Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
EvilKitten

Thunderbird

Proceeds go to The Adopt-A-Native-Elder Program. Wakinyan, Hohoq, Kw-Uhnx-Wa. With eyes of fire, its glance is lightning, and thunder erupts as the great, sacred bird claps its mighty wings. A willing guardian and protector of mankind, a wise and benevolent teacher, and the creator of life-giving storms. The sharp tang of ozone and the deep bass growl of thunder over mountain trees.

Wow. This smells just like it is about to open up and rain. Very fresh, crisp, and tangy. It was what I was hoping for in a rain scent. I am finding that this is smelling like something a guy could wear very easily - my dad sniffed it and loved it too.

On me, it stayed very tangy.. it reminds me so much of yankee candle's storm watch (which is one of my favorite candles). I love it. Love, love, love it. This is the first bottle besides LE that I have bought unsniffed and I have fallen in LOVE.

I bought this as an xmas present for a friend of mine. He is a native american (sort-of) elder. He is part of the tribal leadership group (I'm not sure of the exact terminology) for his tribe. "The deep bass growl of thunder over mountain trees" is what reminded me of him, so I had to get it for him.

It is a wonderful clean fresh scent. I haven't tried it or smelled it on him yet but it smells very fresh and tangy...like right after a nice hard rain in a forest. Another guy friend smelled it and was like "Damn, I might even kiss him if he is wearing this!" (and this guy is very straight). I'm tempted to order more for my other guy friends :P

Thunderbird is everything I wanted Storm to be. An absolutely wonderful clean scent with a hint of menace to it, it's the sort of scent that would jolt you out of a state of shock. I don't think it's a gender specific scent, I wore it (well slathered it on, this scent makes me a slather!) and it turned into a lovely spring sort of scent. The hint of ozone pushes a wee bit on the edge of naughty. Brilliant. Try this is Zephyr was a bit too light for you and Storm too lemony :P

thunderbird is indeed a wet scent! i love the ozoneyness of it, but found it to be too sweet on my skin. i gave my brother an imp of this, i'll have to see how it sits on him! i think on me thunderbird was more of a thunderstorm over a field of flowers than a thunderstorm over the grasslands. still lovely, in its own way!

First sniff:

Oh my...this is it! This is the ozone scent I've been searching for! I've tried just about every ozone scent BPAL makes and was always turned off by the citrus tones to them, but Thunderbird...oh, yes, this is it. This is pure ozone on me. Crisp and metallic, like licking a penny (don't tell me you've never done that)...I think I'm in love. :P

Wet on skin:

Very light and clean smelling, like the air right before a major thunderstorm. This is exactly what I've been searching for in a "storm" scent. This practically screams thunder and lightning and I'm a thunderstorm addict...I love everything about them, the sound, the smell, the rain on my face...and Thunderbird is that experience trapped in a tiny bottle.

Dry down:

This one's a very stable blend. It doesn't change at all on me from bottle to dry down and that's fine by me. This is without a doubt one of my favorite BPAL scents and it's everything I ever wanted in a storm scent. Wearing this, I can close my eyes and pretend I'm standing in the middle of a field with the lightning crackling overhead and the clouds getting ready to open up.

The bottom line:

Thunderbird is gorgeous beyond words. I'll definitely be needing more of this one. :D

In the bottle: Light and a bit citrusy.

Wet: Tart lemon and ozone. Almost like walking through a lemon orchard on a windy day. It's almost too biting in this stage.

Dry: Mmmm! It's turned a bit powdery, but in this case is fantastic because it mellows the citrus out. Now I am detecting sweet greenery. I'm not getting the "over mountain trees" part. This seems more like "over rolling hills with sweet blooms." The ozone is fantastic in this one!

It actually smells like sweet honeydew. Light, airy and juicy. Yum!

When I first put it on, Thunderbird reminds me of Love's Lemon Fresh--brings me right back to 1972.

As it dries down, this scent deepens (the ozone?) into a wet citrusy storm. I generally don't enjoy citrus scents, but this one intrigues me...

Bottle ~ Either my nose is stuck on the idea of lemon, or there's just lots of it in my current order. Lemon might be the foundation of this one.

Wet ~ Lemon and ... caramel? No, maybe a floral. I'm not fond of florals, so when they're mixed with something I like, I'm not great at pinpointing them. It's not an obnoxious floral, but ... huh. It's something from a hot house. Orchid, perhaps? (Can you tell that I try not to read the descriptions before writing my reviews?)

Drying ~ Wow. This is a very sweet, candy-like floral. While I'm not smelling violets specifically, it reminds me of going into a sweetshop in San Francisco and trying some violet fudge. I swiped one wrist with this scent, and rubbed it onto the other, and I can smell this scent as I type. Very strong.

Drydown ~ *cough* Okay, at its strongest, it's flirting with my nose hairs. Not in a bad, skin-crawly way, but enough to make me back off of sniffing my wrist too often. It's still a sweet floral, but the lemon/citrus note has faded. Hee! Flowers and candy, but Spring-like. Oh, hey -- I wonder if this would go with Lush's Sakura ballistic?

Dry ~ This wafts as I move, which is quite charming. I think it'll be a good scent to wear lower on my body or under my clothes. The floral and sweet scents are starting to mingle a bit and calm each other down.

Fade ~ The sweet is now the foundation, and the floral is floating above it. Between them is a teeny bit of powdery scent; but now that the initial blasts have died down, I don't mind that at all.

Final thoughts ~ Oddly perfect for a floral for me. I didn't think I'd like this one from what I could remember of the description, but I'd be willing to buy a big bottle of it.

Thunderbird is totally not my usual type of scent, but this is just phenominal. To me it is clean, ozoney and almost fruity without being tart or too sweet. I expected a bit of a woodsey scent, but instead it has a hint of green to it. Usually these sort of scents fade away on me almost instantly, but this one hung around for quite a while.

The other thing I can't get over with this scent is that it reminds me of something from my childhood. It's as if I had a barbie or some sort of doll (or doll accessory) that smelled like this. This scent just brings me back to some sort of childhood innocence and comfort. I'll be breaking down and getting a 5ml in my next order.

In the bottle: Ozone and impending rain. Heavenly!

Wet: I can’t even pick anything out of this. The only image I am getting is rain. Glorious skies-about-to-pitch-a-fit-rain.

Drydown: Noooo…evil sweetness. It’s gone kind of fruity, orange? No, it’s melon. Honeydew. Melon mixed with ozone. Um…

Finally: BUM a million times bum. This now smells like rotten honeydew melon sprinkled with sugar. Bah. :P at skin chemisty.

In the bottle: i had to go and make sure my window was closed after sniffing this...it smelled like it was about to pour outside.

Wet: Sage and ozone

Dry: This is like a storm you can feel right around you, ready to unleash fury onto the earth. This is one oil that ive tried that truly 'perfumes the air' around me. this one is so going to be a big bottle when i get my check.

Thunderbird

I am in love with Thunderbird. It's such a wonderful, wet ozone scent. I've found that I love ozone and was very pleased to recieve a freebie imp of it to try in one of my last 3 orders. Good job on the imp because I am DEFINATELY going to buy a bottle of this baby.

When I first get into it, there's an almost berry sweetness swimming in ozone. On my skin it smoothes out, leaving me very happy and relaxed. It's like carrying my own little thunderstorm with me wherever I go.

Ok, where the citrus and melon everyone is smelling but me? :D

Thunderbird smells clean on me, but very light. It doesn't have a scent on me which is the first time a BPAL scent has done this and I am baffled.

I get no ozone, nothing. It does smell a bit like honeydew in the bottle, so I am trying in on cloth to see if my skin just drinks it up because I would like this in the bottle scent on me, somehow.

I will get back to this review with the rest of my data! :P

Wow, the second time I am review #13 and the second time something was too light on me. Uncanny!

Edited by Madame Nyx

In the bottle: This is lovely. I was not expecting to like this as the aquatics and I do not get along but in the vial this smells fabulous. It's airy and yet somehow sweet at the same time.

Wet: This is nice and sweet, like the smell of flowers when the rain is falling on them. And it hasn't turned into fabric softener on me yet. Just...I don't know. It's like fruit and rain. I don't get a lot of ozone feel from this because of how nice and sweet it seems. A very fresh scent. I was expecting something a whole lot darker and heavy like storm clouds but this is soft fluffy clouds, soft rain and a rainbow.

Dry down: Still that sweet after the rain smell but behind it is the first hint of fabric softener doom, which makes me very sad as I love the intiail scent of this so much.

Dry: That sweet rain is still there in the background but this scent has mostly faded away. There's a lingering fabric softener smell but the sweet rain remains quietly below that. It fades away pretty quickly so even thought I love the scent of this I doubt I'd bother to buy a bottle of it.

Of all the ozone-y blends I’ve tried so far, I think Thunderbird is my favorite! There’s definitely a tang of something from the air, ozone and something citrus. But there’s also something very subtly sweet or floral in there as well, like pear or a wild flower.

The overall effect for me is one of cirrus clouds moving quickly across the sky and bright sunlight. There’s something about Thunderbird that definitely soars.

Courtesy of the Oblation Caravan!

In the imp: Ozone.

Wet: Sweet ozone, if such a thing existed. It smells like the air does after a summer rainstorm.

Drydown: Wet trees.

Final thoughts: This is a very pretty scent. It's not sharp and harash at all like I expected an ozone scent to be. This is definitely my favorite of the Oblation blends.

Edited by inkstone

At first: Yep, ozone does that 'commercial perfume' kind of thing on me. Though I do like this one quite a bit more then many of the others.

Later: Wow, this is becoming more interesting. It almost seems like the masculine version of snow white to me.

Finally: Nope. After a bit more time its back to that acrid ozone thing. A very interesting blend, but ozone and aquatic scents wreck havoc on my skin chemistry.

Ozone deluxe!

Very clean and spirited! If you love Lightning or Storm Moon you’ll love this. (I was lucky enough to get an imp from a lovely forumite who sold me Storm Moon).

Dryer sheets? Sure, but only the fresh scent ones-nothing powdery or cloying about this oil :P

Edited by Digital_Hypoxia

Thunderbird:

Wet: Ozone and lemons. I have to concur with the masses here. :P

Drydown: Still very strong ozone with me, with something fruity in the background.. like cantalope or perhaps honeydew.

Long-term wear: Thunderbird has just a bit too much ozone for my senses to appreciate. I'm not really fond of the tang that stays on my skin with it. Off to the swaps pile, sadly.

My first review!!

In the Imp: I thought this was supposed to be ozoney? I smell melon and flowers, it is a lovely scent, maybe for a room spray, depending on how it does on my skin.

Wet: Well, I still smell melon, but there is something else there, kind of tangy...yes...I think that is the ozone I am smelling...an interesting mix.

Drydown: mmm...my partner loves it on me, wants me to get more, This could be a success.

And so, I took the imp, mixed it with everclear in a 9:1 ratio in a purse atomizer, and can't be without it now. Of course...now that the Oblation Scents are no more! Off to figure out how to make a wishlist! I need more of this.

~Thunderbird~

In the bottle

fruity, crisp

On

ooh, nice, fresh, crisp, watery, evergreen, slightly sweet and fruity like apple or pear maybe.

30 minutes

Watery, slightly sweet, slightly pine and a slight apple-y scent.

It hasn't morphed much. It's scent stays more then most. Love it!

It's a better pine blend then Ice Queen, Misseltoe, the pine Lunacy blends, or any other pine blends I can possibly think of.

Throw:

medium

Scent category:

Fruity/Watery

Summary

It smells fresh, not so much pine-y as melony as it dries. Smells like one of the Storm Moon but this is nicer with my chemisty.

It smells like pears to me at times. This blend pack some staying power too.

This is surprisngly great. Is there an Obliation scent that isn't great?

If you're looking for a pine scent that doesn't smell like a pine scent, this is for you.

Purchase again?

Yes a 5ml

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Edited by UltraViolet

This was a trick! I got this as a gimp rom the lab right when the Oblation scents were put up as LE''s. I though that I wuld wait and try it after they were gone, though, so I wouldn't be tempted to order more when I really shouldn't. Oh, I wish I'd let myself be tricked :P

In the imp: Fruity! Is that grapefruit?

wet: fresh... I love how Ozone just gives scent that little bit of 'lift'. I'm not sure how to describe it. It reminds me of the ocean. This has light pine, and a little grapefruit, and ozone.

Drying: Still very fresh and sharp... not very strong, but it does have good throw. That might seem contradictory, but it isn't trust me :D

Dry-down: There is maybe a hint of something liquorice-y in this? And somethign a little floral, vaguely similar to Lady of Shallot. It still has the fresh ozone-y scent, though

It pretty much stays this way, sharp, and light, and it lasts pretty well on my skin.

I do really like it, and if I had let myself test it before it was gone, I'm sure I would have bought a bottle. I can always try to swap, I suppose...

this started off very similar to storm moon to me - very floral. i got a little bit of tang and sweetness from this, but mostly it was white flowers. i hoped it would dry off the same way storm moon did, and let the rain come out, but it stayed flowers till the whole scent was gone. very strange. i wonder if my nose and/or skin interprets ozone as floral or something.

I am not a big fan of aquatic scents, but when I first read the description for this months ago I was intrigued.

When I got this, it was very aquatic of course (ozone?) but for some reason I could not swap it away. It is very clean and fresh and reminds me of air fresheners that are ocean scented - not something I would wear at all.

But I keep it around purely for the mood it puts me in. One of my favorite things about spring and summer are the thunderstorms, when the fresh new buds of April and May dot the trees. Their color is a pale, eye-popping green that you never see any other time of the year, and when this green is against the dark slate blue background of roiling clouds... wow I get tingles all over my skin.

We had one such a thunderstorm this weekend, the first of the year, and I had to grab the Thunderbird. :P

thunderbird is a huge, raincloud, full of electrical charges. crisp, biting, electrical storm in a bottle