Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Revisited! ‘The Devil’s Bake Sale’ has come back to town.

I'm not sure which version I got to test, but holy cow is it good. I'm not detecting any cinnamon, so I think it might be the 2005 version.

In the imp: Vanilla frosting, straight out of the can. Oh my god sweet and oh so delicious smelling. Yum! :P

Wet: More of the same, but with some nutmeg or something. A nice warm baking scent, still with all the yummy frosting.

Dry: Cookies!! Snicker-doodle cookies. Sweet, still the lingering frosting thing going on, but mostly warm cookies, fresh out of the oven. I want to eat my arm.

Final thoughts: Foody lovers will LOVE this. I so wish I was around to horde bottles bottles of this, because it's spectacular. Wow.

(This is the 2005 version.)

On application I get melted butter. Then the dough note starts to come out and immediately goes to plastic on me. *sigh* This is going the way of Beaver Moon. I wonder if all BPAL straight baked goods scents (the ones without other notes) are not going to work on me. After a while this starts having the most interesting throw, like vanilla sugar. Unfortunately, the throw is incredibly faint, and I still smell cookie-scented plastic when I get too close to my wrist. Sadly, this one is off to the swaps.

05:

Just opening the bottle scents my room-- this stuff is STRONG! It almost has an alcohol-scent to it, not like a perfume with alcohol but like a really sweet alcoholic beverage that I just want to drink! On the skin it mellows down into a doughy cookie with frosting. Or like vanilla cake. Mmm. I don't get any spice out of this, it's all sweet and moist dough/cookie/bread. Yum

Sugar Cookie 2005 :D

This was offered on Ebay by BPAL and I was lucky enough to win. Every Christmas I bake cut out cookies from my Grandma's recipe-I started helping her when I was little. The recipe itself calls for 3 tablespoons of vanilla. After the cookies are baked, they are frosted with vanilla frosting-total vanilla overload! You know how pure vanilla smells? It is strong, maybe a little sweet with a touch of rum. Sugar Cookie-the scent-is just like that. It is sweet vanilla with a wonderful, warm, yummy cookie dough undertone. Wish I had several bottles! :P

ETA: '05 version

Wet: Butter-laden pastry.

First on: Whoa, completely unexpected spices. Something with booze as well, maybe rum? Loads of vanilla.

Dry: Sugary for sure. Unfortunately it's starting to do that plastic thing that Beaver Moon did, which is highly unfortunate. I'll wait it out, though...hopefully it's just not done morphing.

Ew. No. It's sort of lightly burnt plastic now. :P

Edited by Melissa Della

This is the 2005 version.

I hardly ever wear Sugar Cookie because it's so faint on my skin, but I wore it a couple of days ago and realized I never reviewed this, so here we go. In the bottle, this smells just exactly like butterscotch schnapps- the devil's bake sale, indeed! The boozy smell lingers while the oil is wet on the skin, but it fades into a truly faint sweet smell on me. I asked someone if they smelled cookies, and they said yes, but to my nose it's so faint I can't smell it. In the year and a half since I've had the oil, the vanilla's finally come out and it lingers on my skin for hours and hours and hours. I like it much better now. I wonder if putting Sugar Cookie in my scent locket would help- it'd probably waft better, at any rate. :P

I am reviewing the 05 sugar cookie!

It smells just like those sugar cookie candles! Well...better!!! I love it soooo much! It's warm and sweet and creamy and sugary! I really want to try the 04 version too! I will be searching for FULL bottles of these!!! YUM YUM!

'05 Version:

The first few times I wore this, I loved it. LOVE. It was gorgeous. If you are baking cookies and you cream together the butter, vanilla, and sugar, and lick the beaters, that taste is how this smelled.

Then, apparently, my body chemistry shifted. When I put it on yesterday, I had to take off running for the bathroom and wound up throwing up before I could get it all off. It smelled like rancid butter, and even after scrubbing my arms twice it still lingered. Wow. I'm going to keep this around for those times of the month when it's not awful on me, but I'm going to be very, very careful with testing it each time I use it.

I get lemon-vanilla cookies from this. Especially the lemon. But after a while it softens up and more of the cookie comes out, complete with lots of sugar!

In the imp: Buttery vanilla

On Skin: Buttery vanilla. The butter backs off and this turns into a vanilla cookie dough on my skin.

On Drydown: The vanilla gets this weird plastic edge to it. Not as bad as the vanilla plastic in Tokyo Stomp, but just enough. At this point it does kinda smell a little like vanilla frosting.

Verdict: Erm. There has got to be a vanilla oil in TS and Sugar Cookie that just doesn't work with my skin. Sad, but true. On the other hand, I have a friend that will probably love this.

I'm pretty sure the decant I got was the 05 version, because I didn't smell any cinnamon in the imp or on my skin. It was very buttery and insanely sweet--not as nice smelling as my mother's sugar cookies, but achingly close. DELICIOUS!

pretty darn straight up vanilla and sugar to me! i have the 2005 version and it's totally lovely, all buttercreamy (but not BUTTER, you know, just creamyer than straight up vanilla and sugar). it fades down to nothing on me fairly quickly however - this one goes rigtht in a scent locket since it's one of the ultimate comfort scents!

This is for the 05 version, I think.

Sugar Cookie is very buttery. It's pretty much all I can smell. Butter with a hint of vanilla. I smell like a popcorn Jelly Belly.

Not lovin it....kinda barfy. Sorry! :P

Sugar Cookie 2005

When I saw this on the list of backstock at the trunk show I knew I had to have it. But why? I don't know. Because I am NOT a foodie at all. I've never smelled it, and had no idea what to expect. But I had to buy it.

Wow, what a surprise! In the bottle this smells exactly like cookies my mother used to make. They were sourcream sugar cookies, with browned butter icing. I don't have the recipe, so I've no clue what sort of ingredients she used, other than the obvious, butter, sugar, etc.

On my skin, cookies... but then my chemistry comes alive and grabs a hold of the very subtle spice in this scent and brings it out to play. Mmmmm.

This is a VERY strong scent. Two drops for my entire body, including my hair, is just enough without being overpowering. Even so, you can smell it across the room (according to hubby), not strongly, just wisps of scent. (which in my opinion is perfect)

I'm so glad it called to me, and I listened :P

2005 Version

Caramel, caramel, and more caramel. I smell like a Werther's Original candy! There's only the faintest hint of flour and pastry lurking in the background - not enough for it to actually smell like cookies on me, which is sad.

After an hour or so, it ends up smelling nearly the same as dry Miskatonic University does on me. :P

Conclusion: It's nice, but I don't actually want to smell like caramel candy, and I already have Misk U for when I need a dusty brown sugar drydown. Looks like no cookie goodness for me and my skin chemistry. :D

wow, this is YUMMY. i don't have much luck with bpal foody blends, but this is ooey gooey caramel goodness. i don't know that it smells like a COOKIE, but it sure is delicious. mmm. (this is a review of sugar cookie 05.)

I got a full bottle of Sugar Cookie 2004 on Ebay almost 6 months ago and realised I haven't reviewed.

In the Bottle: First, I don't even need to open the bottle to smell this, I can smell it as soon as I pick it up. Its really spicey in a nutmeg-y cinnamony cardamomy way and I only get a very, very light hint of sweet vanilla and butter. It also has a strange doughy aroma. Its so many scents at once, it makes my mouth watery...in the bad, bitter watery way. =(

On my skin: Ah! Get it off! Smells like cinnamon and nutmeg being burned in buttery Playdoh...topped off by vanilla and badly overcooked/burned caramel. Its really overwhelming!

*sniff* I really wanted this to work...Sugary sweet things usually love me. But this is just too spicey and has too much of a dough smell. I seem to be having the same problem with Gingerbread Poppit 2007, 2005 loved me very much and is now almost gone, but 2007 is really spicey and doughy.

This will be going on Ebay quite soon or I'm willing to swap if anyone is interested. *sniffles*

this is for '04

in the vial: good GODDESS! sugar cookie dough!!! :D

wet on skin: cinnamon, sugar deliciousness! :P

dry down: this has stayed consistent the whole way through, which is to say, totally. amazing.

in all: NOW i understand what all the fuss is about! time to get in line for a bottle!

:D

Sugar Cookie 2004 -- well aged!

Very yummy cinnamon sugar cookies. More cinnamon than 2005, so I'm going to go ahead and swap this for something else.

Don't get me wrong, it's very scrumptious and lovely. I just don't see myself wearing it a lot. :P

Someone gifted me with a sniffie of the 05' version, and I'm just now getting around to trying it.

In the vial: Buttery like shortbread. Reminds me of Eat Me and Mr. Nancy, but without the fruit from either of them.

Wet: Vanilla candy corn. A simple vanilla sugar scent. Some people might consider this a bit candley, afterall this sniffy is about three years old, but ultimately it is difficult to find a vanilla this strong. As it dries I am detecting even more sweetness. It's less complex than Midway. And I think it's even more sugary, which I would not have thought possible.

Dry: Not bad at all. This is still sweet vanilla. Simple and direct. I think I like Midway better, but this is still very nice. I would buy it if it were re-released.

Creamy butter and tons of sugar, with an edge of spices. If this had a hint of a dusty flour note it would smell exactly like sugar cookie dough - as it is, it's pretty close, and absolutely lovely.

'08 version

YUM!!! :D

This is so wonderful! I was a little worried because in the bottle is was *strong* and super super sweet, but on my skin it immediently mellows out and some delicious spice comes out, but it isn't "spicy!".

As it dries down further, the spice recedes and I'm left with one of the most comforting scents I've ever smelled. It makes me feel like a kid again, being wrapped up in a warm blanket, staring at the christmas tree, and sleepily eating my cookie before bed.

I really have no idea how to else describe this other than just "perfect". It's not as sweet a I expected (luckily) and I think this will be a fanstastic holiday scent.

I need another bottle. :P And for someone who doesn't like a whole lot of foody scents (except for Gingerbread Poppet & Trick or Treat because they are mostly spice on me), that's saying a lot.

ETA: This has a hell of a throw, so a little goes a long way.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

O5' Version

This is delicious. It is foody, but still wearable. It smells like ultra sweet vanilla brown sugar with a heavy dose of booze. It started off frighteningly strong, but after it dried it mellowed into a lovely boozy vanilla sugar. Like thick buttery vanilla. Really nice.

Previous reviewer was dead on! It smells like vanilla, boozy, sugar cookie with just a hint of caramel. :P However, on the drydown, it smells like a mild spicy sugar cookie!!!! Maybe even a snickerdoodle!!!! :D I love it, I am glad I have a bottle, and I think I will wear this throughout the holiday season!!!!

:D

bottle: wow! is this ever strong! this smells just like snickerdoodle cookie dough, just before you roll it around in cinnamon.

wet: this is so sweet. and a little stays a very long while on my skin. this is creamy and sweet and buttery without making me sick (for once).

dry: this is more tame than butter rum cookie when dry in that i don't think that people across town can smell my perfume. it still smells exactly like snickerdoodle dough on me which really makes me want to bake up some cookies.