Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nepthys

Frostbitten Zombi

[No additional description provided.]

I was really excited for this, as I just loved last Yule's Frostbitten Snake Oil. However, this one was a surprise. I get a faint whiff of Zombi's soil note, but normally wouldn't identify the root as Zombi. Instead this comes off as a beautiful winter forest scent of gentle snow and pine trees and clear air. Imagine walking through a snowy forest on a calm afternoon and you've got this. Throw is average. On the whole, this isn't what I expected but I absolutely love it.

Everything that Nepthys said ^. This is surprisingly different from my "cold Zombi" expectations and wholly gorgeous. Very sweet, the snow must amp the rose and I thought I was imaging sweet pine sap but it must be there if someone else detects it too. I really was not expecting to want a backup bottle or two.

If Zombi by itself feels too somber or goth af for you and you don't really want to walk around smelling like a funeral, you may want to give Frostbitten Zombi a try.

Frostbitten Zombi is stronger on the frostbitten component than the Zombi. I get some moss, dirt, and rose (the rose comes out after a few minutes and ends up being a prominent note on me along with the snow for some time), but the frostbitten component is the star here, and I think it's a powdery, somewhat sweet, pine-y, and perhaps benzoin-y snow. It does give the impression of being in a pine forest blanketed by soft, powdery snow, with clusters of moss beneath your feet, a little bit of soil clinging to your boots, and whiffs of your rose perfume being carried on the cool air. There was a brief cooling sensation on my skin at one point, but it was short-lived. The snow and moss notes end up being the most prominent aspects of the scent on me after several hours of wear.

This is completely different from what I expected as well, but in a good way. It's not a lurking-in-the-graveyard-in-winter-at-midnight type of scent. It's strangely comforting, like a snowy, foresty hug in a bottle. I am really glad I grabbed this one.

Piney-snow, hints of dirt, moss and roses. This one is a definitely piney snow note. Good throw and wear length.

Pine, snow, and dirt, in that order. In the beginning, it is very piney and it mellows out as it wears. Also, the 'frostbitten' note starts off more, what I would describe as silvery, on me, later softening to the Lab's snow note I'm familiar with. The Lab's 'snow' scent reminds me of cotton laundry, where I would describe the initial 'frost' scent to velvet laundry, if that makes sense at all.

Lastly, as it wears, I get some type of sweet note come through, though it does not overpower the pine or snow, it more adds to the dirt part of the scent. It's not the rose I get in regular Zombi, but more like a sweet root, almost a fruit note.

This is... really NOT Zombi smelling to me at all. Was expecting Zombi + snow, instead this is really its own entirely different beast, that just happens to have a few notes in common with Zombi.

The snow note in this one is distinctly pine like initially, with something lemony to it as well. It's quite sharp on application, but becomes more mild with dry time.

There is that rose note. But while in plain Zombi it did smell dried to me, here it smells a lot softer, lusher, and more perfumey. The florals smell chilly, but alive. I think the more sour quality of the rose is eaten up by the slightly astringent pine note in the Frost blend. 

There is some kind of woodsy combination at the base of this that just screams 'Christmas scent' to me that I just can't place. It's not spicy, just woodsy. It does mostly fade away.

The pine note becomes a lot less astringent in the dry down. It gives way for a much softer and sweeter snow note to appear. It is definitely NOT the Snow White snow note though. This is definitely aquatic, but sweet, soft, chilly, and fluffy.

More of the dirt note from Zombi manages to come forward at this point as well. It's a distinctly sweet earth note, but definitely earthy. I quite like it. It smells damp and cold from the Frost note as well.

With even more dry time, I do think there is a white floral to the snow note, but a very mild one. Likely some sort of lily. It does make the scent a bit more soapy, specifically like Ivory soap, when it appears, but it's not overpowering.

Overall this one goes through quite a few interesting stages. I do like the final stage, but I think I actually prefer some of the middle ones more. This is definitely a pretty successful transmutation of a classic GC scent into something else though, and definitely feels distinct enough from plain old Zombi to be worth owning both.