Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
voodoocatwoman

Fishtail Beaver Alchemy Lab

All activism scents all the time, except we’re too self-conscious to release them. They sit on a shelf and our friends love trying them on whenever they visit. We think they’re just being nice.

Himalayan cedar and patchouli with vanilla husk and mint.

On application this scent is mint and cedar.  I don't get any patchouli or vanilla, just DREADED HAMSTER CAGE.   If you like cedar, you will love it.  It's just a resounding nope for me.  

ETA: 4 hours later...

Wait.  Hold the presses.  The hamsters have left town and taken their cage with them.  In its stead, they have left a soft combination of patchouli and vanilla.   If I can get through the cedar phase of this scent, it turns really lovely.  

In the decant, I smell vanilla mint, followed by the warm cedar, and then the patchouli.

The peppermint is pretty strong on my skin at first. It smells somewhat Lick It-esque, which I think is helped by the presence of the vanilla husk, but the cedar and patchouli are clamoring for attention behind the mint. They add a warmth to the scent that is at odds with the blast of peppermint (it's strong and has that cooling effect on the skin). The patchouli is stronger on me than it was in the vial, and I think it may be a brown variety. The patchouli and cedar are dirtying up the scent in a way that I'm not really fond of, and they seem to be getting more prominent as the mint calms down.

After several hours of wear, the patchouli is the star of the show, followed by the cedar, peppermint, and then the vanilla husk. The patchouli is reading as a brownish red variety to me now. It's much warmer than before, but the peppermint has not gone away. I am happy that the vanilla husk is more noticeable, but I prefer this scent in its early stages, when the peppermint reigned over everything. I don't need a bottle of Fishtail Beaver, but I am glad that I decided to try it! :)

Cedar/patchouli with a whiff of vanilla. It dries to a vanilla-patch-with a touch of cedar blend though. Nice, golden, warm. Good throw, good wear length.

In the decant & freshly applied, the cedar came at me with a 2x4. That faded quickly, letting the patchouli, vanilla & mint strut their stuff. After a few chaotic minutes, the patchouli emerged as the dominant note. It's my favorite, the sweet & cuddly patchouli from Goblin. The vanilla & mint pair beautifully with the patch.  Good wear length, medium throw. I like this a lot, & will wear up all of this decant. It's close enough to my beloved Goblin that I don't think I need a bottle, but definitely A++.

Edited to add: Bottle needed. This is now Patchouli & Cedar Lick It. Om nom nom! 

Edited by Teamama
More

Wet, Fishtail Beaver is all cedar and mint.  I don't mind the cedar, but mint is not my bag.  As it dries down, I get more of the patchouli and vanilla, but still too much mint for my tastes.  (I won a PIF of testable empties of all the anniversary scents, thanks to a super generous forumite; I wouldn't have tried this otherwise.  Because mint.)  It does mellow down into a lovely snuggly patch with cedar and vanilla, but I'm just not able to appreciate the mint component.  

I mostly get a vanilla mint from Fishtail that reminds me of how Alisz smelled to me before it settled -- like mostly sweet vanilla mint. There's also a bit of a dried brown quality that seems like a plant husk, and some cedar warmth.

The cedar comes out much more in drydown, and a pleasant hint of soft patch appears.

If this settles like Alisz did, the non-mint notes will come out more fully with time.

Snowblind meets dank hippie patchouli! 😍 Sweet, cooling vanilla mint makes an intriguing combination with earthy, heart of the forest patch and cedar. I almost feel like there's vetiver, the patch/cedar are that dark and earthy. It's really a nice blend! A cooling patchouli scent is not something I already own and there's something comforting and cozy about it, like I'd wear it when I have a cold.

In the imp: Patchouli and a hint of mint. Must be the 1920's.

Wet: Cedar, and a lot more mint - been a while since I discovered a new thing I amp. This one is very pleasant, not candy or toothpaste-like, and it's rounded out by the base of vanilla-infused patchouli.

Dry: A beautiful, sweet cedar blend, warmed by the vanilla and lifted by the mint. Would definitely track down a bottle.

A good long 10 hour wear time, and a medium throw.

Stars: ★★★★★