Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Rising Sun. She is Ostara, Easter, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of fertility and the dawn. She is a protector and friend to all children. Her scent is that of softly glowing skin, jasmine, buttercup and honeysuckle.

Oooh, it's a kissing cousin to the amazing New Orleans!

In the imp: Ah, sunny spring beauty. Lots of people have hit the nail on the head--it smells like Easter, it smells yellow. It reminds me a lot of NO. The honeysuckle is strong, and oddly enough, I can't really pick up on the jasmine.

Wet: Wow, this is strong! I'm trying on a few things at a time (because I am bereft of patience), and this overwhelms them at first. I should not be surprised, as my skin ratchets up jasmine. However, I still smell honeysuckles as the predominant note.

Dry-down and wear: I'm with SeaMonkey; this really is a less-intense NO. Eos doesn't quite have the intensity--the "humidity"--of NO, but it has those lovely honeysuckles. Since I just got a bottle of NO, I will probably hold off on placing this on my bottle list, but it is beautiful, and I am sure I will turn to this imp a lot during late March and April. Edited by Shollin

:P

This is the smell of the peak of summer during my childhood, with the honeysuckle everywhere and the buttercups and hyacinths my mother planted in the garden and floating in the pond. This is a gorgeous scent, what I wished my skin smelled like on its own! :D I'll definitely get a bottle of this at some point.

Wet: Jasmine! And some other flowers.

Dry: The sweetness of honeysuckle balances the jasmine nicely and also there is a light, smooth, buttery scent in the background.

Final: Gorgeous springtime floral, heady with jasmine but well tempered by the other elements.

I loooove this oil. It's like sunlight on my wrist.

All three notes play a part evenly from first application to drydown. Its sweet yet not sugarly or overbearing yet somehow powerful. It also has good staying power and the fragrance wafts well (I love O but I had to smell my skin, basically put my nose on my wrist to get a hint of scent).

It is the perfect Spring and Summer Scent.

I am so glad I bought a big bottle.

Eos almost jumped the jasmine shark but misjudged and fell into the crashing jaws of that bully of the floral fishtank, jasmine.

It became soapy after the first few minutes, as jasmine tends to do on me, and I had to wash it off.

In the bottle: Uh-oh, jasmine. Smells a lot sharper than I expected from the description.

On me: how I hate jasmine. The scent started off slightly sharp and seemed like it wouldn't cave in, but then: powdery powdery sigh. And it wouldn't fade, even when I scrubbed my wrists.

Eos smells like afterglow to me. Like that lovely, warm, skin scent you get after sex. It's very sunny and warm. The jasmine and honeysuckle are the predominant notes from the start, and the scent doesn't change much upon dry down. Really lovely, skin scent - almost like the less voluptuous version of New Orleans, as has been said.

Eos

In the imp: an interesting, bittersweet, slightly incensy and dry jasmine scent, which actually reminds me of a candle I have (but it's not your typical jasmine candle scent!)

Wet on skin: mmm, I think I get honeysuckle mingling with jasmine, with a hint of green.

Dry on skin: very pretty! It's soft, heady jasmine with dewy, crisp, greenish honeysuckle, and another note that may be buttercup, along with the soft skin musk. It's a gentle spring scent, but its more than just that. There's also something deeper, sharper, almost bittersweet about it, it has something almost smoky to it, like jasmine incense or like the candle I have…this may be the 'skin' scent doing this, probably a kind of musk. Or maybe it's the buttercup-a note I'm not 100% familiar with, I'm assuming it's the greener note in here.

After a while: I get a slight candle-smoke feel from this scent. It's very nice but unexpected-it does add a muted grey or smoky aspect. Overall, the scent is a soft jasmine and honeysuckle with sweet musk (the skin-musk note is a bit baby oil-ish but that's no bad thing, I quite like that!) with the scent of candles blown out after the night has ended and the remains of faded incense.

The final drydown of this isn't so nice. I've noticed that a lot of times, the BPAL honeysuckle note tends to smell a bit dry and harsh after a few hours despite smelling fresh and dewy when just dry-it does that in here, I'm afraid.

Verdict: at first, I was a bit surprised at this scent-I was expecting a heady, dewy, spring like floral scent, but I got strangely bittersweet, smoky, muted scent…it's a skin-musk, reminiscent of baby oil and candle smoke, unusual yet strangely pleasant. Against this smooth, mysterious background, the jasmine and honeysuckle alternate as to which is the strongest note. It's a scent that reminds me of the last candles of the night blown out as day breaks, soft grey dawn mists, muted blossoms and blushing fragrant skin. I'm not as keen on the drydown, which has that dry, green, harsh, tart scent that BPAL honeysuckle scents sometimes turn to on me. I do like this scent, but not as much as I expected I would. I'm not sure whether to keep it or swap/sell it…maybe it will be nice as room fragrance.

Another good surprise from the Lab. Just when I thought I couldn't wear their jasmine notes.....

Eos dries into a soft light floral with a little smoky undertone. It's floral, but not overly sweet. Maybe it's the honeysuckle (one of my fave plants) or maybe the "warm skin" added so the jasmine doesn't have to fool with "my" skin.

Eos makes a fine springtime comfort scent.

For once, the jasmine did not elbow its way to the front of the room and flash me. This went on as a heady bouquet of buttercups, and stayed that way for several hours. Now, four hours on, I can smell the jasmine, but it's muted by the other notes. This is a very pretty, girly scent, which totally isn't my thing, except...growing up, my mother always had tons of daffodils planted everywhere.

This reminds me so much of home that I think I must keep the imp and wear it when I'm feeling homesick. :P

Well, this is another one that was thrown in for free. This was not a good scent for me. Right from the start, it was cloying and slightly off. It never fell into softness or subtlety, but just kept powering away. I think if it had just been buttercup and honeysuckle, it would have been great, but the jasmine kept throwing everything into overdrive.

Just in time for Spring :-)

Scent in bottle: sort of generic yellow-white floral and a very light musk

Scent on me:

Wet -- Oooo! No more generic florals! Now it's sweet, sweet daffodil and honeysuckle.

Dry -- Daffodil and honeysuckle and jasmine and yum!

Conclusion: Very evocative of Eos, and smells glorious on me. I'll save this one for winter, when I need to remember that flowers exist.

This is so pretty! It's a light, soft, warm floral - just like a springtime scent should be. The honeysuckle is dominant on me, but dominant hardly feels like the right word, since this scent is just so...soft! That's not to say you can't smell it, because you can - it just has a nice, gentle wafting quality rather than a HI I'M WEARING FLORAL PERFUME kind of thing, you know? It reminds me of sunny fields of flowers. I love it, and I think it's the perfect spring scent.

I have been waiting so long to try this, and finally, right before Beltane, it is here for me to try.

This is really sharp on the jasmine at first. I am so sad. :P

It dries down to a very true honeysuckle, but the jasmine is staying a bit sour, like it always does on me.

Dried out, I am trying to fight of the "this smells like a pantyliner" impulse to swap. There is a bit of sweet musk poking out...I think I like it...

The jury is still out.

Initially, I mostly get jasmine from Eos - not a good sign, since jasmine really doesn't like me much. But as it begins to dry down, miraculously, something sweet and soft and warm takes over, smoothing the jasmine out and keeping it from going acrid the way that it usually does on my skin. I can definitely smell the honeysuckle, which is a scent I'm fond of, and whatever that underlying note is I really do get an impression of the "softly glowing skin" from the lab description.

After some time to dry down on me, it becomes something similar to Tamora, but without ever being nearly so crawl-up-my-nose sweet, just that softly glowing golden warmth.

Florals are really hit and miss with me, but Eos definitely hits.

Softness and dreamy warmth, like a quiet sunrise. It's very subtle, a soft of 'skin warmth' like lounging around in bed. The honeysuckle is wonderful, adding a quiet sweetness to the mix.

In the vial: Jasminey jasmine.

On me, wet: Heavily perfumed jasmine with something lighter in the background. That must be the buttercup and honeysuckle. It's extremely flowery, and a little cloyingly heavy.

On me, dry: Fading somewhat, thank heavens, but the cloyingness remains and is now perfumey perfume. And then the entire smell disappears completely. Where'd it go? Wait! I think I may be able to detect the buttercup, but it's so shy. Fight off that jasmine, buttercup!

Verdict: This ends up rather pretty, but you have to suffer through the wallop of jasmine first, and I'm just not that into flowers to wear this, I guess. Sorry, Eos.

Ah jasmine, my old enemy.

This is my second showdown with jasmine tonight; this one is going much better than the last batttle did. The jasmine is this blend, while obvious in the imp, is knocked out by the other two florals when it's dry, making Eos a rather pretty yellow floral on my skin.

It reminds me of a perfume I used to wear, but this sort of floral is not really my style these days. It is good to know that there's a jasmine blend I can wear, though.

i get jasmine (i like jasmine, but it CAN be overpowering)... and, YES, my favorite! honeysuckle!

This smells similar to something else i love... Ligeia, I think? *getting confused*. it is a VERY strong jasmine, though... so, for people that don't like that, this may be one to avoid!

as for me? I'm digging it (even though my other wrist is SO fighting me with the soapy insanity that Catherine turned into... back down, soap!!)

p.s. the jasmine has mellowed out a bit more, to give way to more honeysuckle. YAY!

Edited by eviltemptressdq

In the bottle: A light, sweet jasmine with a slightly green buttercup note.

Wet: Jasmine, full on, of the plasticky kind. Sigh. There's also a musky scent in here, skin, nice. It gets sweeter as it dries down.

Drydown: It veers between a pleasant jasmine/buttercup/honeysuckle combo and icky dry jasmine. I don't know if I'm getting skin or what, but at times, it smells a bit dirty and powdery, as jasmine sometimes goes on me. At others, it's smooth and sweet like honey. Hm.

Overall: It veers between powdery-dirty and oversweet, without ever getting the balance right. The jasmine is pretty pungent, and it's the type of jasmine that doesn't work well with me. It's a pity, I really wanted to love this one, and it does smell incredibly yellow when it's in the bottle.

This Lab freebie is honeysuckle right out of the gate, and that's the way it stays. This is, as others have said, a 'yellow' scent. It's warm and thoroughly pleasant, but I'm not into florals. However, there is a nice bonus effect: it reminds me of some honeysuckle-scented Avon something-or-other my Mom had years ago. Smelling this, I took a nice little trip down Memory Lane, recalling how, as a kid, I used to love to lock myself in the bathroom and 'experiment' with Mom's girly stuff: applying and peeling off strawberry facial mask gel, using big fluffy powder puffs to apply scented powders with a gratifying POOF, dissolving bath beads in the sink, etc. Fun times.

So, while Eos doesn't do it for me as a scent to wear, it scores high marks for nostalgia value. I gave the imp to Mom and hope she'll enjoy it.

in the vial:

Honeysuckle, ahoy. Thick and sweet floral.

wet:

A slightly-heavy floral that is pretty but not remarkable. Smells clean and soapy after a few minutes.

dry:

Oh, jasmine. Please go away. I think this would be a very pretty blend without the sticky heaviness of the jasmine. Eos is reminiscent of Delerium for me in a certain way, although they don't share any notes. The jasmine plus other heavy florals gives this scent a sort of plastic-y, headache-inducing quality, while simultaneously smelling of soap, the same thing I got with Delerium.

season: very much a springy scent.

office-friendly? it's a bit heavy, but not too much. So yes.

overall:

I've tried this one a couple times, and I like the description and I like the idea of buttercup, because it seems like such a cheerful flower. But...this just isn't going to work on me due to the jasmine overpowering everything else, so I have to pass it along.

OriginImp purchased from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I love honeysuckle, jasmine is okay, and I have no idea or memory of what buttercup smells like.

In the Bottle: Definitely jasmine, something which isn't honeysuckle and therefore is probably the buttercup. The honeysuckle is very faint in the background.

Wet: The honeysuckle comes rushing forth, immediately transporting me back to elementary school days and the gatherings at the fence at recess in May and June to smell and sip from the honeysuckle blossoms.

Drydown: It stays very strongly honeysuckle, with an undertone of jasmine.

Verdict: Yay! I found a wonderful honeysuckle blend!

bottle:

sweet floral

wet:

same- heavy jasmine/honeysuckle

dry:

same - very heavy floral! Nice, but not my style.

overall:

Nice but heavier floral than I like!

rating: 5/10