certain animalistic muskiness to it. In terms of notes, this smells like a cocktail of half red wine, half sacrificial blood, with cocoa powder to top it off. It smells a bit more of cocoa later, more animal musk, less red wine. Overall, not my type of scent.

I just tried the scent and I thought I would hate it, but after having it on for an hour it's starting to work for me. It smells like chocolate wine. It's interesting, but I'll have to try it again before deciding on wether or not to buy a big bottle. I've never smelled anything quite like it before.

Tried this at the Toronto Meet'n'Sniff today. And I can't remember the last time I tried such a freaky and fascinating scent! In the imp, it didn't smell entirely pleasant, and I remember at the previous M'n'S sniffing it in the imp and deciding I didn't want to try it, but since then I've kept seeing comments and reviews that made me want to try it, and I am so, so glad I did!

One thing many of the reviews mentioned was not to judge it by how it smelled in the imp, because on the skin it was often completely different. So on it went. At first, while wet, it still smelled kind of nasty, but once it started to settle in, all kinds of things started happening. I was sniffing my wrist every two minutes, because it was different every time. One minute it would be spilled rum next to a bonfire, then it was burning cinnamon, then it was some kind of decadent chocolate liqueur, then something weirdly salty, then some kind of combination of the above like a pile of rum-soaked sweaty naked people in front of a roaring bonfire, though considerably more pleasant than that sounds.

Eventually it settled down into something like a strangely spicy, smoky, dark chocolate incense. It's sort of dark and resinous and sticky and sexy, and the not-sweet chocolate plus spices makes me think a bit of Mexican molé sauce. That description doesn't entirely make sense even to me, and it certainly doesn't do full justice to how wonderful this scent is, but I think it's the best I can do right now.

I took home two imps of this from the M'n'S -- that should hopefully hold me until I get a bottle, because this is love.

Grade: A

This is my fourth BPAL fragrance ever, and I'm utterly impressed with how different each oil has been. In the vial, this smells like the devil's hot chocolate - dark, boozy and sinister, but with little marshmallows on the top. Ten minutes after applying it, the oil lost the sweetness that made me think of marshmallows, and the red wine revved up a bit. The oil didn't morph much after that. I like this quite a bit, but think I may have to save this for weekend because of the booziness.

Edited by terrierhead