Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
donkehpoo

Blueberry Sufganiyot

Blueberry-filled sufganiyot, blooping blue with jelly.

GUYS. Guys. Not to sound (too) dramatic, but I've been DYING for a blueberry sufganiyot scent. 

I am beyond excited to get my hands on this and try it out.

Wet: Very rich blueberries! Like a rich blueberry jelly or jam. There's a slight hint of a pastry note, but the blueberry jelly is pretty strong.

Dry: I'm trying to think of a word that's better than "delicious" but I'm coming up short. This is an incredible, rich, blueberry jelly donut scent. While the blueberry jelly scent is still stronger than the pastry note, it's much more prevalent when the scent dries down. 

I had stupidly high expectations for this scent, and I'm not disappointed at all. I may need a backup bottle, which is rare for me. :heart:

I've just been JAMMED. (... at Jamm Orthodontics.)

This is every bit as scrumptious as the name and description say. I put some on in the early afternoon and could still smell the sugary, fried-doughy, blueberry-gooey goodness at bedtime. I've tried all the previous Sufganiyots, and Blueberry is second only to Strawberry, for me.

So, I've thus far loved all incarnations of the Sufganiyot scents AND I love blueberry, so I'm RATHER excited to give this one a whirl!

In The Bottle: Why, yes, that IS rather a large bloop of blueberry! It's definitely of the "blueberry jam" variety and not a fresh blueberry. I get a teeeeeeeny edge of fried dough, just off the end. My mouth is already starting to water!

Wet On Skin: The blueberry is SO strong that it's nearly verging on becoming grape hubba bubba bubblegum. Nearly- but not quite! It's a very sugary fruit for sure. The fried dough has left, though I'm hoping that's temporary.

Dry Down: Hmmm. This is less blueberry donut and more blueberries and custard. I can tell that the fried dough is trying- really trying! -to come on out, and it's possible that the bottle just needs more time to rest or age. I like it in that it fills the hole (no pun intended) that I had for a good blueberry jam scent, but it's lacking the fruit-fried-dough combination that I consider the hallmark of the other Sufganiyot scents. I'll give it a change to shift over the next month, but I might trade my backup bottle away...

ETA: It's about 35 minutes later and at LAST, the fried dough has arrived! I honestly don't know if it's just a matter of needing to read / age more or what, but whatever the cause, this Blueberry has become a true Sufganiyot at last- yaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!

Edited by VioletChaos

I have absolutely loved all of the Sufganiyot scents, and I love all of the blueberry scents, so I was super excited to try this one - and it’s delicious and amazing and fun.  

And it lasts - I put it on at bedtime and could still smell a tiny bit of blueberry the next morning.  Love! 

I really love it, however there is a weird hour period in after it’s dried that kind of smells like grape but, wet it’s sweet blueberry jam and then after that initial hour the dry down is a stunning custardy-sugary-berry blob that kind of makes me hungry

A ton of blueberry jelly and a whiff of pastry. If that's your sort of thing, than my friends, look no further. Good throw and wear length.

the Strawberry Sufganiyot is one of my top 50 BPAL scents, ever. might be top 25.  fresh blueberries are ok but in muffins and baked goods, so yum! (and, to be honest, even artificially blueberry flavoured things like cereal and instant oatmeal are fine by me, too) 

Spoiler

this is the first holiday season without my Daddy, and i've reached for my phone a couple of times today to call him, and the sadness has been hitting me fresh over and over. so i've been crying and really i'm only just barely holding myself together.  so my skin is probably wonkier than usual and i'm probably not in the best place to be trying things, but i had been so looking forward to this one that i couldn't resist.

i had braces for 9 years, and had it drilled into me to not chew gum, so i never was much of a gum chewer.  it hurts now, and i wasn't supposed to then.

but boy did i love the smell of it, back in high school.

and this, on me, smells like sun-warmed grape bubblegum, leaning towards the Blueberry Muffin doll from my Strawberry Shortcake collection. so a little bit grape bubblegum, and a little bit plastic doll-head, with eau de faux blueberry.

i might just like it more because of that, than if it had actually smelled like blueberry pastry on me.

Yeah, BPAL ain't kiddin' about that giant bloop of blueberry.

This is stewed, cooked blueberries - a really powerful blueberry preserves note. Pretty much a single note.

It scared me a little at first until I remembered that the other Sufganiyots were super-heavy on the tart fruit at first, too, but as they settled and aged, the sugar and donut aspects of the scents became more prominent and eventually turned into something perfectly balanced. 

I feel like this is worth holding onto for that beautiful sugar-dusted donut hiding under all that blueberry, that will eventually make itself known and bring out the best in its fruit companion.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

I got a decant of this to try, because some fruity notes don't sit well with my body chemistry (they can go too sweet or plastic-y) but this is awesome. It's a burst of strong blueberry but has baked good note mixed in which must be the fried dough. Wear was long and strong and it mellowed into a really nice cloud of baked blueberries. Will definitely buy a bottle.

This is pretty tasty.  More heavy on the "blueberry" than the sufganiyot, and the blueberry is definitely blooping.  It smells sugary and kinda fake, but in the best jelly filling sort of way.  After it's been on a while, I almost get something floral mixed in there.  I haven't been huge on the sufganiyots, b/c they've been a bit too foody for my tastes.  This one is tempting me though b/c it's just so darn fun.  Like, that blue candy smell but very smooth and wearable, with a hint of sugary donut softening the edges.

Edited by VetchVesper

So - full disclosure I'm really tentative about pastry and baked goods scents. When I first got into BPAL I swarmed over them, because I would LOVE those scents in theory, but every single one turns ... weird on me. I think my skin just doesn't work well with most pastry stuff. Toffee/caramel and pastry especially.

But my all-time favorite BPAL scent in the universe is Crawdad Dreams, because of that BLUEBERRY smack. Blueberry is apparently my Spirit Scent and I will go to the ends of the earth to roll in it. So, I gambled on this one fully expecting the pastry thing to take it all wonky.

But Oh. My. God. This is the best flipping blueberry scent ever. It's fantastic. Blueberry done right has this almost buttery quality to it? So when combined with "fried dough" I do think it tends to take over and become one. But I do not care. I was trying out a few scents at once (I know, but it's a quick way to cull scents and then try others more thoroughly for me lol). And after I was done testing and just had awkward arms, this one kept billowing to the surface.

It's wet, sweet in a natural kind of way, blueberry as blueberry can get, buttery, and dreamy. The throw was fantastic, but not cloying. 24 hours later I can still smell remnants on my arm. That's incredible. So, I'm off to stockpile this one for my soul.

In Love.

The fried dough note is pretty nice and realistic. It doesn't smell too 'oily' but definitely is a fried bread smell. 

The blueberry note isn't bad, not the most realistic blueberry, but it serves the scent well, but it does kind of smother out the dough scent.

Overall pretty straightforward and not bad but didn't grab me much.

Strong, sugary, jammy blueberry. I'm always excited for blueberry scents, and this one actually reminds me a little of the Blue Phoenix prototype I love (although that one has more vanilla and less blueberry, to my nose).

I LOVE Strawberry Sufganiyot, and this definitely has a similar feel, although the balance of the notes is different for me. Blueberry is stronger on the fruit/jam, while Strawberry is a bit heavier on the pastry note. The blueberry is very thick and sweet and definitely the star of the show here. Doesn't change much as it dries, which is fine by me. Good throw and lasting power, too!

Smells like a 7th grader's lipgloss. Kind of like a Lipsmacker. Kind of plastic-y. 

Has a sharp, astringent note to it. 

It's nowhere near any kind of realistic berry note.

...Why do I still kinda like it anyway?

edit: I kind of want to layer this with Eat the Strawberries from the American Gods line.

edit 3.8.19 - This is starting to smell a lot like Monster Bait: Bloody Mary. I put it on and instantly remembered that scent. I think it's the powdered sugar note?

Edited by cinderfallen

I've never had a sufganiyot before (I honestly didn't even know they existed before BPAL as we're not the most 'traditional' Jewish family, and my mom can't have gluten anyway so Chanukah's been latkes-only here for a long time) but BPAL's Suf perfumes seem pretty sought-after so I picked up a leftover decant on a whim. I don't really have anything predominantly blueberry yet anyway, so why not, right?

I can vaguely smell something pastry-adjacent in the imp, but it vanishes the moment it hits my skin in favor of BLURPLE. Whenever I buy titanium jewelry I tend to go for the anodized 'blurple' color, not quite blue but not pure purple either. This scent is that color perfumified, and it's LOUD. Super sweet, super fruity, super sticky jam, rich and syrupy. I want to top some pancakes with it. Maybe just lick my arm... no, let's not do that. I've learned my lesson already. And yet, for as tasty as it smells, it's still fairly single-note and not something I see myself wanting to wear often. I don't really want people thinking I spilled jam on myself.

The intensity drops off dramatically after an hour, then lingers for a good long time. Might be worth picking up a decant of one of the pancake scents to layer this with...

In the bottle, not quite as pastry-heavy as Raspberry or Black Currant Suf. Fruit is definitely front and center, and a bit adolescent, like candy. I don't think it's as real fruit-like as blueberry cream pie, it's more fun and light-hearted. Pastry note really comes out stronger in blueberry cream pie, too. I'd say, if you want a sweet fruit candy, this fits the bill. It's also great for layering. Surprisingly, I layered it with Ian. LOVE!

In the decant I get both the blueberry and a faint hint of the pastry note. When applied, I get a rush of WHOA BLUEBERRY. It's a mix of realistic, bubbling, bake blueberry, and an artificial blueberry note. That said, it's not at all unpleasant. As it dries, I get a creamy note, though I don't think sufganiyot have cream in them typically? I could be wrong. This smells almost like a really nice blueberry cheesecake. I enjoy this a lot, but it is very sweet and very foody, so if that's not your thing, this will not be. I get great throw and standard wear length.

i’ve had this for a while, but never wrote a review, so here goes ~ 

this smells VERY purple on me. it’s really similar to purple / grape cough syrup, and i mean that in the best way possible. i LOVE it. 

this is my favorite scent from BPAL i have tried so far, and the throw / longevity is fantastic - especially when i rub it onto my sweater, i can smell it for days. 🫐🫐🫐💙

My review is testing this based off of a tester.

At first, I thought it was mislabeled? Because I got some strawberry jam from it with a very realistic jammy strawberry note, but with blueberry along with it. Eventually the blueberry overtakes any secret strawberry, and it is very much jammy blueberry with only a hint of pastry. I have not tried all of the Sufs (in fact, I skipped most of them as I generally am not big on berry-dominant scents!), but this one seems like it has less pastry compared to some of the others I have tried. I fortunately am not getting grape from it, but maybe that's just because it was an aged tester.

I think this is nice, but not something I need to hunt down more of (phew!). 😅