Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Gingerbread Oudh

[No additional description provided.]

In The Bottle: The same slightly-lemon ginger-y gingerbread I got from another in this series, with coffee bean and smoked vanilla. As with that scent, the only thing I get from first sniff in the bottle is the gingerbread and no supporting characters.

Wet On Skin: INTERESTING. Rather than the death-cologne version of oudh that sometimes happens with my skin or the yummy incense version, I get neither- instead I'm getting a death of spice that's adding to the gingerbread whilst taking away its foodie aspect.

Dry Down: This reminds me *strongly* of one of the really old Tree of Life / Kabala scents from around 2005 or 2006. It's definitely not Hod but I'm not sure which one it's reminding me of. There's something that reads as intense and meaningful and spiritual about this, though, which is sometimes an aspect of oudh that gets overlooked I think. It feels like there's a reverence that it carries, something that I'm going to reach for during this long, cold winter ahead on grey days when I need to remember that winter is a necessary time of contemplation. Beautiful and deep, like Frost's vision of a winter forest at nightfall.

Warm ginger-spice and incense. It gets a little smoky char around the edges for about the first twenty minutes, but that dissipates. Not especially foodie, not particularly sweet. Just warm and comforting.

Sadly, this doesn't last very long on my skin.

Such a wearable, sophisticated gingerbread! It's not too foody or funky. I find it to be like Shub light: kind of lemony with fresh ginger, incensey with dried ginger and other spices, and a little bit of woody depth that also kind of smells...human...in a cozy way. Medium sillage and wear length. Definately a keeper.

Musky, bready. A bit of molassesy gingerbread. More just 'bready' though. I think this is the least successful at smelling like gingerbread out of all the Gingerbread + Whatever blends from this release.. Really only a bit of molasses, and a bit of ginger.

The oudh is very woodsy with some muskiness, and incense. But that woodsiness kind of smells like pencil shavings. Not the best iteration of oudh that I've smelled even from BPAL.

Something about the combo has an oddly savory funk to it. The pencil shavings smell and the savory bread. Something about that combo register as 'weird meat' to my nose in an odd way. Thankfully that's mostly on wrist sniff.

Overall a dud on me, but it's entirely possible and likely that my chemistry just took this scent and beat it to hell.

In vial: Lemony, not-quite-foodie gingerbread, not very sweet.

On me: Warm, slightly sweetened, lightly spiced, citrusy gingerbread, definitely the most lemony of the 2018 gingerbreads I tried. The oudh is distinct but difficult to pin down, a grounding resinous wood which develops as the scent wears: a sweet resin with a touch of wood and a breath of pine. It works well alongside the warm, smooth golden-brown of the gingerbread. It feels like a variant on the traditional Christmas spices + pine: spices which are more golden and less foodie; a pine which is more resinous and unique. But I concur that with mishi-bear above that the combo can go savory--I got more of it fresh out of the mail (so maybe aging will further tame it), but sometimes there's an impression of Indian restaurant-esque savory spices. Throw is low.

Verdict: Interesting! As noted, I imagine aging will benefit this; I like the non-traditional traditional combo. But it didn't really grab me.

Toasted vanilla gingerbread and woody, resiny oudh, and a distant pine note to keep it from being too dark. 

Bready and smokey. Definitely a holiday scent but with a twist. This would be a spectacular candle.

Not remotely foodie on me.  Gingery incense.  Surprisingly...sexy.  Moderate throw and lasts a good long while.

Edited by yewberry
Too many too manys

Earthy and root like on me, not anywhere close to being foodie. This is still a ginger scent, but very subdued and earthy. The oud part of the scent reminds me more of a toned down vetiver or patchouli. I was hoping for a more earthy, spicy foodie scent, so this surprised me by going way past that. Overall: subdued and very earthy ginger.