Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Centzon Totochtin

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

In the imp: Mexican hot cocoa! You do remind yourself NOT TO DRINK THE BPAL.
On me wet/drydown: Extremely dark chocolate. I want to gnaw my wrist.
Impression: Not for summer. Definitely for winter.
Verdict: Must pass this around my foody lovers.

at first: the lab tossed this in with my last order. this is so gorgeous. i mean, it's amazing. i can smell the mexican cocoa, rum, and red wine. it's wonderful.

on: delicious cocoa. i'm so glad i'm not getting the coffee note that others have, since i can't stand the smell of coffee. i can smell the rum and red wine, too. this is beautiful.

2 hours later: still sweet, but more from the wine and rum than the cocoa. still beautiful.

overall: i really love this. i may eventually end up getting a bottle.

Yowza. I have always avoided chocolate scents because, while I LOVE chocolate I don't like to smell like anything edible...it creeps me out and I don't like the "Mmmm, I could just eat you up" comments it tends to inspire.

Okay! So anyway, I opened this up and feel like I must have just passed out drunk at a diner with my face in an entire chocolate cake. And that's not a bad thing, in this case. Did anyone else describe it like that? I didn't read all of the reviews, but I feel like someone else must have had that impression. :P It does give me an overall "diner" vibe with some really deep, dark black coffee brewing, a shelf full of fresh donuts and thickly frosted chocolate cakes, and maybe a glass of wine. The rumminess does NOT put me off the way that it usually does because it doesn't have that heady swirl of buttery booze in it. It's a slightly more bittersweet scent.

As it dries down a faint, slightly metallic tone chimes in and there is a bit of a red wine bite. That warm smoky chocolate is really amazing. I'd swear there's some sort of pipe tobacco or deep dark coffee ground smell. The slightly sweet smell of dad's pipe tobacco seems to creep in. I don't even like any of those scents "in the wild", as it were, but somehow this works. I can't really imagine wearing it on a regular basis -- maybe just on a special occasion in the fall or winter, when I want something to warm me.

Wow I can really smell the rum, it's deep and rich. Combined with the undertone of bittersweet cocoa, the result is similar to a coffee smell for me. (I was sure it had coffee beans in it until I read the description!) The wine is there, but it's hiding in the shadows, adding a little bit of darkness. Overall, a really cool scent. I'm not sure yet if this is something I will want to wear, but this one's so original and unique that everyone should try it.

When I first applied it this was definitely bitter cocoa, but there was something I didn't like in the background, almost like an oily scent. Fortunately when it dries this oily scent has disappeared and I've got spicy dark chocolate covered cherries :P . About 2 and a half hours later the chocolate and the cherries have disappeared and I'm left with what smells to me of vetiver. I wish the chocolate cherries section hung around longer.

After reading the description for this, I wanted to try it right away. I LOVE dark chocolate, especially the 70% cocoa kind. Yum. I loved the wine note in Wanda, so I thought I would love this for sure.

The imp smells like wine with a slight tinge of something sweet, which I am assuming is the chocolate. After swiping this on my wrists, I can still smell the wine, and something that smells a bit… dirty. I think I am picking up vetivert and it’s making my stomach churn. But I tell myself, “that’s just the chocolate.” Yeah. For some reason, this is reminding me of carob covered raisins. I’m still getting that underlying vetivert and I’m realizing that me and the Four Hundred divine rabbits just can’t hang out. Off to the swap pile.

on me: some kind of floral that might be the wine scent, and the metallic note of blood is prevalant throughout. in the background, smoke hovers. later on, it fades to a sweet chocolate scent. what's not to like? i am looking forward to trying it again, and then i'll know if i want a whole bottle. i'm leaning towards "yes".

n.

in the bottle: I have a tin of Mexican hot chocolate, whenever I brew it, it smells exactly like this.

wet on skin: the red wine has sat up and taken notice of the fact that it's been laid across my skin. Chocolate and coffee and red wine, all of these things swirling around and blending together. It's enough to make one's head spin.

dry: the chocolate and coffee notes seem to have settled down a bit and stepped aside to let the sweetness of rum come out for a spell. Very smokey, as well.

I'm not entirely sure if I like this one or not. I wanted to, quite desperately, because the description of it enchanted me so much. Four hundred. Divine. Rabbits. Who couldn't possibly love that? I just don't know if I care for the cocoa note.

:P OMG where can I even begin with Centzon Totochtin besides the fact that I am in sheer heaven when wearing this gorgeous, very wearable scent!?!?

All the smells come through loud and clear with a distinct and beautiful warmth....from the bittersweet mexican cocoa to the rum and red wine....it mellows fantastically...my chemistry just adores Centzon T :D

Needless to say, I am collecting as many imps of this as possible until my order from the lab gets here probably around early September....

:D

This will be a divine scent for the cooler months but I can't help loving it right now, too....

This is def on my top 5 for fav scents...you rock Beth :D

:D

Smelled this in the DC BPAL meet up and decided I have to try this!

In the Bottle: smells like chocolate rumballs! :P

On Skin: Warm bittersweet cocoa. Ever taken a whiff of chocolate before you make hot cocoa the old fashioned way? Yeah... that's what I'm getting.

On Drydown: Some of the cocoa smell fades and I get more of a liqour smell, either its the rum or the red wine. It adds a spicyness to it. It fades fast though.

Verdict: I'll keep the imp but I will doubt I will require more. Ah... I wish the dusky cocoa would have lasted longer.

Wet: Cocoa with wine and a hint of alcohol, which I presume is the rum. Should be interesting...

Drydown: Wow, that's different! Reminds me of Blood Kiss, but chocolatey.

1.5 hours later: Oh wow, it's gone all incensey and soft...lovely! Unpronounceable, but lovely!

Overall: A definite keeper!

Oro

Soft warm cocoa, this is substantially more chocolatey in the bottle than it is on me, thankfully and it's gorgeous and warm and very redolant of O with a touch of honey. A touch of wine and rum make this a little sour underneath the honey but it's not clashing so much as making this very intriguing. Fun to try, not quite a keeper.

In bottle: Chocolate, but not creamy milk; it has a nuttiness to it that is absolutely delicious! Reminds me a bit of hazelnuts. There's also a lovely wine/berry-fruit note that makes this positively mouth-watering.

On me: Mmmm, delicious. I would be licking myself if I could. This is Nutella and rich red wine, making a gorgeous fragrance that calls to mind fancy desserts in posh restaurants.

The lovely Amethyst from the Lush Forum sent me and imp of this wonderful perfume, and now I can blame her for the strong "I-need-a-big-bottle" feeling that I've got.

Wet I can get cocoa and rum over a spicy bottom line with a bit of clove on it.

It's a sweet and obscure chocolate, not as inocent as chocolate can be in Bliss, this is very different! It has a smoky undertone that gives it a lovely edge.

This is a great gourmand perfume. If you are looking for chocolate and you find Bliss a bit "light" for you, just go for this one.

I LOVE IT! :P

This is like Vice, but darker, deeper, redder. Powdery, butter cocoa...almost coffee-like coming straight from the imp, and sweet red wine.

TC is true to its description and changes very little on my skin.

I simply love this. I may have to bathe in this scent in the fall.

This is a dry and bitter, but very decadent blend. Deep, dark, powdery cocoa and rich, blood red wine are the most prominent notes. It has a substantial throw, and is deep and heady.

when i first put this on i didnt like it- the cocoa/chocolate scent was very strong and was too foody for me personally.

later on, it still smelled slightly foody, but more spicy and 'exotic'. i can also see the 'scent reminiscent of blood' and it smells good- a slight metallic edge. i've never quite smelled anything like it.

it's not really for me, but i do like it and will keep the imp and wear it from time to time.

Oh noes! The bunny Gods got so drunk that they murdered a chocolate bar!!! :P

After discovering that I love foody scents, and that Beth's red wine note seems to agree with me completely, Centzon Totochtin has been on my wishlist for a while. I finally got it a few days ago in a swap.

At first I almost swooned when I smelled this in the imp. I could smell chocolate and wine and it was everything I wanted it to be. It's definitely a dark chocolate, very bitter smelling. However the oil itself is a lot lighter than I expected.

On me, it's a powdery smell that reminds me of my disasters with O and Dana O Shee, both of which I loved at first but turned into sharp powdery plastic smells on me. However there's still the chocolate but it's faint. For the first 15 minutes or so of wearing this I try not to smell myself, because I'll get a migraine.

However, after that initial stage this oil is GORGEOUS. The wine and rum come out to play and my body chemistry is adoring them both. I have a feeling this would be a wonderful layering scent, but I have to figure out exactly what I'd like to layer it with.

Oh those tricky rabbits! When I first opened the vial I smelled candy. Sweet, hard candy. My girlfriend thought she smelled maple syrup. I also thought recognized something in common with Tenochtitlan. However, none of these, I see, are are in the description or any of the reviews, so methinks my nose is out of whack!

After reading the reviews and re-sniffing my arms, the sweetness is fading and I can detect something dry and kind of spicy. Definitely not getting any cocoa, though. Perhaps the my skin is amping up the rum and wine? Doesn’t really smell boozy though, either…

Not to complain, at all, I LOVE what this has turned into on drydown and will definitely use up the imp while I decide whether to get more. I just can’t find ANY similarities with any of the other reviews here :P . It's an imp straight from the lab, though, so I'm sure it is what it is...

Edited, 4 hours later - still no chocolate or cocoa whatsoever. Sigh. This isn't the first scent that smells totally different to me than to everyone else. Maybe I just can't identify notes. Oh well, at least nothing's ever predictable!

Edited by Kittyflop

Oh, WOW. This is amazing! It's my new favorite. :D

The cocoa scent is rich and smooth. There's something very slightly sweet and fruity in there, but it's also warm and spicy. There is a quality to it like nutmeg. Not that it smells of nutmeg, but I get the same kind of euphoric rush with the 400 rabbits that I get from sticking my nose in the nutmeg jar...

:wub2: x 400

Later: oddly, this isn't morphing on me. It's still the same rich, spicy, warm, slightly sweet goodness. Also, I never got coffee from it like some people did. Definitely a big bottle!

Edited by borealis

I'm pretty 'meh' on this blend. It's not offensive, but it's not doing anything for me either. I can't really pick up the chocolate note, which is disappointing, and the rum is kind of sickly. It reminds me a bit of Juke Joint and, in moments, of Perversion. It's the alcohol note, possibly.

Ultimately, there's nothing here to maintain my interest and enough to turn it off. This one goes to the swap pile.

This was nice on me at first, dark chocolate and wine, very nice. It got a little incensey-seeming. I don't think this is a scent for me, because it got a little harsh and dark. I think my chemistry mish mashed this into something never smelled before. After awhile, a powdery note came out in it. I'm pretty sad about it. If your skin can handle darker notes, go for it!

Thanks to gingersnapp!

In the imp: The cap on the imp popped off rather gracelessly (there must be a trick to opening these things that I'm not quite getting 100% of the time) and splattered my fingertips. WHOA, CHOCOLATE! and some other stuff, but mostly CHOCOLATE.

On, wet: Whew. A little less chocolatey, and a rum-ish, cinnamon-ish, sweet scent starts taking over.

Drydown: The chocolate isn't nearly as pronounced. The smell that remains reminds me EXACTLY of the smell inside Tesoro's, a funky little imports shop in downtown Austin, which carries a lot of Mexican art and craft stuff.

It's a neat scent, very unusual. Not sure if it's something I'll want a bottle of, but I'll definitely use up the imp; it has the potential to grow on me.

My second review on the second BPAL scent that I tried (courtesey of Blood onmy Hands :P )... I am usually not this orderly!

At any rate, Centzon Totochtin smelled . . . interesting . . . on me. Though I'm new at 'note detection', I was definitely picking up on the cocoa and the wine out of the vial, and wet on my skin, but a few minutes after I put it on, it simply smelled... strange. Not really what I go for. I tried to narrow it down, but as the time went by and the scent wore on I started smelling more and more like a GUMDROP. weird! That's my closest scent association to the end result on my skin. And it wasn't just any gumdrop, it was one of the PURPLE sugar coated spiced gumdrops. Maybe it was the blood mixing with the cocoa that made this peculiar and interesting scent? Not sure, will have to try more imps with a 'blood' component, but... not what I'm going for when I put on perfume. For fairness sake, I did try this one twice, but unless it miraculously grows on me, it's in my swap pile. :closedeyes: