Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Astarte

Kurukulla

The Tibetan goddess of love and wealth. Her scent is a harmonious, sweet, enchanting blend of three lotus blooms and three roses.

In the imp, sweet rose with the lotus providing an almost bubblegum like note underneath.

Wet, this is much better. The sweetness and the bubblegum thing had me a little worried. Now all the flowers are behaving...this is lovely.

Dry, this is beautiful in it's simplicity. The flowers meld together so beautifully...nothing overpowering, or too complicated to separate. And yet, there is no need to want to try and classify, because in and of itself, it's beautiful. It's obviously an unabashed pure floral, so probably one that I won't wear too often, but I will at least be keeping the imp for those days that I want to revel in this particular brand of sweetness.

In the vial: fruit and roses. Mmmm!

Wet: rose candy! Some kind of fruit syrup like pear? Maybe baked pear and roses. Yummy!

Drydown: roses and candies, so so yummy! Light and girly, refreshing! Ooooo, this is the perfect summer and spring girly perfume. Beautiful :wub2:

This is so unbelievably gorgeous! I bought this mainly for the concept, because I am very much into Tibetan folklore and culture, but this blend did not disappoint! I love these soft juicy roses with sweet lotus. This is voluptuous and womanly and perfectly balanced. I have been looking high and low for a signature rose scent, because I have always loved roses, and I have found my holy grail rose perfume in Kurukulla.

1-5 rating: 5

:wub2:

This is a very pretty, and well-balanced, blend of lotus and rose. Neither becomes too overpowering; it just blends to create a nice, sweet, light floral. Not quite to my own personal tastes, but still a very pleasant experience overall. If you don't *quite* like either lotus or rose, you may still want to try this, because they really do balance each other well in this blend. And if you *do* like the abovementioned notes, then this is a must-have.

this is so sweet and delicious. its like ooey gooey sugar draped over the florals. im usually not a lotus person either but this really converted me on the initial whiff.

applied: i smell much of both but the lotus becomes more pronounced.

overall: ADDING IT TO THE WISHLIST!

Wow, I was totally off on this one! Right away, I get musky fruit of an undetermined type. Maybe a toned down peach? Rose was undetected until I read the notes, and yes, rose appears, but it is behaving pretty well on my skin. More like a sweet pink rose, and not a whiff of sourness at all. This is very well blended, and I guess the fruitiness must be the translation of lotus to me. Overall, this is just a little too florally sweet, and the "peachiness" is something I don't like pretty much in any perfume. Off to swaps.

In the Vial: Smells almost winey! How odd. :lol:

Wet: Very fruity and quickly morphs into something sour. I'm guessing it's the rose going sour on me and the lotus being sweet.

Drydown: Still sour. Ick.

Verdict: Nope, not for me whatsoever. Thank you to Dianora who frimped this to me, but this is gonna have to find a new home. Eww.

This was a frimp, and definitely not something I had considered before. I'm a bit wary of floral blends smelling, well, too flowery. When I popped the imp to sniff at it, I was greeted with this delicious wafting of something slightly sweet, perhaps a dark nectar. On my skin it opened up and became this rich and deep scent that only barely reminded me of florals. Now that I've looked the scent up, yes it is a floral scent, but it's darker and not as sharp as many of the other floral blends I've tried. I'm enjoying this scent quite a lot actually.

In the imp: Sweet syrup...like crushed sweet tarts. Strange..not what I was expecting at all!

Wet: A quick burst of the fruit tarts smell and then all of the sharp floral notes start to show up to the party. The rose in this very very sharp...almost headache-inducing.

Dry: This dries into a super floral-scented powder on my skin.

Overall: Not for me. Unfortuantely it reminds me f old people and medicine :ack:

My first review!!!

In the vial smelt of sweet roses, I'm not familiar with lotus so I can't really pick it out.

At first pretty and floral then i forgot about it whilst busying myself with everyday things and found myself wondering what was smelling like peach air freshner .......oh......it was me ....... well kurukulla to be exact. It's not unpleasant just a bit twee and room fragrance like.

I'll try it again another day to see if I feel the same.

Edit to say that after a little while longer it turned into beautiful sweet floral, a keeper.

Edited by vampbarbie

Sweeet! It's like Beth has taken the sweetest roses and the sweetest lotus blooms and put them all into one blend of yuminess!!

The lotus is the front runner when this is first applied. It's almost like bubblegum but with a twist. The roses are there but they're very sweet and just slightly more in the background. It's like sugar coated petals. But as it dries the rose comes forward more and the balance is perfect.

I'm not a fan of mega rose blends...but this is really really nice. It's so pretty and sweet and would be a really nice daytime scent because it's got a good amount of throw but..it's not an overpowering scent. It smells delicate like fairydust or something hehe.

This is a winner. If you like...sweet, girly...youthful kind of scents this one is for you!

A really tangy floral in the imp, which I think is the roses and the lotuses playing off of each other, and it's the same on my skin, and utterly beautiful. It morphs into a tangy scent that's reminiscent of Bathsheba and The Witch Queen; nice scents, but, not anything I particularly need a bottle of.

Edited by Venneh

On me, this is mostly rose - a very light, tempered rose with a slightly "green" note to it. This is one of those perfumes that you could wear in a crowd and not offend anyone! :-)

It's a light, pink type rose - not a "get in your face" type of rose. Definitely something I'd wear again. Throw is very moderate - this stays close to the skin on me.

Argh, I don't think lotus and rose mix well on my skin. Either alone in a different blend is fine--Bastet has lotus and worked on me, and I have many rose blends that work on me as well--but the two together just don't agree with my body chemistry and take on a certain steaming-dog-poop undertone when mixing with it. :ack: Oh well.

Imp: The citrus scent of lotus and That Rose. The weird pink rose that goes wonky on me.

Wet: The rose gets sour and icky and combines with the citrus-y tang of the lotus to make this resoundingly unpleasant. There is an extra kick in the pants because I can smell the other roses in this and they are gorgeous.

Dry: Some of the sour rose dries off and I get a basic rose scent with some lotus. This smells a lot like Lady Luck Blues on my skin, weirdly. The longer it sits on my skin the more a sweeter rose comes out to play. It's a bit more velvety but there is ultimately something very cloying and sour to this scent overall.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: Eh. It's not playing nice on my skin and I'm not fussy about it in general. There's a lot of potential here, I'm just not playing nice with one of the ingredients.

Wet -- at first it was all lotus, sweet and floral but different, not a boring floral. Then the rose came out. For a while it was just rose. I think I can smell the white roses that are in Parlement of Foules and also some darker pink roses. Then the lotus came back.

Dry -- The roses and lotuses blend and balance but at times it seems more one than the other. I really love this. Lotus is a moist almost aquatic floral so the effect is almost juicy. The scent is sweet and full, but it isn't a sugary sweetness. The lotus is an unusual note so it doesn't smell generic or like just another floral. I think the simpler scents can have a big effect on your mood because there aren't many competing notes so each one makes an impression. This scent makes me feel optimistic, confident, beautiful. Medium throw.

Later -- it finishes as mostly lotus on me. I tend to re-apply after about four hours because of my bpal eating skin. This is a new favorite.

Edited by Myrrha

Definite rosey scent to start. It's pleasant, but I only smell the roses. They overwhelm anything else.

In the imp, before I checked the notes, I thought Kurukulla was maybe a blend of rose and something like pomegranate . . . something fruity and tangy. Maybe it's the combo of lotus and roses.

On my skin, it turns into bubble gum and roses. It's nice, but as it's drying the lotus becomes more floral and picks up that new carpet thing that I HAAAATE. Ugh. Away with you.

If it had stayed sweet-with-roses I would have been interested. Mark this a victory for EVIL CHEMISTRY.

I should have known better than to try this one, but I wanted to give it a shot.

Wet: BUBBLEGUM. As expected. Rose-scented bubblegum.

Dry: The rose starts to come out more, but the sickly sweet lotus-bubblegum note is still ruining the whole thing. Lotus hates me. Three lotuses hate me times three.

Overall: Lotus always turns to bubblegum on my skin, so I'm not surprised at all that this didn't work for me.

Uh, yeah, florals upon florals and rose to boot . . . I don't see this working very well for me. But I'm making it a point to try all frimps I'm given just to educate my nose :D

In the imp - surprisingly light for something with so much rose - distant florals.

On wet - very sweet and delicate, must be the lotus. I'm pleasantly surprised even if I won't be wearing this.

Drydown - nope, nevermind, here comes the rose. Very sweet, very floral. A bit too much of everything. As anticipated, not my kind of blend, but I am beginning to appreciate the Lab's lotus note.

I am a rose lover but this one must have flown under the radar for me. I received this as a frimp from the lab. While I remembered looking up the notes and seeing rose, when i smelled it after some wear, it was all fruit. Someone mentioned Persephone as being similar and I agree (from memory, not side by side). I can't pick out one fruit, it'sm ore like a mixture of peaches and strawberries, maybe.

After I reapplied to type this, the rose is strong at first. So it takes a few minutes before the fruitiness comes out.

This smells very pretty. I will keep the imp and wouldn't turn away a bottle, but i'm also not going to seek it out. it doesn't blow me away.

I really like this one, surprisingly. I do love me some lotus, but rose and I do not get along. The lotus adds quite a bit of sweetness and keeps it from being at all old-ladyish. It's definitely feminine, but in a good way. While it's not a "love," it's definitely a "like," and I'm going to hang onto the imp for sure.

Kurukulla

My first thought was the lab's wine note. This smells like boozy roses to me. I'm a rose fan, and I like it. Don't think it's my favorite BPAL rose, but I'll hang on to the imp.

Definitely rose and lotus, but the rose note is much stronger. The lotus is sweet, but not bubblegum sweet like it usually is on my skin.

ohmygoodness. this oil was such a sweet little surprise. i initially thought there was a wine note in this, or a peach champagne, something fruity, but i learned upon reading a few of the reviews that what i was probably smelling was the fruity sweetness of lotus(!); now i know what lotus smells like!

the rose joins this sweet, fruity party once it hits the skin, and ohmygoodgod. it is just. beautiful. someone else labeled this an effervescent rose, and really, i think i can stop there, because that pretty solidly nails it. just gorgeous.