Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Gingerbread and Lavender Sugar

[No additional description provided.]

In The Bottle: This one is sweet, rich, slightly creamy and just a hair spicy upon first sniff. The lavender is definitely present, but not at the forefront.

Wet On Skin: Lavender sugar is most of what's happening here, I can't say I'm really getting the gingerbread much, but this isn't the same as the lavender sugar I experience with TKO, let's say. I think the gingerbread is softening the lavender somehow, though it's not exactly foodie, though it IS slightly sugary.

Dry Down: That has, in fact, become a daytime-wearable version of TKO. I get no gingerbread (the inverse of Gingerbread, Coffebean and Smoked Vanilla- so perplexing!) just a lovely, soft sugary lavender. Very comforting, this is a scent easily work during the day and I anticipate reaching for it to mix with some similarly comforting scents, like the 2017 re-release of Antique Lace.

Lovely! ❤️ 

Sweet lavender scents are my thing, so there was no way I was passing this up. I knew it was the gingerbread scent for me.

And it is. Gingerbread and Lavender Sugar? More like LAVENDER SUGAR and gingerbread. :dance:

The lavender sugar is strongest note, in the bottle and upon application. Then the gingerbread emerges, and it's like those thin Swedish ginger snaps. It's heavy on the ginger (which almost has a lemony aspect to it) and spices and does not read as a fluffy type of gingerbread to my nose. I thought the gingerbread in this disappeared in less than an hour, but it actually weaves in and out of the scent. When it's around, it just adds a bit of soft, gingerbread-y spice in the background. Otherwise, it's all about the lavender sugar. The lavender in the lavender sugar is a soft variety, and I just love the lavender sugar so much. :heart:  I can see VioletChaos' comparison to TKO, which is one of my favorite scents. There's no marshmallow here, but if you're a fan of TKO, there's a good chance you'll enjoy this as well.

Needless to say, I absolutely adore Gingerbread and Lavender Sugar, and I think fans of sweet lavender scents will not be disappointed. Those looking for more gingerbread may have better luck with another one of this year's offerings, though, as the gingerbread is not the star here.

Gingerbread & Lavender Sugar

In the Bottle:

Sweet lavender, but not in an "herby" way, like candied - creamed lavender

On My Skin, Wet:

Sugar!! SUGAR!!

Mellows out quickly, then I get that lovely sweet lavender again - it does have a creamy quality to it, without invoking dairy though (which is nice, IMHO)

I detect just a tiny amount spice, it's like a waft coming from another room

On My Skin, Dry:

Creamy sweet lavender, with a pop of spice here and there.

The spice is not quite 'gingerbread' but it does have ginger characteristics, just not the bread characteristics....maybe a bit of aging is in order.

Verdict:

I :evol:this one!

I just adore the Lab's Lavender note, and I eat my weight in gingerbread treats this season - seemed like a perfect match for a Yule offering (and it is!)

BPTP - if you are reading this - this perfume would make a PHENOMENAL hair gloss!

::hint, hint, nudge, nudge::

Creamy lavender with a whiff of spice. So yeah, its mainly lavender, with a bit of gingerbread coming though. Mmm, sleepy Yule blend! Good throw and wear length.

This smells a lot to me like the creamy mallow-sugar-lavender combination in De Vos' Unicorn, plus a little not-very-foody gingerbread.

Didn't expect to smell mallow based on the above reviews, but it's definitely more sugary lavender than gingerbread. I'm glad I picked this up!

This is lovely. Upon application it’s sugary lavender, but as it dries down the Gingerbread (which I concur is lemony) adds a spicy, smoky note to this so it isn’t too sweet. It’s also light, so it never overwhelms. I bought a decant but this will be a full bottle purchase for sure. 

ETA: I fell hard for this one and after this initial review wound up ordering not one, but two backup bottles. I love it that much.

Edited by frizzlechicken

On me, the lavender smells more like the one in Puppet Kitty than in TKO. Otherwise, I agree with other reviewers -- a sweet lavender scent with the barest hint of lemony gingerbread warmth in the background. Decent throw and longevity.  

I get lavender with sugar cookies in the background. I would describe it as a lavender, sugar, cream, and spice, in that order. As it wore on, I would get strong whiffs of ginger, but not the mix of spices I associate with gingerbread. While very sweet, it's not as foodie as I was anticipating. I was hoping for a more spicy gingerbread with lavender icing scent, and this is not it to me. It's still a very cozy and warm, sugary scent. But I would describe it as a big bouquet of lavender, sitting next to some fresh baked sugar cookies, and whoever baked them spilled some ginger somewhere in the kitchen.

Wet: Creamy, sugary lavender, and cookies. It's not reading as gingerbread at all to me; more like a sugar cookie or something. I'm also getting a small whiff of lemon.

Dry: I'm seriously confused as to how much I like this. :lol:  It's like a sugar cookie with a light, but fragrant, lemon-lavender sugar glaze. (This is not OVERLY sweet, mind you; don't be afraid of the sugar!)

Not going to lie, I grabbed a decant of this because I though it sounded interesting, and not because I thought it was something I'd really like. Oh, how wrong I was! This is one of my favorite 2018 Yule blends.

Ok, so this was a confusing scent to me so I kinda tossed my review to the side and was like whatever, and went on about my day. And then later, I found myself thinking "Who has freaking fruit loops right now?".

My arm does. That's who. Smells like fruit loops. Solved.

Now, that doesn't mean it smells fruity, it does not. But are fruit loops actually fruity? No. No they're not. They're bready cereal and like, sweet shit. Anyways - this was a surprise hit for me. Lavender is cheating because it always softens my core and makes me adore scents, and sugar makes it nice and sweet, and the gingerbread base gives it a spicey roundness. Like gourmet fruit loops. I'm 90% sure I've said that phrase before about another BPAL lol.

This is a lovely scent. I'll probably pass on a bottle buy because I already have a few lavender sweet go-tos. But if this were to come up in a swap offer I'd take it :D.

A soft sweet lavender, without much morphing, only softening and smoothing.

This reminds me of the Lavender in puppet kitty, but without any of the other notes, leading for a much softer, sweeter lavender experience.

The gingerbread is almost non-existant, and to my nose it smells like a lavender cookie, with a faint lemon glaze that melts off over the day, leaving a sugar-sweet lavender finish.

It's so good, I don't know if lavender tea is a thing that exists, but if it it it's a cup of that with 3 spoonfulls of sugar in it. 

The throw is fairly low on me, it occasionally is perceptible, but this one hangs strong close to the skin, and is a wonderfully sweet calming experience!

I likely will not need a bottle, but I will treasure this decant, and add it to my collection of comforting scents, or things I can wear when I don't want to be BLAM in your face. 

I'd recommend it if you are a lavender fan, but not if you were expecting gingerbread spice, as those are barely there and burn off very quickly with the lemony feel. But if a lavender drink with a shortbread cookie besides it sounds like your cup of tea, you might want to give this a try

I initially passed on this one, as I do have a lot of lavender blends.  After reading reviews, I managed to snag a few decants, and I'm not disappointed.  Floral lavender with sweet ginger goes nicely together, and I really like this, and may hunt down more.  The only complaint is that it is a fast fader, but  I hope time can help to remedy this.

Edited by milo

In the bottle, the combination of sweet and herbal makes me think of some indie brand of ginger ale, emphasizing that it's Made with Real Ginger! Somehow it's soft and sharp at the same time, pleasantly so. As others have suggested, the ginger fades off a lot on skin, so I mostly get sweet lavender with just a fuzzy little bump of spice in the background. Subtle, cozy.