Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
EvilKitten

Thunderbird

Wakinyan, Hohoq, Kw-Uhnx-Wa. With eyes of fire, its glance is lightning, and thunder erupts as the great, sacred bird claps its mighty wings. A willing guardian and protector of mankind, a wise and benevolent teacher, and the creator of life-giving storms. The sharp tang of ozone and the deep bass growl of thunder over mountain trees.

I think this scent is amazing. I don't get either melons or floral from this at all, though. It smells like a mix of white and green, maybe clouds and grass. The ozone in the background is far more detectable than I thought it was in Storm Moon. It's very strong when I first put it on, but after a few minutes, it calms down and becomes very mellow, but very fresh. I really love this. It is really fantastic. :P

Initial Sniff: Ozone and fresh mountain air. This truly is the smell of the air right before a storm - after the thunder has started, but before the rain makes its appearance.

Wearing: This stays true to the scent in the vial for the first 30 minutes or so, then it starts to get sweeter. It remains beautiful, fresh, and stormy - it just loses a bit of its crispness. Unfortunately it fades away very quickly.

Final Impressions: I like this a lot, and I'm a bit sad that I didn't order a big bottle. It isn't my usual sort of scent, but it is very nice indeed!

Tons of Ozone and ...well...thunder. The scent of summer storms on the water and the crackle of lightning in the air. This went a little floral on me as it dried down, like a bunch of white flowers soaked after a summer storm. Pretty and refreshing but I'm also rather allergic to it. Gah... figures :P

The sharp tang of ozone and the deep bass growl of thunder over mountain trees

Thunderbird - From the Oblation Caravan circular swap.

In the bottle: Ozone, but sweet. Very interesting, really. :P

On me: Crisp, sweet, and masculine. Definitely smells kind of like Storm Moon to me, but the sweet note makes it infinitely better. I find this to be quite masculine...

Normally the ozone scents don't work for me, but this one is fantastic. Instead of a "storm cloud" effect, though, I get a fresh, spring-like plant smell. It's refreshing and actually comes out a little citrusy on me. Very pleasant, light, but not overly feminine. Smells wonderful on my man as well! :P

I keep going back and forth between loving the green ozone scent and hating the "rain scent dryer sheet" scent. I can't decide, so I will have to try this one again. :P

The Lab gifted me with a number of ozone scents with my first order, and I quickly learned that ozone tends to take over scents on my skin. So when the Oblations came out, I didn't really consider Thunderbird at all because it seemed obvious that it would contain ozone. I got a chance to try this scent thanks to the Oblation Caravan.

Well, there's definitely ozone in Thunderbird... but it's somewhat sweet and green during the wet phase, definitely different from the other ozone scents that I've tried. As it dries down, Thunderbird becomes almost pure ozone and brings to my mind a grey and forboding sky. It then becomes sweeter again, almost like the sun coming out after a thunderstorm. Overall, Thunderbird is a very clean and pure scent.

I might have considered getting a bottle (a first for an ozone scent) if the Oblations were still around.

First sniff: Thunderbird is somehow different from all the other aquatics/stormy-sea scents I’ve smelled. It’s the same sort of ozone marine fresh scent, but there’s a presence to it that’s unique. It’s somehow… important.

Wearing: Fresh, clean, stormy and deep.

I'm not fond of ozone scents generally but Thunderbird is very nice and quite different from the other stormy BPAL scents I have tried. After the initial smell of thunderclouds, I swear I could smell beer. I wonder if there are hops in this? It's actually exactly what I expected Roadhouse to smell like (but Roadhouse smelled like ice skating rink to me :P ).

In bottle: Beautiful and crisp and zingy in the bottle. It is almost exactly the scent of the air before a mighty thunderstorm - Beth captured that perfectly. It's almost a bit fruity too - I don't remember it being this way in my previous bottle, but in this it definitely has the tang of fruit in it now.

On me: That beautiful ZAAAAAAP! fragrance on my skin. It's pretty amazing; actually - fragrances don't often stay near identical from bottle to skin. This is just as tangy and perfect as before. I may very well have to scout up a few more bottles before this is completely gone.

Thunderbird is fresh, sweet rain in the imp. Very lovely - I am a big fan of aquatics and ozone. But something gets really amplified when it hits my skin, and the little dab I put on became very overpowering. I think it was a floral note - I am having trouble reaching for words right now, because all I can remember was that the scent became very strong and gave me a bit of a headache.

It had great promise for me in the imp, but with this floral note going haywire... :P For a fresh, rainy scent, I think I will reach for one of my first loves, Tempest. (Which I recommend people try if they're looking for a rainy scent and can't get ahold of any Thunderbird!)

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Ozone.

In the imp/bottle: Sharp, bright, cold ozone.

On skin, wet: Is there anything else in this but ozone? If so, I can't catch it. It's a very sharp, powerful, strong ozone.

On skin, dry: This ends up like a dryer sheet -- ozone seems to turn into that without fail on me. It isn't quite detergent, like Storm Moon, but a definite dryer sheet.

Conclusion: Why do I keep getting scents with ozone? I adore it in the bottle, but I end up smelling like *I* just came out of the dryer!

Edited by Aredhel

Light, fresh. Very springy. Almost soapy as it dries. Smells like laundry sheets, sort of. I could see myself wearing this on bright spring/summer days: it's safe, if not particularly exciting. Long-lasting, compared to others. A little more permeating/strong.

Bottle (Imp): It's fresh and breezy.

Just On: I get the fresh and breezy, and a hint of flowers.

An hour or two later: It's still fresh and breezy, and the flowers aren't very noticeable.

Around 6 hours: The flowers have gone away now, and it's just fresh and breezy, but in a slightly different way now.

12 hours: It's almost totally gone, and I have a bare hint of breezy now.

Overall: It's nice enough, but I'm glad I saved my money for other scents that I love. On the right person, this is probably heaven on earth.

After reading other reviews: What a shock, ozone and thuinder being called fresh and breezy <g>. A thunderstorm over flowers is a very apt description. I never got any kind of fruit, citrus or otherwise out of it at all.

This scent is beautiful. Simply beautiful. I was wearing it during a thunderstorm and it lulled me into the most soothing slumber. It's fresh, it's young, it's sweet, it's clean and yummy. This is a truly masterful blend. Those who got to smell it or purchase it are lucky individuals! :P

Got Thunderbird from lilith_lemourne. I can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not; it smells so much like my Salon Selectives smoothing gel that it might be fun to have when I put a lot of gel in my hair, but I'm not sure I want to smell like that terribly often. Sadness...this one might make its way back onto the swap market.

Origin: Oblation Caravan (so, many of these are going to very short reviews because I've got about 4 of the circular swaps at once right now.)

From this one, I got a similar soapy-ozone thing i got from tempest and most ozones, with an undercurrent of green. again, I would say it's pretty, but headachey for me. :P

In the vial: Whoa, sharp! What *is* that? Very sharp.

Wet: Still sharp. (I assume, after the fact, that this is the ozone/pre-lightning smell people refer to.) Is that lemon?

Drydown: Okay, definitely something citrusy, and almost a Drakkar-like smell. Sharper, though, not as sweet. It's definitely a masculine scent.

Dry: Thunderbird has softened quite a bit. I can smell a "minty" bottom note, which must be the sage someone else has mentioned. The top note is sort of a mix between soft florals and a soft citrus. I understand the dryer sheet references people are making, but the slightly-soapy scent doesn't really bother me.

Final: Seems to be staying strong. I like this a lot, once it settles down.

My Impression:, Crisp, clean, aquatic, and ozone like. Add a lightning bolt and that is what this is to me. Totally masculine and sexy. Would love this on a man. A scent that I plan on keeping for future use. :P

In the Bottle or Imp:

Sharp, salty, crisp, all at once. Strong pine resin aroma.

Wet, on Skin:

Pine!!! And then the sharp crack of ozone followed by salty, fierce aquatic notes.

Drying Down:

The pine recedes and the aquatic notes come to the foreground, sweetening the blend and offsetting the snap of lightning ozone.

Dry on Skin:

Definitely has sweetened a lot, and the original ozone has faded. It's just pouring now, and there are occasional bursts of ozone that remind me that this is no regular rainshower.

Over Time/Longterm:

Adopts a beautiful freshwater shoreline aroma, just like Kingsport but in Thunderbird set against a backdrop of pine.

Final Verdict?

Not bad. I missed the Oblation series by just a bit, and I regret not having a chance to order this, but I will treasure the imp I did receive and will save it for those days when I need a little lightning storm.

In the imp vial, something smelled wonderfully fruity. I normally hate fruit scents with the exception of blackberry... and that's what I smelled here. It reminded me a bit of Glasgow (a favorite of mine <3).

On my skin this became a wonderfully wet fresh water and ozone smell with a hint of citrus. The citrus wasn't bitter or overpowering as it usually is on my skin though. It reminds me of the way rain water smells on the sidewalk on a warm summer day.

As it dries down I begin to smell the blackberry that I loved in the vial :P. And for hours this reminds me of Glasgow. A wetter Glasgow with a light charge of ozone and a hint of green grasses. Glasgow somehow improved. My skin chemistry LOVES this. I love this.

After about 4 hours this is very light and faint, it has gone back to something light citrus dryer sheets. I want to reapply, but I'm afraid of using up my imp. I wish that I'd gotten a bottle of this along with Cerberus...

Wet, this was pears and cream, interesting. The ozone tingled my nose a bit and emerged stronger as it dried.

Slowly this became like a Victoria's Secret rain scented body tonic I had in the 1990s... kind of a chemical scent, a blue, watery scent, but not a scent that reminds me of anything about a real rainstorm.

As time passes.... well, it seems to stay the same. I detect a slight yellow fruity smell behind the faux-rain but nothing too pervasive.

Ugh, I can't get this out of my nose!

This one is a bit odd when wet: I get a strong orange Haribo bear note followed by a metallic scent.

After the first snif I get some pine and green notes, like the ones you can smell walking through a forest.

It's a bit like Storm Moon without the lunar oils and the smoky feeling.

A fresh aquatic perfume with a strong throw. Unisex.

This works so well in my oil ring.

Nice, refreshing and clear. Truly I envision the sky as thunder clouds roll away after a heavy storm. I prefer this as a meditation/inspireing me to do beading scent.

I'm not too big on ozone on my skin. It tends to be sort of soapy and then vanish. Thunderbird vanishes rather fast upon my skin. Other than that no complaints. It's great for pow-wows if you bring an imp to re-apply every few hours.

Ozone zing! This smells like charged air right before a storm-- a strong, potent aquatic. Skyler said he smelled some citrus flower in here, and after a little wear, there is a little pit of a perfumey citrus tone. Still, this is really an unforgettable scent. Wow.