Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Terror

Smells like a basement or cellar

Hopefully this makes sense to other people. I'm looking for scents that remind you of a cool, damp basement. Like, when it's so hot in the summer and you walk down into the basement where the temperature drops 10 degrees, and everything is suddenly still, dim, and quiet. It's a smell that reminds me of dampnessdust, dirt, ozone, concrete, and musty old furniture. Maybe a smell like old people, like your grandparent's house.

I'd love any recommendations but I'd especially love recommendations for scents I can get as imps from the main website (vs limited editions).

Thanks!

The Old Robber-Woman smells exactly like my grandfather's basement. (He was a mechanic so that basement smelled more like oil and grease and old metal, but the mustiness is there.)

I'm vague on specific oils, but I'd look for black musk, oakmoss, and oude.

Edit: Old Moon 2011 The scent of things drifting just on the edge of memory, hiding in shadowed corners. Old, yellowing books, dust-covered toys pushed to the back of the attic, windows obscured by thick, thorny vines, letters discarded, and photographs of people long-forgotten.

This might smell more plastic-y than you'd like though. It does indeed smell dusty.

Haunted Houses (Halloweenies) Quiet, ineffective ghosts haunting the realm of mystery and night, stretching dusty hands back to homes and lifetimes unforgotten: pale gossamer musks swirling in thick, dense otherworldly vapours through cracks in dry wood and old, old stones.

from GC's the only one I can think of offhand is Robin Goodfellow which is rotting wood and plants on me. Maybe Phonenix Steamworks which smelled like a workshop with sage to me. That one might be a little bright for you.

Edited by patina

Not available as an imp but The Day Burned White from the Clive Barker scents could fit the bill. 

Clean, old house is exactly what I got from The Harlot's House.  Old 1950's house wooden floor boards and a clean mustininess with an overlay of herbs and florals.  Don't know if we share the same nose though.  :smile:

The Rat Speakers is a really nice dirt scent.  And I'd second Robin Goodfellow as a dusy, herbal, wood blend, and Aelopile, which reminds me of a wood paneled room, oiled with lemon and Old English.  The Red Queen smells like antique furniture to me b/c of the mahogany, but lot's of people just get CHERRY.  You might also try Yorick which has an earth and burlap note.  It went kinda floral on me though. 😕

Like Brooms of Steel is a Yule that I don't think would be too hard to find.  It's description is - Sharp, metallic slices of snow and freezing wind with a faint hint of cellar dust, burlap, and apple.  

Also, the Trading Post had a bunch of "haunted location" atmos up a Halloween or two ago, and those might be worth looking into.  Desolate Farmhouse might be right up your alley.  They might be floating around in the swaps/sales pages.  They might also pop up on BPTP's Etsy site.  On occasion, the unsold atmos will make their way there, probably more towards Halloween.  :D 

Good hunting.

Edited by VetchVesper

So, personally, every time I come across Vetiver / Khus and Myrrh, especially together, I ALWAYS call it "Wet Basement". 

So I ran through some of my reviews, and found a few that fell in that category. I personally hate the combo? But when I try to put wet basement aside in my brain a lot of these do smell nice. But I just can't get over that wet basement vibe. Like dirt wall or wet cement floors... lol. I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Myrrh has a nice wet dampness to it, and vetiver has a musty dirty grassy thing about it.

Myrrh for me is the dampest of basements.

If you're still looking I'd say try Sloth, Lust, Black Annis, or Darkness from the GC to see if those notes hit the spot.

Edited by Aveya

The Chilling Cellar.

Obvious in name, but it really is an old crumbling basement with vinegars and dryness.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've seen some decants of it around the forums and it seems like worth checking out if you're on a basement tour

It Sifts from Leaden Sieves was smelling very "dad's garage" to me the other day and I'm thinking that might be the same as some folks' basement/cellar....