Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Affectionately nicknamed 'The Devil's Bake Sale'.

2011 version ~

This totally reminds me of raw sugar cookie dough and it is delicious. I need a bottle. Real.

:wub2:

I never had the opportunity to try any past versions of this so I was very excited when it was included with the Yules this year! This scent is everything I love: vanilla, rich spices, a warm, creamy undertone and the delight inducing sugary aspect. The throw is pretty incredible! I can't wait to see what happens to this in it's first year of aging (if I last that long without dousing myself in it everyday),

In the imp: After sniffing literally *all* of the Yule update today, I can safely say that this fragrance triggers the most happiness in me. I smiled automatically at the yummy, sugary, spicy, cookies.

Wet on my skin: Translating pretty much the same as in the decant. So cheerful!

Drying: Oh no... my skin is amping a cinnamon note. I'm allergic to cinnamon, and I won't be able to wear Sugar Cookie if this is what happens. From farther away, it still smells like cookies, but my nose wrinkles in despair over cinnamon if I get close.

Dry: Dang it. Cinnamon has ruined a potential winner here. If I get a little distance I can definitely smell some of the things I liked about this oil, but when my arms get close to my face I fear an allergic reaction. I can't wear this.

Of course, my skin DOES amp cinnamon, and I am allergic, so this is totally my unique experience. I'm sure this is lovely on/for others.

Sugar Cookie 2011:

Aahh, the elusive Sugar Cookie. After reading the reviews (and there were plenty!) my mouth was watering at the very thought of it! I had never had the pleasure of trying it before, so this is my first time :blush:

Wet on skin: Sweet, spicy vanilla goodness.

As it settles in: I smell a fluffy lemony note coming forth. It only adds to the yumminess. There is a certain sharpness about this blend which stops it from being sickly sweet. And it's BEAUTIFUL!

I just want to smell myself all day. It actually makes me feel like real food could never taste as good. :yum:

Overall: I am speechless at how wonderful this smells. If you are hesitant, grab yourself some, because this baby does not dissappoint!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars. I would give it more stars too... :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

I can't believe it's taken me this long to try Sugar Cookie. I have the 2011 version (the one with the girl kissing a reindeer on the label) and it is sublime. Sweet, biscuity goodness. I've been slathering with this since yesterday morning and I am totally hooked. YOM.

Way too spicy for me and how they call it sugar cookie is a mystery. When I think of sugar cookies I think of buttery vanilla creations. Pooey! :rantrave: Another issue is that label. I ordered several of the Yules and unless the picture gives it away you are lost trying to read the miniscule type which to make matters worse is a burgandy/red lettering on a black background. Insane. :ack:

In the imp: After sniffing literally *all* of the Yule update today, I can safely say that this fragrance triggers the most happiness in me. I smiled automatically at the yummy, sugary, spicy, cookies.

Wet on my skin: Translating pretty much the same as in the decant. So cheerful!

Drying: Oh no... my skin is amping a cinnamon note. I'm allergic to cinnamon, and I won't be able to wear Sugar Cookie if this is what happens. From farther away, it still smells like cookies, but my nose wrinkles in despair over cinnamon if I get close.

Dry: Dang it. Cinnamon has ruined a potential winner here. If I get a little distance I can definitely smell some of the things I liked about this oil, but when my arms get close to my face I fear an allergic reaction. I can't wear this.

Of course, my skin DOES amp cinnamon, and I am allergic, so this is totally my unique experience. I'm sure this is lovely on/for others.

You said it! It's name is misleading, it should be "spice cookie!"

Just received my 2011 bottle and...oh dear. :( I was a big fan of the 2005 and 2008 Sugar Cookies. I loved them to bits. This just doesn't smell nearly the same on me. It's like it's lacking all the sweetness and fresh-baked smell that attracted me to this scent.

In the bottle, it's mixed spice.

Fresh on skin, spice, a little hint of cookie.

Drying on skin, the nutmeg amps up and takes prime position. I like nutmeg and all, but this is NUTMEG NUTMEG NUTMEG.

Dry on skin, nutmeg cookie. No real sweetness, just spice.

I really really hope this improves a bit with age, or else this one is a pure heartbreaker!

EDIT: I've come to revise my assessment of this scent after wearing it a bit. It's still not what I wanted/expected from Sugar Cookie but the scent is 100% similar to kruidnoten or speculaas (Dutch people will know what this is). It is the exact same smell as those. Not exactly sugar cookies - but if you're a big fan of Sinterklaas, maybe this is for you!

Edited by Korrok

This is the 2011 version. In the imp, delicious butter cookie with a touch of spice. On, the other way around, spice to the extreme with a touch of cookie. I wish it would smell like the wet stage on me, but the spice, (I think it's nutmeg, as a previous reviewer noted), is just the loud star player and definitely demands attention. I get a touch of booze here as well. Not for me, but nice to try!

This definitely has more spice than I was expecting since sugar cookies don't typically have spice in them. It's got definite notes of nutmeg and cinnamon. Happily, the sweetness still comes through on me and the spices don't overwhelm (although from a distance they are the main scent)

After several hours of wear it smells like perfect raw sugar cookie dough. The spice backs off as it wears.

YUCK.

This doesn't smell like a sugar cookie to me at any point. It's just nasty. :(

Edited to add: Ok, I'll try to at least say something useful. From this I get too much sour booze and too much spice. It's like it lacks a base note on my skin. It does have a truly incredible throw.

Edited by MCS4096

2011: is totally different :eek:

not so rich, not so creamy, not so sugary, just spicy :cry2:

I did not get a bottle, I will hunt for one from last year now.. I only have a decant left..

Comparing it to the 2005 on my other wrist, 2011 is way more spicy. It lacks the subtle sugary creaminess of 2005. It's not bad, but it reminds me more of the chewy ginger cookies that my grandparents make for Christmas.

I am a big fan of spices and cookies but this one was a fail for me :huh?: its all spices and burned cookies and makes me sick in my stomache. off to my friend who really loved it :D

2011 version.

Initial diagnosis: Mmm. Buttery. Semi sweet. A bit artificial. Don't mind. A few minutes in... Not sugar cookie... Oatmeal raisin cookie. Cinnamon, my nemesis--we meet again. Of course I'm amping you and your sidekick butter.

Final diagnosis: Beautiful if you love oatmeal raisin cookies. Dissappointing if you expected a sugar cookie.

I LOVE the 2008 version of this, it's a wonderful sugar cookie with a touch of spice- but the other years have been epic fails for me- especially 2011!!

2011: The only other Sugar Cookie I have tried up until now is 2008's, which turned out to be like burnt plastic with a hint of cinnamon. Weird. This year's is different but I don't think it will work for me either. Instead, in the vial, it has a plastic undertone, that while not burnt, reminds me of the plastic note I get in Egg Nog. This is like a more sugary Egg Nog with a weird vegetable note in it? On me, it stays strong and maintains that weird, indescribable acidic vegetable note in there.

After some thinking, I realized what it smelled like on me: Lush's Wiccy or Red Rooster Anyone who has tried Red Rooster knows what I'm talking about. Blech. Bizarre.

Note that this is for the 2011 version.

In the decant: Warm sweet sugared butter, somewhat melted. Alas, I am feeling like this might turn out like Jack (one of the few scents ever that I had to wash off as it was rancid butter).

Wet: Cinnamon and a citrus note, not unlike lemon zest, show up. This is a cool scent now.

The dry-down: An incredible morpher, this one. A bit like an allspice-flavoured cookie/biscuit. Very light. And yet, when I put my nose close to my arm, there's just a hint of that nasty butter note that might be turning rancid. :(

Edited by thekittenkat

Sugar Cookie 2011

This started out beautifully. So beautifully that I slathered this everywhere. A very dry, powdery sort of cinnamon crusted on top of a sugar cookie. More like snickerdoodles than a pure sugar coolie, but not complaining.

Then, about a half-hour ago, I got this pervasive smell of vinegar that turned into something just plain wrong... Turns out that this went pretty much straight to Play-Doh on my skin after two hours. Oh, jeezus, get it off me! This is the only scent so far that has required me to wash it off at work, and since I slathered on my neck, well... :(

I don't think this is a skin chemistry issue either. The other bakery scent that I love is Ops, and it did nothing like this on my skin, even though it started off very similarly. Since I can't get to it from where I am right now, I'll have to edit this post after I dual-test this tonight to make sure that it's not me or odd hormones, it's Sugar Cookie.

How odd. Two hours and it was fine, but now it's downright gross.

2011 Version

On the skin: Plastic snickerdoodles? Argh! Where is that plastic coming from? Kinda boozy as well. So sad this one isn't right for my skin.

Not sure I like this version. It's definitely heavy on the spice, so much so that I wondered if I'd gotten a mislabeled bottle. It still starts off decently enough, but after a while it starts to go a little bit plasticy and I never quite get a sense of sugar cookies.

I'm going to let this one sit for a month or two and see if the spice settles down. It's not BAD, but it's not what I was expecting.

ETA: a year later, I like this one a lot more. It's much more cookie-ish. It's still more of a snickerdoodle than a sugar cookie, but still really good.

Edited by Viridian

In the Imp (ITI): This smells very strongly of vanilla-infused sugar cookies, heavy on the sugar.

Wet: Color me surprised, but the scent morphs to a mighly spiced medley of cinnamon and nutmeg with a little dough behind it. If it stays like this, I may actualy keep it!

Dry: Dang, it went back to sugar cookie dough with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Sadly, the dough i more prominent and it's just too foody.

2008 Version

This is a delicious buttery cookie. There's something almost dusty about it, though... possibly the aging of the sugar note. It fades as it dries, though. I want to eat my arm! wub.gif

LATER EDIT: This now smells like stale vegetable oil to me in the bottle, and it's not much better on my skin. Because I purchased this from a seller on LJ who was suspended from the community for, among other things, selling adulterated oils, I strongly suspect that this bottle may have been diluted with some other sort of oil that has since gone stale/bad. So please take this review with a grain of salt -- it's probably not "pure" Sugar Cookie.

Edited by sunlitgarden

2011 version

Sugar Cookie and I have a distinctly hostile relationship. Previous incarnations were fake vanilla. In this case, the vanilla is less fake, but the nutmeg has been amped up and it ends up smelling JUST LIKE the Yankee Candle Sugar Cookie candle. Meaning that its got a waxy feel to it, which is great if it makes you think beeswax, but in this case it ends up waxy and fake.

SKIN FAIL.

Affectionately nicknamed 'The Devil's Bake Sale'.

Got an imp of the 2011 version from OrangeBlossom05!

When I saw that other reviewers were saying the 2011 version had a lot of spice, I knew I had to get this- my skin chem adores spice.

In the imp: Wow, this is boozy. It smells a bit like egg nog with a dash of nutmeg added on top. Yummmm.

Wet: Raw cookie dough!!! :heart: Oh my god, I am seeing a warm kitchen in the evening, snow falling outside the window, while hunks of cookie dough lie on a cookie sheet, waiting for the oven to preheat. It's taking all my willpower not to nom on my wrist!

Dry-down: The spices surge forward. It's like I snatched some of the raw dough to eat because I could no longer resist and when I tore off a chunk it released the smell of the cinnamon and nutmeg.

Dry: It's almost all warm, delicious spice, with that hint of cookie dough sweetness in the background. This is so yummy and perfect.

This blend and my skin are like a match made in heaven! I love how evocative of Christmas this is, too. I need a bottle! :wub2:

This is for the 2011 version.

In the bottle: I get a very buttery sugar cookie. Smells like raw sugar cookie dough, which sounds good in theory but I'm not so sure I want the butter scent on my skin. Despite my foodie inclinations I don't want to smell like butter.

On my skin: There we go, much better. This is the scent of a lovely fresh baked Snickerdoodle. I didn't smell any spice in the bottle but it really comes out on my skin. Luckily the butter note has completely disappeared and I smell delicious. It's a keeper.